thekid77

How to prevent dye from lightening when folding leather???

Hi friends, I have been dyeing leather with the Tandy Eco Flo Waterstain tan color. It seems like no matter how richly I apply the dye, after the leather dries, if I bend or fold it, the leather dye color in the areas that have been folded lightens up dramatically.

Does anyone know of a way to address this problem? I only get this happening with certain dyes like the tan waterstain.....it doesn't happen with black or other colors....thank yo in advance for any insight you might be able to shar with me!

Can you retouch those pieces that are affected after folding? Alternatively, can you dye the whole job after bending?

Maybe some pics can assist with ideas or suggestions.

Edited by Rockoboy
added suggestions

It's called "pull up" and it's pretty natural with leather.  The grain side of leather has high and low spots.  If you dye with a dauber you get the high spots, but not all the low spots in the grain.  So when the leather bends those light areas "pull up".  

You could try dip dyeing to see if the dye gets deeper into the grain.  Or try one of the oil dyes to see if it works better.  About the only absolute solution I know of is to find tannery dyed leather that is struck through.  Drum dyed is usually good, even when not struck through.  But struck through leather is dyed all the way through the side.  Most of it seems to be dyed outside the US, I don't think they can use the chemicals that work like that in the States.  

On 2/19/2018 at 5:32 AM, Rockoboy said:

Can you retouch those pieces that are affected after folding? Alternatively, can you dye the whole job after bending?

Maybe some pics can assist with ideas or suggestions.

Hi Rocko, thank you for the reply :) unfortunately I put the clear coat on the pieces already...but I dyed a new piece and folded it up without the clearcoat to get the distressing out of the leather. Then I went over the leather with some neatsfoot oil and that seemed to make the lightened areas blend with the dark areas. Now the leather looks very natural..

On 2/19/2018 at 9:49 AM, chiefjason said:

It's called "pull up" and it's pretty natural with leather.  The grain side of leather has high and low spots.  If you dye with a dauber you get the high spots, but not all the low spots in the grain.  So when the leather bends those light areas "pull up".  

You could try dip dyeing to see if the dye gets deeper into the grain.  Or try one of the oil dyes to see if it works better.  About the only absolute solution I know of is to find tannery dyed leather that is struck through.  Drum dyed is usually good, even when not struck through.  But struck through leather is dyed all the way through the side.  Most of it seems to be dyed outside the US, I don't think they can use the chemicals that work like that in the States.  

Hi Chief, I think you're right. Unfortunately though, dip dyeing requires a ton more dye than I can afford at the moment, but I may try that in the future....thanks for sharing your advise!

I always (well at least when possible) give the piece one more go with the colour after assembling or at least do a pre fold/bend and dye again to avoid this very thing.

Sometimes even do a pre-shape of the piece when doing the first go with colour.

I dyed my latest project with Fiebings Pro oil dye, and didn't have that problem when bending it: So, the dye may well be a factor, too.

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2364_crop.jpg

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Sheilajeanne that look almost like a funky sporran. very cool.

And yes I am sure product contribute to these issue related to dye penetration. I am waiting fro my "tandy" eco-stock to run down to order some feibings and try out.

Dye of any kind dries the leather out and causes it to split when bent. You can rub in Mink oil or a similar softener after the dye is dry and let the softener sink in for a while and then 'bend it' as little as possible. A little dye on the end of a Q tip will take care of the splits that show the hide.

If I want a real flat bend, I bend it while it is wet and sometimes hit the edge with a mallet--gently.

Sam:)