Gregspitz

Cobra Class 14 Splitter tips??

Hello Everyone 

wondering if anyone here has a Cobra Class 14 splitter and has any tips to getting started with it. Just ordered it today and am looking forward to it. 

Thank you 

Greg

In my opinion don't try and split moss back leather. It dulls the blade really fast. Make sure it's properly tunes so a 10" by 2" test strip has a consistent thickness from the beginning to the end (fix for that is posted here somewhere). Make sure blade is honed then sharpened when needed. I like the trade in program at leather machine co.
All leather is different so test pieces first. Some will allow you to jump 2-3 ounces down, some only 1-2 ounces (also dependent on initial thickness). It's great down to about 3 ounces. I find it is too inconsistent to get pieces down to one ounce (something I need).

Dean Lapinel, MD

Dean

thanks so much

Greg Spitz MD,FACS!

PS

I use my Techsew Skiver to get down to paper thin if needed. 

Thanks 

I have the Cobra skiver and I can get real thin and consistent cuts but do you use it for veg tan leather? If you have to do multiple pass throughs for something like a wallet cc pocket is it consistent?

great first day with the Cobra Class 14 skiver...did veg tan thick and thin...and did Chromexcel without any issue..

Key is sharp blade of course...and take off relatively little at a time..

consistent end product..really happy about the machine

made a belt and a thin wallet and it was fantastic

hundreds of pictures on instagram of my work

google 922Leather

thanks everyone

https://www.instagram.com/922leather/

Just purchased a Cobra Class 14 splitter, and received it last Friday. It was easy to assemble and start operating. So far I've split 8/9 and 6/7 W & C skirting down as thin as 2/3; HO heavy skirting down to 3/4, Calf skin 3/4 down to 2/3, chrome/veg bison down to 3/4. When splitting the heavy stuff super thin, you need to do it in multiple passes rather than try to go all the way in one split. I've also leveled 8/10 down to 8/9 where I was only shaving a thin layer in some spots. All scenarios have produced excellent results: clean split level across from edge to edge.

If you try to go super thin (1/2 oz), the grooved feed roller prints from the flesh side through to the grain side so I would not recommend it, but the machine actually split firm leather that thin. The thickness gauge on the front of the machine shows thickness in irons instead of oz, so you have to convert and/or run a test piece to measure and then readjust, but that's a minor thing.

Don't have enough experience with it yet to know how long the blade will hold its edge. or how difficult it will be to get set back up when reinstalling a sharpened blade, so I can't advise on either of those questions.

Machine was packaged well, and had been setup and tested by Steve and crew before shipment.

I'm very pleased so far.

Phil

Does anyone have a class 14 or similar for sale? Im not trying to be cheap but OMG... If the price was right i could come pick it up. Thanks a lot.    Jim

On 10/18/2019 at 7:15 PM, WildCow said:

Does anyone have a class 14 or similar for sale? Im not trying to be cheap but OMG... If the price was right i could come pick it up. Thanks a lot.    Jim

Are you still interested in the class 14 splitter?

Can it split Alran chèvre?