Pauls Leather

Second business name?

So I have my very small startup company that I mainly get business by referral.  It's not my full time job but it does occupy a good amount of my time.  Mainly I've dealt with making utilitarian type leather goods......cases for tablets, holsters, wallets, sheaths and some motorcycle bags.  With the help of my wife who I have dubbed as my creative director are now starting to delve into the fashion handbag community and the few things I have made I have had great response to it so we want to kind of take off with it. 

With that said my current company name doesn't quite roll off the tongue, to me, to attract the type of customer I want to market to.  So I have another name that I find quite attractive.  My question.....Do I just label my new designer style products with said name as a creation under my current company or do I need to legally create that entity?  I hope that makes sense. 

My gut tells me I just need to create that separate company entity for future purposes. 

On a side note only my finer designer style products would be labeled with new said name. 

Where are you.  In the UK, just start using the second company, and add that info onto your tax return.

Elsewhere in the world.... sadly I have no idea.   :-)

Call it Steve. Steve's a nice name.   Sorry, too many pixar movies - seen "over the hedge"?  :dunno:

I think you can call it whatever you like.  If it's YOURS, you certainly have a legal right to "assume" ownership of any products and designs "Paul" used before.  The only time I would think a "legal" name change would be called for is if you intend to seek any funding / investors , offering stock, etc.

Register a trademark name owned by your company.  I have also used 'xxxx' division of 'yyyy'.  You can register trade names and trade marks.

Regulations vary by state and country, but trade marks have similar requirements in most areas.  Note if registered in only one state, it is possible for someone in another state to use and register your trademark.  There is something about federal registrations, but I can't recall what it was, other than it covers all states.

Tom

You could register your new business name as a DBA with your state. Paul’s Leather doing business as (DBA) “Super Fine Handbag Boutique”.

DBA registration isn’t usually expensive and would allow you to use your new name as a business name instead of a just a product name.

Check with your state for their rules about registering and operating under DBA’s.

If your idea becomes successful then you can always formalize it with its own business structure, trademarks, etc..

Good Luck!

On 2/28/2018 at 7:27 AM, Stonegate said:

You could register your new business name as a DBA with your state. Paul’s Leather doing business as (DBA) “Super Fine Handbag Boutique”.

+1 to this. Gets you what you need but keeps it simple.