jdwhitak

Edge Bevelers: Barry King vs. Ron's

So, I'm in the market to get some edgers and I'm wondering whose edger reigns supreme. I've been able to try the Ron's out in person, but I've not tried the Barry King edgers. Also, are there any other companies out there that make high quality edgers that I should consider?

I have Barry King edgers and they work great for me.  I have never tried Ron's Tools but everyone says they are the best.  One of these days I'm going to need to get my hands on them and give them a try.

Jeremiah Watt's Horseshoe Brands also makes edgers that are supposed to be very good.

1 hour ago, Bob Blea said:

Jeremiah Watt's Horseshoe Brands also makes edgers that are supposed to be very good.

Maybe for some.  My set is rusting in the drawer.  

I have one Barry King edger, it does well, but it is really for thin leather since it only takes a tiny bit off the edge.  And you have to rest the leather you are edging on a thicker piece of leather to get it to do it's job.

Tandy edgers work every time.  But I don't like the squared off edge they create.

I have some Osborne edgers, they work, but seem to be geared towards thick thick leather.  They also need a good sharpening to start working, even new.  I have difficulty controlling how much they take off the edge - they can pretty much cut all the way through the leather if I am not careful.

Someone mentioned Feng tools for good edgers I think it was.

Thus, I am on the prowl for decent edgers as well.  With my collection of edgers that don't quite suit me, I'm a bit wary of spending even more $$.

YinTx

I have the same issue with the Barry King edger, but I'm usually using thin leather and it does an OK job for me and it holds its edge.  Never got my Tandy edger to work consistently but I've never tried to sharpen it either.

We have  a #2 and #3 from Ron and like them both very well . Each came with a metal rod to help keep them sharp .. Lay the rod down on a flat surface then lay a piece of 1500 - 2000 grit wet paper and then sharpen.. Follow up with some aluminum oxide powder and rouge and you are all set ..

The Feng edgers perform very well.  I have the 0 (0.5mm) and 1 (0.8mm) which are both very thin and it cuts soft thin chevre nicely and veg tan excellent.  

I am going to purchase the 2/3/4 when funds allow.  Everything he makes is to order so expect 20-30 days lead time plus shipping. 

what are these Ron's edge bevel tools that you speak of? 

1 hour ago, 480volt said:

Bob Douglas makes very high quality edgers, and he’s based in Wyoming.

Can you PM me sizes and prices?  Do you know what steel he uses?  The look very nice.  Would consider purchasing from Bob Douglas if only to compare the two brands.  It looks like he sells off of Facebook only? 

Bob Douglas has supplied tools to the leather industry and saddle makers in particular, for many years. His tools are beautifully made and sharp right out of the box. He and his wife Lee run a small business with no website or web based sales and while Lee will answer emails, sooner or later your going to have to pick up the phone and call if you want to place an order. Great people to deal with.

‭(307) 737-2222‬

dsctools@rangeweb.net

I have one of each, Barry King sz 2 and Ron's Edger sz 3, and both are very comparable to what they take off your edges.  

As for the Tandy's, they make two different versions,  One rounds the edge, the other squares it off.  I don't like the squaring off versions of their tools at all, I hate them, but have a full set.

There are Youtube vids out there to help you keep them sharp.

Hope this helps

Vikefan

On 2/14/2018 at 3:47 PM, YinTx said:

Maybe for some.  My set is rusting in the drawer.  

I have one Barry King edger, it does well, but it is really for thin leather since it only takes a tiny bit off the edge.  And you have to rest the leather you are edging on a thicker piece of leather to get it to do it's job.

Tandy edgers work every time.  But I don't like the squared off edge they create.

I have some Osborne edgers, they work, but seem to be geared towards thick thick leather.  They also need a good sharpening to start working, even new.  I have difficulty controlling how much they take off the edge - they can pretty much cut all the way through the leather if I am not careful.

Someone mentioned Feng tools for good edgers I think it was.

