Mokerson

Skiving Machine

So I am on the hunt for a nice used skiving machine.  Haven't been able to find a good used Fortuna (in the states anyway) so I was looking at a FAV, but new they are still pretty steep.  So I am interested in a quality, complete, working skiving machine that isn't going to require tinkering or parts before putting to work.  if anyone is looking to part with one taking up space in your shop I would be interested.  Still considering buying new but thought I would see if anyone was looking to make some room.  Feel free to message me or post back here, thanks in advance.

John 

You should understand right away, Skiving machines are finicky. I don't care how new they are you are going to need to do some "fiddling" to get what you want. Most of that is not the machine but the operator. There is a steep learning curve along with a lot of frustration. That said, they will do a great job when the bell knife is kept extremely sharp and everything is adjusted to handle the material.

I have a Cowboy, it is  a clone of the Fortuna as are most all the remainder of them. I will consider selling mine for $1400. It is like new, not even a scratch on it plus it is both top and bottom feed. I will not pay shipping.

Ferg

Thanks Ferg.  I have read that they have a bit of a learning curve, but I was under the impression once you learned how to run them they were a great addition.  So I guess I better prep myself to deal with another finicky machine, we had a Pfaff that we bought locally and no matter what we did to the thing we could never get it to run right.  Had it serviced by one of the local dealers three of four times and just couldn't get the timing sorted and it was always having issues with the thread.  Every time I hear of a machine being finicky I think back to that damn thing.  At least now I can mentally prep myself.  :)

I am on my 3rd skiver right now. It is a Fortuna, bottom feed only, and works well, if I don't mess up the clearances. The most important clearance is between the right side of the foot and the blade. Of course, the blade needs to be sharp to be effective and be deburred.

Choosing the best feeder makes a big difference in the quality of the feeding of the material. My machine came with both a serrated steel and an abrasive stone wheel. The steel wheel is best used with veg-tan leather. The stone wheel tends to slip under veg-tan, but has positive feed for garment and chrome tanned leather and vinyl.

I keep the blade close to the foot on soft leathers and farther away for veg.

Keep the machine oiled.

I ended up putting a servo motor under my skiver table. As long as the blade is really sharp, it cuts at slow speeds as well as fast rotations. Cutting slowly leads to better flow control and less eating of the leather.

4 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I am on my 3rd skiver right now. It is a Fortuna, bottom feed only, and works well, if I don't mess up the clearances. The most important clearance is between the right side of the foot and the blade. Of course, the blade needs to be sharp to be effective and be deburred.

Choosing the best feeder makes a big difference in the quality of the feeding of the material. My machine came with both a serrated steel and an abrasive stone wheel. The steel wheel is best used with veg-tan leather. The stone wheel tends to slip under veg-tan, but has positive feed for garment and chrome tanned leather and vinyl.

Keep the machine oiled.

I ended up putting a servo motor under my skiver table. As long as the blade is really sharp, it cuts at slow speeds as well as fast rotations. Cutting slowly leads to better flow control and less eating of the leather.

Wiz,

More great info, very much appreciated!  I see more than a few desperate pleas for help in my future on this site!  :)

On 2/15/2018 at 11:35 AM, Wizcrafts said:

Keep the machine oiled.

Not to hijack this thread but I found a Fortuna locally and am wondering what a reasonable price is for an older machine that was used in a factory. It comes with a table and clutch motor. I'm planning on looking at it later this week but will want to swap a servo for the clutch.

If I remember correctly a new Fortuna can cost from $4000 up,

If the machine you are going to look at has been "Factory Used", it probably needs a new bell knife, maybe belts, and grinding wheel.

Feeder may need to be changed but you maybe can clean it. The stone feeders seem to gather fine particles and "hide" them.

Steel feeder can get fine particles in the grooves and do need cleaning.

Hopefully the machine is powered up when you go to look at it. Take some leather scrap with you.

Ferg

On 6/27/2018 at 11:28 AM, Ferg said:

If I remember correctly a new Fortuna can cost from $4000 up,

If the machine you are going to look at has been "Factory Used", it probably needs a new bell knife, maybe belts, and grinding wheel.

Feeder may need to be changed but you maybe can clean it. The stone feeders seem to gather fine particles and "hide" them.

Steel feeder can get fine particles in the grooves and do need cleaning.

Hopefully the machine is powered up when you go to look at it. Take some leather scrap with you.

Ferg

Thanks for the input. I will definitely be bringing some  scrap with me to try it out. Do you happen to know if parts are available for the older machines and who sells them?

I checked that out some time ago. I think I found a company in California, don't remember any name. Google is your friend on this one.

Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial Sewing may have something.

I put this in Google: Spare Parts for Fortuna Skiving Machines. Several possibilities.

Ferg

Edited by Ferg

I think it's Melanie Machine in LA. I was just reading old posts trying to get an idea of what to look for and what parts I'll need. I love old machines if I can find parts easily. So far I have an old Singer 111w55, a Landis splitter, an American 3 in 1 and a Kwikprint heat stamping machine. A power skiver like the Fortuna would really make things easier and reduce waste.