3248tm

First leather project 1911 holster.

This is my first real leather project out side of repairing some horse tack or something on a saddle. I'm going to use some kind of top coat and then put on a mahogany antique stain and buff it off. I'm still looking to see what I need to do to accomplish this. From what I have learned a top coat finish needs to be applied to the inside as well. I'm planning on using a leather lace up the side of the holster. I'm still looking to see what I will need for that as well.  I'm also thinking that I might need to use   rivet at the top and maybe bottom of the side. I have a few item's on my border that I wish I could do over but to late now. Any advice would be great on some ideals to finish this project would be great.

Screenshot_20180221-125859.png

Hello TM, 

You're off to a good start. Looking at what you have there reminds me of a lot of my beginning projects! I highly recommend you find a copy of Al Stohlman's excellent book "how to make holsters", it's $13 on Amazon and probably available in every Tandy store if you have one of those near you. 

It has a section on how to lace up a holster. It also has some pointers on basket stamping and making borders. In addition it has some good (but dated) info on how to design holsters as well as many patterns that you can also use. Including a 1911 pattern that isn't terribly different that what you have there. 

I'm too slow at typing to try and pick out an answer that would be helpful to you and my advice probably isn't as good as it should be. Al's book will do a far better job than I could attempt. 

Again, good job on getting started! Also, good luck moving forward!

Josh

take a look at ^^^^^^^ Joshes work and don't let him fool you he does some outstanding work, the book he speaks about is a good investment, also but you might have already done it, google 1911 holsters and look hard at what others have done, your is off to great start, don't let to anyone here drag you down, some think that by being antagonistic that they are helping you out, you will discover those over time.  Good luck with all you do with the leather and continue to look and learn!!  

NOW, . . . if that is your first holster, . . . you are off to a fine start, . . . and you got some good advice up above this post.

If you take the flat end of a modeling tool, . . . a sponge that is just damp, . . . most of the time you can re-dampen areas you "messed up" in tooling, . . . not too damp, . . . you will have to practice to get that just right feeling, . . . then take the modeling tool and flatten that whole area, . . . for example down at the bottom of the holster.

Sometimes when it dries it will kind of spring back up a little by re-dampening it, . . . smoothing it all to the same height.  Even if it doesn't spring back up, . . . at least it will all be the same height.

Another pointer, . . . forget the rivets.  Generally speaking, when I see a rivet on a holster, my first inclination is that this is a new person to holster making.  There really is no reason to put a rivet there if the lacing or stitching is done properly, . . . unless you are using it for decorative purposes.  It will not enhance the strength or overall life of the holster.

AND, . . . welcome to the fun and exciting world of holster making.  Somebody said one time there is estimated to be some 300 million firearms in the USA.  That gives us 300 million opportunities to be different, exciting, creative, and make the economy grow by $5.50 a square foot, . . . plus dye, . . . plus finish, . . . plus postage.

Seriously, . . . glad to have you aboard.

May God bless,

Dwight