Very similar to a lefty Buscadero I recently made and posted pics of. Leather is HO 10/11 and dye is Fiebings antique black. 

Thanks for looking and have a great day! 

Josh

057.thumb.jpg.d8c8e089e7bc93a879fdac702c9eca8b.jpg017.thumb.jpg.280cd7fe943394207ea237079aea790c.jpg024.thumb.jpg.99ad29cd7258d5695bfc355416c514da.jpg030.thumb.jpg.749673bdc8a64a714349e2917079d938.jpg039.thumb.jpg.67cb749c56310e1ed6c59a18c0aa284e.jpg043.thumb.jpg.48c16140d6cdaf7e0abf051c8174f063.jpg052.thumb.jpg.4c6bf61dc2da962b1d16371491e0563f.jpg

Exquisite, heirloom work, Josh...in every aspect.

49 minutes ago, Double Daddy said:

Exquisite, heirloom work, Josh...in every aspect.

Thanks Chris, I appreciate that!

That is really grand. Great job.

That is so frickin' awesome. I want to make one of those so bad. It would also mean I would need to get a six shooter.:lol:

Hooo eeee  thats some kinda nice!   Do you find it a bit heavy on the his with 4 full reloads?

16 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

excellent work!!

Thanks OldNSlow!

15 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

That is really grand. Great job.

Thank you sir!

15 hours ago, Bodean said:

That is so frickin' awesome. I want to make one of those so bad. It would also mean I would need to get a six shooter.:lol:

Thanks Bodean! I encourage you to do both!

10 hours ago, JD62 said:

Hooo eeee  thats some kinda nice!   Do you find it a bit heavy on the his with 4 full reloads?

Thanks JD! With the cartridge belt full it's a little heavy but with the width of the belt (2-3/4") it isn't bad to carry. That said, I don't know how many of these fancy rigs get used that much. I have one myself and it mostly hangs on the wall. When I carry a sixgun it's usually in a simple pants belt mounted crossdraw or in a chest rig. Everybody is different, but for me those are less in the way when I'm out and about. That said, there is no question for me that a full western rig is cool as can be!

Thanks again for the kind words folks, have a great day! 

I love it.  

6 hours ago, Josh Ashman said:

Thanks OldNSlow!

Thank you sir!

Thanks Bodean! I encourage you to do both!

Thanks JD! With the cartridge belt full it's a little heavy but with the width of the belt (2-3/4") it isn't bad to carry. That said, I don't know how many of these fancy rigs get used that much. I have one myself and it mostly hangs on the wall. When I carry a sixgun it's usually in a simple pants belt mounted crossdraw or in a chest rig. Everybody is different, but for me those are less in the way when I'm out and about. That said, there is no question for me that a full western rig is cool as can be!

Thanks again for the kind words folks, have a great day! 

Hey Josh.

Did you use anything other that than antique black? Was it the paste?

last time i used the black it came out more greenish hue, but I used the gel.

Dang that rig is nice. I just had to say it again.

15 minutes ago, Bodean said:

Hey Josh.

Did you use anything other that than antique black? Was it the paste?

last time i used the black it came out more greenish hue, but I used the gel.

Dang that rig is nice. I just had to say it again.

Bodean,

I use the liquid acrylic, which is a little gel like, so probably the same you have. My process is to give the leather a good coat of neatsfoot oil and let it "soak" in at least overnight. I apply the antique heavily with a scrap piece of shearling working from one end to the other on the front side then flip it over and work the other way applying it o the backside. Once I'm back at my starting point I wipe off the excess with a damp paper towel that has been doubled over multiple times. As the towel gets filthy with the excess dye I'll turn it over, then inside out, etc. If it doesn't want to "wash" off very well I'll add more water and/or pressure until it does. It seems to me the longer it sits the darker the the "highs" will be. Which can be good or bad, depending on how dark you wanted it. This isn't universally true, some hides go darker and some go lighter, more brown or more gray regardless of how long you let it sit on before wiping it off. Once it's been wiped off as much as I like, or as much as I can get I'll let it dry. At least overnight and if possible 24 hours. Then I give it a good wipe down with liquid glycerin saddle soap applied with a piece of scrap shearling. This often bleeds off some of the dye and in my opinion adds depth and warmth. From there it gets a seal coat made with a 50/50 mixture of Mop & Glo and water. Once that's dry I'll give it another wipe down or two of the glycerin soap. I often spray the shearling then rub it on a bar of soap, then apply it to the leather. I don't want it wet, I want it "waxy". That's about it. Somewhere int he middle of saddle soaping and seal coating I'll put everything together. When I start with the neatsfoot oil it's all separate pieces and when I do the last soap wipe down it's an assembled rig. 