Thus, I am on the prowl for decent edgers as well.  With my collection of edgers that don't quite suit me, I'm a bit wary of spending even more $$.

YinTx

Can't believe the JW edgers didn't suit you did you get a bad set? Hell send them to me i love mine they work perfectly. 

Pick up one of the Douglas groover while you are at it, absolute best stitching groover on the market.

I know this thread is old, but I was looking through some old stuff and thought I could add to it.  I know others out there are looking.  I have 3 sizes of the Ron's I bought from Makers leather supply.  I really like them.  they came very sharp.  I believe if you ever need them done, you can send them back and Ron will resharpen them.  and if you are passing anywhere close to MLS you can try them out there.  I believe he will let you send them back if you are absolutely unhappy with them, but they wont disappoint.  

I have 6 or 7 various others and do not like any of them.  most I believe are Tandy, and like someone said earlier, it is really easy to go way to deep with the edger.  I even have a Kyoshelin from Japan that I spent over $30 on.  I don't like that one either, it seems like the two points on the side that guide you through the leather want to dig into the leather.  

P.S. I know it is misspelled I am at work and don't have it near me.  

I use a Tandy #2. It seemed to perform well enough. I got suckered into buying a Horseshoe Brand by one of Nigel's videos.

I got a #1 Horseshoe, which is a close equivalent to the Tandy #2. The Horseshoe would make marks on the top grain when used on inside curves.

Went back to the Tandy.

What performance difference should I expect with a premium edger? I appreciate quality tools when they provide a qualitative difference.

I mean... in the end, I just going to sand over it all anyway, right?

Vikefan  -- which Tandy edger makes a round profile? I am not familiar with it. Didn't know they made such a thing. Sounds like an actual improvement over what I have.

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

15 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Vikefan  -- which Tandy edger makes a round profile? I am not familiar with it. Didn't know they made such a thing. Sounds like an actual improvement over what I have.

Tandy sell two types of edge beveler

One is a simple, traditional looking tool with a wooden handle, but it doesn't seem to be on their current website, though you can see it in their Deluxe Leathercrafting set #55403-00. I wonder if they're discontinuing it? However it is available from several other suppliers, typical cost is about $12 to $15. Pros - cheap, easy to use and easy to sharpen. Cons - makes a straight cut

The other is their Craftool Pro Classic Edger # 83001, $25-99, which looks more modern, in stainless steel and has a black synthetic handle. Pros - makes a rounded cut. Cons - more expensive, but not impossibly so; needs more care in use and sharpening

An Osborne edge beveller typically costs $32 to $35. After that you're into the top range models, with higher prices

Edited by zuludog

Nigel Armitage has a review on YouTube, called, logically enough, 'Tandy Craftool Edge Beveller Review

Search YT for 'how to sharpen an edge beveler'; there are several videos. I have made a board similar to that by lb custom knives

I have the simple straight cut beveller and a set of the Craftool Pro bevellers #00 to #2 that I got when my local store (now closed) had them on offer. They do need a bit of care & practice compared to the simple one

This kind of edge shave will give you more of a round profile but take a bit more to maintain. 

https://www.abbeyengland.com/economy-hollow-edge-shave-3005.html

Hope this helps

JCUK

On 10/26/2019 at 8:50 PM, wizard of tragacanth said:

I use a Tandy #2. It seemed to perform well enough. I got suckered into buying a Horseshoe Brand by one of Nigel's videos.

I got a #1 Horseshoe, which is a close equivalent to the Tandy #2. The Horseshoe would make marks on the top grain when used on inside curves.

Went back to the Tandy.

What performance difference should I expect with a premium edger? I appreciate quality tools when they provide a qualitative difference.

I mean... in the end, I just going to sand over it all anyway, right?

nick

I really like my pro edge bevelers from Tandy. I don't like their cheap ones and I hated the horseshoe branded edge beveler with the interchangeable blades. Sold them rather quickly.