jimmy eng

Types of oil and grease to maintain machines

Hi folks,

I've started using a couple of machines that I've had for a while and was wondering what type of oil and grease you would use for it. My fabric industrial machines came with a few litres of clear machine oil (no label) which I use for them but I'm not sure if they could be used for these machines. I have a Pfaff 335-17B (Cylinder arm for Light-Medium weight material) and a generic 801 Skive machine (bottom feed, no brand name).

The 801 Skive has a grease catchment in the top left corner and I don't think every oiling port is visible or I haven't noticed them, the manual that came with it was in Chinese and I downloaded an English version but it wasn't much help (diagrams were too small). With the Pfaff 335-17B I've found the oiling ports and painted a red ring around them.

The other question I had would be when I've oiled each port do I run the machine with some scrap leather to clean off the excess oil or do I just wipe it off?

Cheers,

Jim

Jim: Good morning, I found this older link from the site that has a good bit on oil.  Im gonna leave the grease part to some others, though would like to hear some recomendations. Particularly on the open gears of my 1341 and or the singer 212.

anyway >

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/72459-right-oil/

Floyd

I always recommend using the clear sewing machine oil.It has no additives so it won't stain the material.Grease isn't good to use even on the gears of most machines because it'll dry up after while & the lint will stick to it & build-up.The clear oil takes most of the lint with it.Just one drop everywhere otherwise you'll have dripping & them not want to oil for awhile.

It's best to wipe the oil off of the foot & pressure & needlebar after it's been setting ,before you start sewing& you might even leave a towel under the foot so the feed dogs don't get oily while setting.

Ok here is my question and it's semi related (so I hope I'm not hijacking here)

I have a new Juki semi-dry head (LU-2810) that is lubed by an oil pump underneath for the hook and lower feed, but lubed by grease and wicks on everything above the bed. Zero oil on these upper parts. None. The manual has one page about lubrication and it's basically just about how to fill the lower oil tank. There is no information about grease - like what grease, how often to re-grease, etc. It is seamingly permanently lubed north of the bed according to the manual.

I come from bike shops and factory maintenance jobs. I live by the book for maintenance but this seems like machine suicide. There must be SOME kind of recommended interval for greasing these machines?

Anyone have an engineer's manual for these types of Jukis?

One thing I learned long ago is that if it engineered for grease don't oil it. Oil eventually rinses off the grease and may not supply proper lubricity for a given part.