Killerwork

How to customize a holster

Ok, I am lost and beyond my experience! The only tooling I have done is on a leather valet I have made.

My delima would be my father in law has a veg tan holster for his glock. It is mass production, measures at about 9oz. Oiled finish. It is very plain with no tooling and he would love scroll work put on it. How would I go about this without ruining the original finish to much, or destroying the holster completely.

I did inform him it was possible due to very little experience! 

I'd reckon it would very difficult to add tooling to the holster now.

I think the best option is to do the work on a separate panel and attaching it by sewing it on

Hey @Killerwork,

That seems like quite the predicament, you might want to ask some of the other more experienced leather workers here, but in my experience, oiled veg tan doesn't tool very well-- you might be able to get away with a brand stamp, but a whole tooling might be out of the question. Like what @fredk said, a separate tooling 'patch' might be the easiest option, you can even add some contrast by having it a different color. I think it would be less of a hassle in the long run to just remake the holster with the proper tooling, rather than trying to experiment with an already formed, stitched, and finished holster.

I hope that helps!

Emmy father in law did say he is not concerned about messing it up but I do not want to do that, I may give a patch a shot!

The patch is a great way to do this. If you do not have the skills to tool it go to a used clothing store, and buy an old cowboy belt. Cut a piece that you like, and attach it to the holster. A lot simpler than tooling a patch.

Once a piece of veg tan is oiled and finished it will not take good tool impressions. 

Other than doing an applique panel why not offer to create a new holster, and you can practice your tooling?

A patch sounds good.  But you are not going to be able to stitch it on, even hand stitched.  There is not enough room in the holster to deal with it.  Best option is to build something he wants.  

40 minutes ago, chiefjason said:

A patch sounds good.  But you are not going to be able to stitch it on, even hand stitched.  There is not enough room in the holster to deal with it.  Best option is to build something he wants.  

What he said.lol

It can be sewn on; using a curved needle. I've sewn an applique piece onto a sgian-dubh scabbard. Pierce sewing holes on the applique panel, glue onto the scabbard [in my case] then use a curved sharp glovers needle to go in and up thru the next hole, continue all round, then back again to the starting point. Both the first stitch starts and last stitch ends between scabbard and panel.

Edited by fredk

1 hour ago, fredk said:

Other than doing an applique panel why not offer to create a new holster, and you can practice your tooling?

I think this is what I am going to do. I am still lacking in a lot of areas and really do aim to approve. I have fallen in love with tooling, would be nice if my phone would let me attach pictures, any ideas there? Keeps telling me to resize.

7 minutes ago, Killerwork said:

I think this is what I am going to do. I am still lacking in a lot of areas and really do aim to approve. I have fallen in love with tooling, would be nice if my phone would let me attach pictures, any ideas there? Keeps telling me to resize.

Email the pictures to yourself and this should reduce the size so you can post them here.

Gary

This is my first and only leather project so far, used 2 tandy stamps and a swivel knife I had found at a garage sale. I am extremely excited all ready about learning the craft!

Also I take criticism extremely well! 

0226181018_resized(1).jpg

2 minutes ago, Killerwork said:

This is my first and only leather project so far, used 2 tandy stamps and a swivel knife I had found at a garage sale. I am extremely excited all ready about learning the craft!

Also I take criticism extremely well! 

0226181018_resized(1).jpg

That's a pretty good start!

Any one have a good suggestion on circles? That part just seemed the hardest and most ugly to me!

1 hour ago, Killerwork said:

Any one have a good suggestion on circles? That part just seemed the hardest and most ugly to me!

Acrylic circle templates from an art supply store work well for me :)

Work slowly and carefully. Try out different ways of stamping on test pieces. Test your sewing and the dyes the same way. If things don't work out, don't be afraid of starting again; but keep that 'wronged' piece to remind you where you went wrong. I have a plastic box full of such pieces.

Depending on the attitude of the FiL;  he might one to show off what his SiL made him. Personal approval is worth a thousand hundred dollar adverts

His plain holster will be his 'everyday' holster, your fancy one will be his 'Saturday, going to the shootin range' one

16 hours ago, Killerwork said:

As an artist you either stay away from them or use a template.  Circles are either right or wrong.  There is no kind of right with a circle.  

Hiram, I thought you were dead :)

The square and compasses look real good!

My suggestion is to make a paper template and construct a new holster instead of modifying the old one.

It's fun and easy really but it is time consuming, especially the tooling.

I'm by far no expert at Leathercraft but please check out my work in the "Show off" section as I show holsters at various stages of construction.

Sam :)

I've only done about half a dozen tooled pieces, so I am by no means great at it, but every piece I do is an improvement. I think the compass looks pretty good. You could do that 10 times, and they will all look unique. That is the great thing about hand made items, they all have slight differences that give them character. I am going to be doing my first inverted carving on a holster for a guy soon. I am already excited about it and haven't even started it yet. I did a small test piece to show him what I was talking about without ruining the surprise of the finished holster for him. The more you do, the better you will be.