pentelaravi

WICKETT & CRAIG leather selection

Hi, I have been using Hermann Oak veg tan leather 9 to 10 Oz(Premium Belt bend from SLC) for belts and wanted to try WC leather this time. 

Which type of WC leather is equivalent/similar for Hermann oak natural veg tan leather(based on wc site, natural SKIRTING?)?.  They have ENGLISH BRIDLE DOUBLE BENDS for belts but i want to use my own dye and finish. 

Anyone please advise on this? Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Ravindra.

I haven't bought leather from W&C yet so I can't speak from experience, but I was complaining about H.O. quality recently. I had a PM conversation with another member on here about W/C and was told to buy their Tooling leather for belts and flat goods and to buy the skirting for holsters and sheaths. I will take that advice based on the examples of this members work that I have seen.

7 minutes ago, buzzardbait said:

I haven't bought leather from W&C yet so I can't speak from experience, but I was complaining about H.O. quality recently. I had a PM conversation with another member on here about W/C and was told to buy their Tooling leather for belts and flat goods and to buy the skirting for holsters and sheaths. I will take that advice based on the examples of this members work that I have seen.

Yep. 

Keep in mind W&C only lists a few heavy weights in some leathers but they will split for free.  It might add a week to the ship time.  I have them split a hide to a level 8 oz and it has been fantastic.  I use the tooling/holster/carving sides for my holsters.  Absolutely fantastic leather.  

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks,
Ravindra.

On 2/26/2018 at 3:08 PM, pentelaravi said:

Hi, I have been using Hermann Oak veg tan leather 9 to 10 Oz(Premium Belt bend from SLC) for belts and wanted to try WC leather this time. 

Which type of WC leather is equivalent/similar for Hermann oak natural veg tan leather(based on wc site, natural SKIRTING?)?.  They have ENGLISH BRIDLE DOUBLE BENDS for belts but i want to use my own dye and finish. 

Anyone please advise on this? Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Ravindra.

Give them a call, they are very helpful and there isn't a minimum you can get one side.  They definitely have tooling leather.

On 2/27/2018 at 0:52 AM, chiefjason said:

Keep in mind W&C only lists a few heavy weights in some leathers but they will split for free.  It might add a week to the ship time.  I have them split a hide to a level 8 oz and it has been fantastic.  I use the tooling/holster/carving sides for my holsters.  Absolutely fantastic leather.  

They'll split for free but also keep in mind that their very nicely done flesh sides get cut off in the process, but you can pay extra to have them sand and re-paste. In other words, you're not really getting the exact same product when you have them split it down unless you don't care about flesh sides.

I see W&C have some overstock "calf carving" sides on sale for $45 or $75, depending on the grade.  Weight of 5-8 or 6-7 oz.  Anybody worked with these?  Sounds like it is a pretty fair price.

Gary

On 3/26/2018 at 11:28 AM, Nuttish said:

They'll split for free but also keep in mind that their very nicely done flesh sides get cut off in the process, but you can pay extra to have them sand and re-paste. In other words, you're not really getting the exact same product when you have them split it down unless you don't care about flesh sides.

I was doing natural veg tan.  So I can barely tell the difference in a cut and a non cut hide.  Now if it was bridle or something that was dyed it would be a whole different issue.  

Wickett's natural skirting is very light colored.  I believe their "Oak" color is the most similar to HO when worked up, but I would verify this with the salesperson when you order.  To be clear, the two leathers (Wickett vs HO) are very different from each other.  Both companies produce some great leathers, they just possess different characteristics that make each well-suited for different needs or preferences.

I have been getting a few sides of H O split down from Panhandle Leather and have been very pleased with it.  Like Big Sioux says both HO and WC produce some good leather, just depends on what suits the end user.  HO from panhandle is quite a bit cheaper and the shipping rate is MUCH better.

15 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Wickett's natural skirting is very light colored.  I believe their "Oak" color is the most similar to HO when worked up, but I would verify this with the salesperson when you order.  To be clear, the two leathers (Wickett vs HO) are very different from each other.  Both companies produce some great leathers, they just possess different characteristics that make each well-suited for different needs or preferences.

Exactly - no point adding to that.  I will offer this pic, though, showing exactly that.  I took the pic with the HO on both "ends" of the pic, so you wouldn't think the color difference is due to lighting (it isn't). The W/C is TOOLING leather (not the skirting).  As you see- the W/C is much more pale color, but they both hold the tooling very well.

