golferdw

Looking for leather tool roll for my stamps

Make it yourself?  :P

If you get seriously into this hobby, your collection of tools will very quickly outgrow whatever roll you buy. I've been at this about 2 1/2 years now, and already have around 70 stamps, plus assorted awls, punches, knives and bevelers!

If you look at the "Show Your Shop' thread you'll see most of us store our tools in a wooden rack of some sort with holes bored into it.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I have a pattern, came in a Tandy flier or Hidecrafter flyer years ago.  I will have to find it an scan it and post it.  Not sure when, as I'm in College again full-time.  I am up, as I cannot sleep.

I've made 5 of them so far, getting better each time.  LOL.

Vikefan

Edited by Vikefan

There was an easy to make pattern in the Leathercrafters Journal a few years go. I've made several to keep stamps in. Made a wood block too, but holes always seemed too small or too big for stamp shafts when tryin to keep similar stamps together. I'll look up issue and post later. --John

Here's that pattern.  I don't recommend using the velcro to keep the roll closed.  I use snaps or the ball/slot method (not sure what it's official name is called.

Please see attached files.

Leather Tool Roll part 1..pdf

Leather Tool Roll part 2..pdf

Leather Tool Roll part 3..pdf

I would never rely on glue alone for the pocket dividers.  Unless I missed it, it looks like there is no stitching.  Make sure to do some.

I've found that the best way to get a tool roll for anything is to make it in heavy linen/denim (for light tools) or heavy canvas (for large tools) before committing to leather as a way of coming up with your own pattern.  You can get remnants or sometimes scrap pieces at most fabric stores or just buy a half yard for a couple of dollars and with some experimenting get the ideal spacing for the tools you are making the roll for.  If you use a loose running stitch for your layout and then mark the stitch lines after they are where you like them with a washable marker the fabric can be reused, or with permanent marker it makes a permanent pattern.  then again a lot of people like the fabric rolls.  To finish off the edges you just have to either roll the edges or add a selvage tape.  Folded over leather scrap strips work great for this.  If you make a permanent fabric roll you will of course want to use a better stitch between compartments.  As for closing, I usually put a grommet at one end and tie a long enough lace to wrap around three or four times with a tag end about 4 inches long to tie it off with.  For lighter tools like punches and such overstitching at the end of the seams is adequate, but for heavy tools like wrenches and chisels I always add a rivet at the top of each stitch line to help reinforce the material.  It really helps prevent tear outs.  One added benefit of making a fabric pattern, while figuring out your pocket layout, you can use pins initially until you think you have a good fit, and then do a loose stitch to make sure.  If it doesn't fit quite right, you can change it the fit without wasting the material.  Just a little bit of thread.  And this will work for any type of tool set you can think of that will fit in a roll.