petersenj20

Name that tool

Found this knife at the Jockey Lot today for 2 dollars. Guy said it was knife for cutting string in machines. Don't know. Had several so was clearly a manufacturing use tool. 

It says Wennerholm Atlanta,GA Made in Italy. Can't find anything bout it. Figure worst case I can make it into a mill knife. Would be easy enough on the grinder.

20180225_122200-1512x2016.jpg

Looks like a knife used for de hairing animals in the tanning process

Edited by Carson
Reasons

9 hours ago, petersenj20 said:

Found this knife at the Jockey Lot today for 2 dollars. Guy said it was knife for cutting string in machines. Don't know. Had several so was clearly a manufacturing use tool. 

It says Wennerholm Atlanta,GA Made in Italy. Can't find anything bout it. Figure worst case I can make it into a mill knife. Would be easy enough on the grinder.

20180225_122200-1512x2016.jpg

That could be a blade of some sort found in industrial or agricultural machines to cut string, which means it has been salvaged to make a cutting tool of some kind.

I can't see it being used to remove hair from skins - in the tanning process chemicals are used to de-root hair or else it would contaminate the skin.

The shape of the knife reminds me of a tourne knife, but the one sided serrated blade makes me lean towards the string cutting application.

My 2c!

It's been a while now since I have worked in one, but it seems like I used to see some workers carrying similar in the cotton mills. Maybe it was in the weave room. The south used to have tons of textile plants. Often referred to as cotton mills, amongst other names.  

It was funny to hear the jockey lot reference. Which one did you go to?

24 minutes ago, Bodean said:

It was funny to hear the jockey lot reference. Which one did you go to?

Anderson SC. Raised my kids right outside of Atlanta but we are slowly migrating to SC. I love buying old tools there, can still buy them at a good price without being treated as an antique decoration.

16 minutes ago, petersenj20 said:

Anderson SC. Raised my kids right outside of Atlanta but we are slowly migrating to SC. I love buying old tools there, can still buy them at a good price without being treated as an antique decoration.

I figured it had to be the one on Anderson when you referred to it as the Jockey Lot. That place has been there a looooong time. I have been there a thousand times I bet over the years. Used to be referred to as the South's largest flea market. 

As Bodean mentioned, it looks like some kind of safety knife used to cut string in a mill or packing hall

As there is no point there would be less chance of damage or injury to the product or the worker, and the hooked end meant that the cord would not slip off the end as it was being cut

Still say it’s for extracting boy scouts out of horses hooves.

7 hours ago, petersenj20 said:

It's dull so wouldn't cut much but I like the string theory. It's unique so may keep it like it is. Would put an edge back though.

'string theory', it's a time traveler.

I agree the point looks made to slide but the cutting edge is too long for precision cutting. you can still google that manufacturer.

I'm guessing a grapefruit knife!

15 hours ago, petersenj20 said:

It's dull so wouldn't cut much but I like the string theory. It's unique so may keep it like it is. Would put an edge back though.

Post a picture on this website and see what they have to say about the knife...

www.bladeforums.com

It seems the knife only has one side to cut...and that would then be for a left handed person

I bought one today at the Farmers Stock Yard  Auction and flea market (now just a Tuesday flea market) up in Lexington, NC for a dollar, Mine is the same, but lists Greensboro, GA. instead of Atlanta. I agree, Yet as one who has worked As a mechanic in a textile mill in the past before they all moved south of the border,  I have never seen one like this, And I would add that a 500 to 700 pound textile bale uses metal straps, or plastic strapping, and weavers tended to use a curved  cutting ring like knife where the curved blade sticks up above your finger, and out of the way, same as those used when tying tobacco when hanging. When I bought it,  I was guessing about it's purpose too.  Yet this thing includes some leverage applied against your straightened arm due to the longer handle and the extended tang inside of it.  And the tip prevents damage to what ever you are slipping it under and cutting. Mine too is dull and serrated, So back to the guessing game. BTW, Our "Buck Horn" Jocky Lot is over in Durham, NC. Also a weekend flea market.

It looks like a "Stripping" blade for grooming dogs. I suppose they could also be used on horses manes and tails.

Hoof knife.

Hoof Knife?  I don't think so.  Have been around horses for a bunch of years.  Have seen and used a variety of hoof knives including left handed hoof knives.  Never have seen that, but I ain't seen everything.

I hate to copy and paste but I searched for Winterholm Hoof Knife and got like 100 pictures of that tool. Whatever it is its wore out. The internet is rarely correct. 

2 hours ago, 327fed said:

I hate to copy and paste but I searched for Winterholm Hoof Knife and got like 100 pictures of that tool. Whatever it is its wore out. The internet is rarely correct. 

I did the same search and got nothing that looked like it.

That lying Siri - can’t ever trust her. 

I'll throw one in for youse; it reminds me of a gardener's / farmer's harvesting or slip knife.

My B-i-L was both a farmer and a gardener and he had a knife with a similar blade but his was a fold-in knife

As I said, I ain't seen everything.  Given the pictured tool's shape, I'd love to see it used as a hoof knife, seriously.  You ain't experienced excitement until you've done hoof work on  rank horse.

It's clearly a "cherry pitter"

6 hours ago, Samalan said:

It's clearly a "cherry pitter"

:rofl: yup!!