bermudahwin

Singer 196K205 age and maintenance

Hi

I have a Singer 196K205 that seems to be running well, albeit needs a new table and motor.

I have failed miserably to date it as the 'EY' serial numbers on the many lists seem to stop sometime prior to mine.

Can anyone suggest a date for the machine or the whereabouts of the list that takes 'EY' numbers as high as mine?

Also, you can see how tired it is, would it be worth painting, but thereby losing the transfers?

Are there any 196K205 specific users manuals other than the parts list, or can I use a 96K manual, and what is the difference.

Thank you all

Harry

196K205 a.jpg

196K205 b.jpg

196K205 c.jpg

Try ISMACS.com under Research.  There is a hyperlink for "Let Singer Date Your Machine."  I looked around and from what I can gather it was made in Clydbank, Scotland.  No more the that.  Hope this helps.

I guess its approx a mid to late 1960´s machine if not newer. My 29K71 also has a serial number starting with EY but number is lower and when I restored it I found a date 64 date (don´t recall month) on the gear box. Pretty unusual you find dates on parts but In have once restored a 29K73 and it also had a date on the gear box. Also the badge is typical for late 1950´s and 1960´s machines - don´t know for how long Singer used this "colored" badge.

Thank you, Constabulary, I have been edging to that conclusion, as I have found lower EY numbers at around 1963, just no listing of numbers in my range.

I will look at some of the parts for dating.

I looked up the trade marks which also pointed to the early 1960s.

I have written to Singer, and will follow up here, if successful.

If I were you I would repaint it with Hammertone silver. I´m sure I still have some black Singer decals from my restorations - will check. They would look like this (see below picture). Don´t know the differences in particular between 96K and 196K.I would assume the sewing capacity is the same. Major difference is the casting I guess. Both are using the same accessories like feet, needle plates and so on. I´m sure you know the College Sewing website and SewEurope, right?

image.png

That looks great, and I will be guided by the colour.

I appreciate the offer of stencils, and will PM you regarding them if that is ok.

I have found both sites, and if anything am in the 'gosh I am overwhelmed by what is available' stage at the moment.

Your machine looks exactly the finish I would hope to get, it looks great.

Best

Harry

20 hours ago, micktx said:

Try ISMACS.com under Research.  There is a hyperlink for "Let Singer Date Your Machine."  I looked around and from what I can gather it was made in Clydbank, Scotland.  No more the that.  Hope this helps.

I have just heard back from Singer...

"The number you provided is the Serial Number. We no longer have the information available to cross reference to find historical information."  as always, they were very helpful, and advised they do have a manual, which I may well follow up.

Thank you for the suggestion tho' Mick

Update: they only have the parts list, not a users or maintenance manual.

Harry

Edited by hwinbermuda
updated

Well that sucks.  Wonder why there's not much info for the 196K205.  Just thinking out loud.

Its a bit of a drag, but I am guessing, from what I have found, that its a mid 60s machine, and I am certain it runs well. They were used over here in factories for light leathergoods and footwear uppers, before lasting; I bought it from a shoe factory in Northampton in about 1995, as they were closing (pardon the apalling footwear pun).

I bought it to sew light leathergoods, and used it a fair amount, before going overseas for 7 years, during which time it was not stored in the dry conditions I had expected, but had been moved to my brothers shed! Moisture and sewing machines don't mix, but after a few hours, I have it running by hand and am looking forward to using it.  I have sourced a new motor, table, stand etc for it and have decided to refurb and paint before sending for fittng.

Thank you for your input, and if Singer don't know the details, its hard to think of anyone that would.

Best

Harry

I´m sure some of the dealers here have some more information they often have kept records of older machines. What info you need in particular?

It would have been nice to know the date of manufacture, and to get a user and maintenance manual.

I have the parts list, and generically a sewing machine is a sewing machine, and parts are available, so I suppose its not mega urgent, but it would be nice to have.

Harry