Alright guys, I posted some WIP shots of this one earlier. Now done, and ready to hand over to the client.

It is 2mm italian veg tan, with a pigment finish coat. Beautiful stuff, and great to work with. 

It is stacked up to 4 layers thick where the cardslots are on the left side, so it is a fairly substantial feeling piece, and punching those stitch holes with the awl was both character building, and a great learning experience!

The lining is 1mm chrome tanned kangaroo skin in a tan colour.

The whole thing is hand stitched, with waxed linen thread.

There is a tuck lock closure, which adds a nice bit of bling.

Enjoy! Comments, questions, and feedback is always welcome: I'm here to learn, and share what i have learned the hard way.

2018-02-20 18.55.46.jpg

2018-02-20 18.54.53.jpg

Nice looking work there Wedgetail.

2 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Nice looking work there Wedgetail.

Thanks mate!

I learned a lot from this one...

Like for starters... i should get a bell skiver (or a schar-fix? However they're spelled in ze german language), so I can consistently skive the edges and not need to punch through 8mm of veg tan with an awl! Lol

24 minutes ago, Wedgetail said:

Like for starters... i should get a bell skiver (or a schar-fix? However they're spelled in ze german language), so I can consistently skive the edges and not need to punch through 8mm of veg tan with an awl! Lol

And a hefty sewing machine and ...and...6 hours drive mate and you can practice and ponder on all sorts of machinery.

6 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

And a hefty sewing machine and ...and...6 hours drive mate and you can practice and ponder on all sorts of machinery.

hahahaha, well that does sound great! just gotta get a day off from baby duty, the day job, and the honey-do list... They are not necessarily prioritized in that order.

I'll take you up on that one day.

Very nice work there Wedgetail.  Clean lines!

Gary

Professional looking job there! 

My fingers hurt just LOOKING at all that lovely hand stitching!

I am planning to do a portfolio, too, but I hope to have a sewing machine by the time I get around to tackling the stitching!

Love the snap closure, gives it a real touch of class! :D

That is really sharp looking, wedge.

Thanks guys! I want to make one for myself now, but at the same time I don't want to do all that stitching again unless I'm getting paid for it... haha

6 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Love the snap closure, gives it a real touch of class! :D

That tuck lock is my favourite part too :) blingy, but subtle enough to be elegant still.

... Not totally practical if you want to write on both sides of the page, because it makes the left side sit unevenly...

But the hard cover book helps with that, and you wouldn't want to write on the page without something protecting the leather underneath from your pen impressions anyway. So, i figured it'll be alright!

VERY NICE!!!.....very professional in looks and craftsmanship....I am sorely impressed with your work! Just know though....you'll curse your hand work until you get a machine. I build holsters....wouldn't continue without my Techsew 5100. It's a beast of a sewing machine and very aggressive but, it just punched though 5/8" of leather tonight like it was a drill press punching through a stick of butter.

Mark

Just very nice work!  I have to agree my hands hurt lookin at it.   I have some machines and wouldnt even attempt what you did with out them.  Nice work

Ross

@MoRoadglide11 @Rossr thanks for the compliments, and you guys are so right... i desperately want some machinery in my workshop!

I enjoyed it, but stitching is not my favorite part of this work... especially doing small spacing. My Wuta 3.38 mm pricking irons = 8 stitches per inch. Lol

But unfortunately my beat up old singer 201k wasn't up to the task! =p haha

Lets say the wishlist is growing, with each project I undertake.

Elegant and classy! Looks great.