Ogoki

Singer 44-79 and 16x99 needles?

Hi all,

I'm looking at picking up an old 44--79, which seems to be something of a stubby 31-15 with a walking foot (originally intended for light to medium leather gloves).  The manual lists it as taking 16x99 needles up to size 25.  16x99 seems to be unavailable (at least in large sizes), but 29x3 patcher needles are of the same diameter, albeit about a millimetre and a half longer.  Is there any foreseeable reason they wouldn't work with a needle bar adjustment?

http://ismacs.net/needle_and_shank/needle-cross-reference-chart-round-shank.html

Also, the recommendation of size 25 needles gives me some idea as to maximum thread weight, but does anybody have any firsthand experience with the thread limitations of this machine?

Any other general comments...?  Thanks.

Did you see this chart? A longer needle would be a problem, but you can grind it down to the correct length. I am surprised this machine would take size 25 - it is enormous, for 207-277 thread IIRC. Are you sure you want to stitch with that cord on that machine?

Yeah, I linked that chart in my post... ;)  I have ground down needles in the past, but prefer simply to adjust the needle bar (one simple adjustment - in theory - vs. grinding down every needle).  Yes, the heavier, the better... but I am wondering whether anybody can confirm the actual max thread weight.

I recommend 138 as the largest for this machine.

Thanks, CowboyBob.  Any reason I couldn't run the 29x3 patcher needles with a needle bar height adjustment?