I have a jar of the paste as well. When I was a kid that's what my dad used. I think somewhere along the line they changed the formula because the paste stuff in the jar doesn't seem to stick as well. At least not for me. 

All the best, Josh

45 minutes ago, Josh Ashman said:

Bodean,

I use the liquid acrylic, which is a little gel like, so probably the same you have. My process is to give the leather a good coat of neatsfoot oil and let it "soak" in at least overnight. I apply the antique heavily with a scrap piece of shearling working from one end to the other on the front side then flip it over and work the other way applying it o the backside. Once I'm back at my starting point I wipe off the excess with a damp paper towel that has been doubled over multiple times. As the towel gets filthy with the excess dye I'll turn it over, then inside out, etc. If it doesn't want to "wash" off very well I'll add more water and/or pressure until it does. It seems to me the longer it sits the darker the the "highs" will be. Which can be good or bad, depending on how dark you wanted it. This isn't universally true, some hides go darker and some go lighter, more brown or more gray regardless of how long you let it sit on before wiping it off. Once it's been wiped off as much as I like, or as much as I can get I'll let it dry. At least overnight and if possible 24 hours. Then I give it a good wipe down with liquid glycerin saddle soap applied with a piece of scrap shearling. This often bleeds off some of the dye and in my opinion adds depth and warmth. From there it gets a seal coat made with a 50/50 mixture of Mop & Glo and water. Once that's dry I'll give it another wipe down or two of the glycerin soap. I often spray the shearling then rub it on a bar of soap, then apply it to the leather. I don't want it wet, I want it "waxy". That's about it. Somewhere int he middle of saddle soaping and seal coating I'll put everything together. When I start with the neatsfoot oil it's all separate pieces and when I do the last soap wipe down it's an assembled rig. 

I have a jar of the paste as well. When I was a kid that's what my dad used. I think somewhere along the line they changed the formula because the paste stuff in the jar doesn't seem to stick as well. At least not for me. 

All the best, Josh

Thanks for your insight.

I will have to give the antique black another shot doing what you suggest. I was using it straight on. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Wow nice rig!

Perfect! I'd be super proud if I could pull off something like that. It really is a work of art.

Beautiful work and thanks again for sharing your finishing process... I was looking at the loops and thinking something looks funny then I realised that as a CAS shooter I always think of reloads as 5 rounds.... never 6... so I am conditioned to think in groups of 5.

Someone is going to feel real proud on the range with that rig for sure.

How many hours did you put into it?

Edited by plinkercases

15 hours ago, Bodean said:

Thanks for your insight.

I will have to give the antique black another shot doing what you suggest. I was using it straight on. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

You're welcome Bodean!

15 hours ago, Bigfoote said:

Wow nice rig!

Thanks Bigfoote! 

13 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Perfect! I'd be super proud if I could pull off something like that. It really is a work of art.

Thanks Battlemunky!

10 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Beautiful work and thanks again for sharing your finishing process... I was looking at the loops and thinking something looks funny then I realised that as a CAS shooter I always think of reloads as 5 rounds.... never 6... so I am conditioned to think in groups of 5.

Someone is going to feel real proud on the range with that rig for sure.

How many hours did you put into it?

Thanks Plinker! I'm not exactly sure how much time I have into it. I generally put in a few hours each morning before my day job and sometimes a few hours in the evening or over the weekend. I worked on this for just over 2 weeks and my best guess is I have around 30 hours in it. If I did leather work full time I like to think that I'd get more done in one 8 or 10 hour day vs. 2 hours at a time over a 4 or 5 day period, but I might be kidding myself. Occasionally on a weekend were there is poor weather and I'm stuck in the house anyway I'll put in a full day at my bench and burnout is a real thing for me. After a while my eyes go fuzzy and my mind starts to wander, not an ideal thing when playing with sharp things :)!

Once again, I appreciate all the positive feedback folks! Have a great Friday and weekend!