biker55

thumb thimbles

Hello, I do all my stitching by hand. occasionally, the needle needs a little persuasion. is there such a thing as a thumb thimble out there? Thanks

Oddly the word thimble was originlly a thumb cover.

From Merriam Webster - Old English thȳmel covering for the thumb 15th Century

We always used to stitch a piece of leather into a tube, for the thumb and for each little finger (in the joint) so that when you pulled the thread through in double hand stitching it did not cut you, I still have one somewhere for the left pinkie, as it sometimes cuts open.

I know you can get large open ended metal thimbles from haberdashers. called quilters thimbles (I think)

Hope you find one

Harry

Edited by hwinbermuda

I first use a large metal thumb guard from a fabric store. Then found a leather craft palm guard which i use today. I have both a left, and a right hand one hanging on my tool rack with in easy reach. Most leather suppliers carry them. For finger protion when pull thread I used small gator front leg skins, until my friend that hunted them past away. Now days I use rhino skins manufactured by the owner of Rhino Knifes in San Monica, CA.

***Edit: He makes them for knife makers to wear while grinding, since I'm also a bladesmith I have several pairs of these in both shops.***

These work very well for me.

sewing guard.jpg

rhino fingers.jpg

Edited by TacticallySharp

Did someone say Thumble....

How about making one like Daisukenshin.

2EB06117-671F-42F2-82A6-2407E31BF996.jpeg

Thanks for all the suggestions, I guess I can make one. Webicons, that is one amusing, and smart suggestion.