Runamuck

Hide House

Has anyone here used Hide House in California for leather. Pricing on sides seems very reasonable, just wonder if anyone has heard anything on quality of leather and if shipping is reasonable or not. Looking mainly for veg tan for belts, holsters etc.

I am fortunate enough to live near the Hide House, so I've had the opportunity to purchase directly from them. It is an amazing place. They buy from all over the world, and offer an extensive selection of leather. You can see from their catalog that they offer Wickett & Craig and Herman Oak leathers among others.

Every time I've been there I see them bundling and shipping out leather (and they ship out a lot of leather), but I have not had any experience with their mail order process. What I like best about the Hide House is the people... they offer personalized service, and they really know the business.

Hide House Catalog 2018.pdf

I have purchased quite a bit of leather from them. The quality is outstanding. Orders usually take two-three days to process. The email communication is good, they advise when the order processes, and provide a tracking number. 

I purchase from them regularly. Great prices and quality, fast shipping, etc. Call and ask for Kim, she is awesome!

My only experience with them was excellent as far as customer service goes. The hide I received was clearly marked 7-8oz, but was actually mostly 5-6 with a small section of 7oz. I can't fault them for not measuring every hide that goes out.

I kept it for other purposes, but still needed a 7-8.

I deal with them all the time and recommend them. Great service, great selection, quality, and prices.  Fast and reasonable shipping.  I've only returned a side or two, and they are very good about returns/replacements.  

I too, live close enough to go in and buy.  It's a wonderful experience.  You walk in and keep walking into the warehouse portion. You can rifle through the pallets and pallets and pallets of leather picking out what you want. They encourage this approach.  I know it doesn't answer the OP directly but they do two big buildings stacked to the ceiling and a huge shipping dept. so a lot of leather is leaving the place.

I have ordered several hides.  I get some single hides of Hermann Oak sometimes.  They only offer B grade Hermann Oak.  But the B grades I've received have been good.  I got several other leather hides for leather bags there as well.  Good service.  Tell them your requirements when you order and that will cut down on possible returns.  For instance, If I'm making large bags from hides, I ask them to not send me anything with holes in it or it will be returned.  So they comply and send me good stuff.