IMG_20180328_101237207.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 0:15 PM, JLSleather said:

Exactly - no point adding to that.  I will offer this pic, though, showing exactly that.  I took the pic with the HO on both "ends" of the pic, so you wouldn't think the color difference is due to lighting (it isn't). The W/C is TOOLING leather (not the skirting).  As you see- the W/C is much more pale color, but they both hold the tooling very well.

IMG_20180328_101237207.jpg

I was always under the assumption (possibly mistakenly) that Wickett's tooling leather is just their skirting split down to the customer's specifications.  So, then all colors of their skirting SHOULD be available in all weights of tooling, in which case, let's say you wanted W & C tooling in a 5/6 oz, to closely match or mimic HO's tooling color, then you could order the Oak selection of Wickett, split down to a 5/6. (?)   I think I just confused myself!  I rarely buy anything under skirting weight leather, so I may not know what I'm talking about, either. 

You're probably right, but I'm not actually sure just what it was you said :o

HO does same thing .. they have "tooling" and they have "holster" and it's not real clear just what is the difference.

But yes, the oak would likely be closer.  I actually buy the natural BECAUSE of its light color.

For what it's worth.....I buy ONLY W&C skirting sides, and have it split to what ever thickness I want.  Since this discussion is primarily about "natural", "oak" or whatever I won't bring up the vat dyed colors I use which happens to be 5 colors.  I buy Russet color and it oils, dyes, carves, and stamps just about like the HO I used years ago. It is very consistant in color and quality from one order to the next.  While I specialize in custom knife sheaths, I use the various weights for many other projects as well.  I tried some of the "tooling"leather in the past and if I recall it was a lighter shade which might be attributed to a slightly different protocol in the tanning process. I have splitter and can make use of most of the belly leather of which nearly all has good and useful top grain, so most of that goes for 2/3Oz. lining material, or an occasional wallet, etc. so buying full sides makes sense in my operation.

Paul

3 hours ago, JLSleather said:

You're probably right, but I'm not actually sure just what it was you said :o

HO does same thing .. they have "tooling" and they have "holster" and it's not real clear just what is the difference.

But yes, the oak would likely be closer.  I actually buy the natural BECAUSE of its light color.

:lol: Me neither.  I tend to give the "long answer".  It's genetic.  Actually I just meant that I THINK their tooling is split from the skirting, so in theory, we should be able to get tooling in any and every shade in which the skirting is available.  Only reason I think that, is a year or two ago I needed some 7/8, and the sales rep stated that they just split down the skirting.  That makes it nice when needing to match leather, for example, accessories to match someone's saddle.  There is actually a color difference between HO's skirting and their tooling.  And I have wondered also what exactly is the difference between their tooling, holster, and their "molding" leather that I've seen somewhere.  If a person was making holsters from the different types at the same time, I wonder how noticeable of a difference there would be?   That might be a thread by itself.

2 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

what exactly is the difference between their tooling, holster, and their "molding" leather

I've contemplated this as well.  Surely someone has put the three side by side like JLS has of the HO and W&C?  I keep wondering if the holster leather would make nicer tooled binders etc since my brain keeps thinking it must be firmer than tooling leather...but I've never had them side by side or heard someone describe the differences/ similarities side by side...and I don't want to buy 20 sides to find out...

YinTx

On 3/29/2018 at 9:41 PM, YinTx said:

I've contemplated this as well.  Surely someone has put the three side by side like JLS has of the HO and W&C?  I keep wondering if the holster leather would make nicer tooled binders etc since my brain keeps thinking it must be firmer than tooling leather...but I've never had them side by side or heard someone describe the differences/ similarities side by side...and I don't want to buy 20 sides to find out...

YinTx

In my experience calling HO is always helpful.  They have always transferred me to the person who could answer my question.

I know this is an old thread but here is what I have found so far with HO vs WC tooling leather. 
WC is beautiful leather with very few blemishes. The sides I have purchased are absolutely gorgeous! But I personally don’t like the way it carves. It feels to soft on the surface and I don’t like the way it takes a stain or stamp. 
The HO leather is less than perfect when it comes to blemishes/ fat wrinkles or scares. I have sent several sides back thinking they gave me the wrong grade of leather. But HO leather carvers like a dream and stains , stamps like nothing else. 
I hate having so much waist when I buy HO but it is great leather none the less.