Hello. I am in the market for a 1 1/4" binder attachment for some canvas and leather work. 

Ebay seller ngosew has them for $35. 

Sailrite has them for $98. 

Wondering if anyone has any experience with these products. They look identical to me. Is the sailrite binder much better or is this an example of brand name pricing vs generic? Any info would be appreciated! 

Thank you! 

IMG_7857.PNG

IMG_7858.PNG

Watching with interest because my supplier charged me $75AUS for this type of binder attachment in 1inch, for my machine, which is a copy of a Consew 227r. I was going to get other sizes, but not at $75 a hit!

Edited by Rockoboy

No mater which one you buy - check with he seller if the binder can handle the thickness of tape you want to use.

I personally doubt they are different but have no experience with either one.

EDIT:

a well known brand at least on my side of the pond is SUISEI (made in Japan) - college sewing in the UK sells them

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/Suisei-Single-Fold-Binders

CS has a wide range of binders but you may find them in the US as well. Just another option. ;)

Edited by Constabulary

I believe SUISEI is the manufacturer sailrite is using for their binders. But not 100% just says made in Japan. I'm just curious what would cause a 65 dollar price hike on what appears to be two identical binders.  I'm leaning towards sailrite racking it up because it says sailrite on it. 

Thanks for your help! I'll check them out and see if the price is any better direct from manufacturer. 

I have the 1" sailrite binder. Works well on a flat bed machine with 1" pre-folded woven bias tape or similar material. It will NOT do a very thick assembly. It's nicely made though.

Curiously, Sailrite does not sell binder specific presser feet along with it. It works WAY better with a generic binder presser foot set.

ngosew sells made in China stuff. I bought from them, the quality is the same as from Alibaba or Aliexpress.

I figured it was made in China stuff. But I have been pleasantly surprised lately with some made in China stuff. Now I'm all sorts of confused on binders. I know I need 1 1/4" for binding inside edges of canvas bags. But now I need to find one for thicker assemblies. Ay yi yi...

I was also just planning on using a cotton twill tape for the binding. The double fold stuff is nice but at .50 a foot plus shipping it gets expensive quick. I can get 50 yards of cotton twill tape for $30. Anybody have any input on the cotton twill tape? Does it hold up?

Those suisei binders are definitely what sailrite is selling. They just have sailrite engraved into them. That costs $55 extra. Thanks for the tip!!

You can expect that most of the binder attachments (not custom made ones) and most of the sewing machine accessories on the free marked are made somewhere in Asia nowadays. Of course most seller do not mention that for obvious reasons. Nothing wrong with made in China generally - thats globalization and we all wanted it (don´t we?) - but I agree some prices for certain items are way over the top (I know import duties, taxes and employees are factor). Put a brand stamp on them and you can ask a higher price.

I´m personally using a few very cheap binders - actually the cheapest I could find back then. Seems someone in still was able to earn money with them. I have modified the brackets to fit my machine. I do not recall where I bought them but it was on Ebay and they are this type:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Einfasser-Einfassapparat-A10-breite-Schragband-und-Fertigbreite-zum-auswahl/252406181551?hash=item3ac494aeaf:m:mnl7YE4OjJcixHzfjVzD-Bw

But you can find them in the US as well. I´m using ~1mm cotton tape as single fold with the above right angle binder

NGOSEW offers binder with wide mouth - I guess the can handle thicker tape but better check with them if your tape will work with their binders.

I operate and manage a knitting mill as my 'day job', we use a lot of binders for various seaming operations on knitted apparel. From my experience, there is no field where the old saying 'you get what you pay for' is more true than binders. The amount of time I've spent desperately trying to file, bend and braze bad binders is something I would like not to Think off.

We only buy suisei (japan) or rimoldi (italy) these days. Make sure you buy the right 'gauge' for what you're gonna sew. Otherwise the tape will cause a drag, and you will get a really bad finish. On Machines for knits there is almost Always a differential that you can adjust to somewhat counter the drag from the tape, but it can't rectify even modest faults caused by bad binders.

We buy some from college sewing machine parts as mentioned above. They're a real gem for sure. We also deal a bit with local machine dealers, not really good prices, but we get binders that do exactly what we want them to do, and they can be used 12+ hours a day without moving around, causing drags, or even worse, production stops. We also want to have local machine businesses around, so by buying locally we're voting with our wallets. Long time ago when I started out I bought a few cheap binders without really knowing what I was gonna use them for, they're all scrapped now. No use. If you're sewing as a hobby, by all means, go ahead and buy a few cheap ones to figure out your needs, but if you're serious and wanna do it as a business, I can't see any other way than forking out for professional Tools.

We have made a few ourselves, but to be honest, it's cheaper to have them custom made than to make them ourselves, at least for us.

(My browser keeps capitalising random Words, sorry for that)