Last time I was in Tandy the manager mentioned business membership.

This is not the elite membership, but rather real wholesale pricing for leather businesses. Supposedly, all you need is your tax ID number to qualify. There is no annual membership dues. 

Now this isn't something that they have been doing all along. One of the employees said it had been going on for about 6 months. 

They let me have a peek at the pricing and I must say, the discounts were substantial.

So, give your favorite Tandy a ring and check into it. I don't have a business, but I certainly wanted to pass this along.

Thanks

They've been doing that for years.  Your store should have been doing it also.

I was told about this pricing a few months ago at the Atlanta Tandy, and the price difference for the side of leather I bought was Elite $156, Business $152. Not substantial at all but I guess $4 savings is better than nothing. 

Karina

I can't remember anything really specific, but it seems like they had a really great price on the 1000 count snaps. Of course, it was business "on sale" pricing.

32 minutes ago, veedub3 said:

I was told about this pricing a few months ago at the Atlanta Tandy, and the price difference for the side of leather I bought was Elite $156, Business $152. Not substantial at all but I guess $4 savings is better than nothing. 

Karina

But how much did that elite membership cost?

Yep they have done this for years.   I think you get the elite pricing but you dont have to pay for the member ship.  Obviously you have to have the tax id etc. 

Ross

Well, maybe that 6 months comment was to make me feel like I haven't been totally bent over for the last 3 years.

Lol

52 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

I can't remember anything really specific, but it seems like they had a really great price on the 1000 count snaps. Of course, it was business "on sale" pricing.

The elite membership is free if you are military, public safety/first responder or military veteran...

22 minutes ago, Wyowind said:

The elite membership is free if you are military, public safety/first responder or military veteran...

Ahh this is true.

7 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I have been an Elite Member since I started with Tandy. I never paid an annual fee because I am a business and I gave them my TAX ID Information - that made it free for me - or anyone else that wants to give them there tax id information that is not Military/Veteran/Emergency Responder.. The new booklet I was given  I was told it was the new Business pricing that would save a few cents more, and like I said in my previous post, the cost of the item I purchased was $4 less than the Elite pricing. Whether or not this had been around for years, I don't know. I too was told this was new pricing. I asked the Manager how do I go from Elite to this new business pricing and I was told that I was automatically moved to that pricing structure. I wish I could put my hands on the booklet they gave me with the prices. 

Karina

Edited by veedub3

Thanks for enlightening me, everyone. I thought this was some great new thing.

I was able to put my hand on the booklet. Found it in the bin where I keep all my business receipts.  I have been an Elite Member since the day I started shopping at Tandy about 7 years ago. Never paid a membership because all I had to do was fill out some paperwork and fax them a copy of my Business License and Elite Memberships is free.

Now, just so everyone understand I am going to use the item I purchased as an example. I only buy 6/7 oz European Single Bend from Tandy. If you look at the website you can see the price as follows:

Elite: $156

Gold: $165.80

Non-Member: $194.99

Now, In the Business Pricing Booklet, the cost for 6/7oz European Single Bend is $152.10, which is what I paid the last time I was at Tandy, and the European Bend was not on sale. The date on the Booklet says effective October 1, 2017.

Again is this new pricing, I don't know but I was told it was. 

Karina

resized (580 x 774).jpg

I have just spoken to Tandy in the UK and there is Business Pricing available if you complete a form and it passes muster.. They are emailing me a form.

Harry

I've had wholesale business pricing with Tandy for at least 20 years. Someone is blowing smoke if they're telling you its only been available for 6 months. My local Tandy gives substantial discounts beyond what is listed in their wholesale price list for bulk purchases. problem is they really don't have much worth buying anymore IMO. The few leathers that are quality are so overpriced that I can usually get them at either Hide House, Weaver, or ALD at their regular wholesale cost for less and I don't have to buy 500sqft at a time. That being said, they did do $225 for 1000 line 24 snaps for me the other day which was better than I could find anywhere else.

1 hour ago, Mark842 said:

I've had wholesale business pricing with Tandy for at least 20 years. Someone is blowing smoke if they're telling you its only been available for 6 months. My local Tandy gives substantial discounts beyond what is listed in their wholesale price list for bulk purchases. problem is they really don't have much worth buying anymore IMO. The few leathers that are quality are so overpriced that I can usually get them at either Hide House, Weaver, or ALD at their regular wholesale cost for less and I don't have to buy 500sqft at a time. That being said, they did do $225 for 1000 line 24 snaps for me the other day which was better than I could find anywhere else.

I believe the 6 month remark was a sales pitch thing.

I haven't found any leather there that I needed that was worth what they wanted. Sometimes they have a decent leather for a somewhat decent price, but it is never anything I'm in great need of. 

Example, last month the had nice upolstrey whole hides for 99.00. I thought they were really nice, but I didn't have a need for them.

I've had the business pricing almost since I started with Tandy, because of my kennel business. The kennel is no longer in existence, but they never bother asking me to reconfirm my tax ID information!

Maybe one day, if things go well, I'll get another business license for my leather working...

On 3/1/2018 at 7:36 AM, bikermutt07 said:

Example, last month the had nice upolstrey whole hides for 99.00. I thought they were really nice, but I didn't have a need for them.

I was just looking at this the other night. Seemed like a good deal for 48 sq ft. Originally $249.
.com/en/product/assorted-color-whole-hides

Unless I reupholster my bus, I don't need 48 sq ft of random hide, either.

1 hour ago, luxuryluke said:

I was just looking at this the other night. Seemed like a good deal for 48 sq ft. Originally $249.
.com/en/product/assorted-color-whole-hides

Unless I reupholster my bus, I don't need 48 sq ft of random hide, either.

I thought about a giant poncho. 

About 2 years ago I bought a 68 square foot 1.5-2.0 oz. whole upholstery hide in a great medium brown, from the local Tandy on sale for $79.00. It was massive but beautiful, only flaws were on one edge. I continue to use it to line bags and courier satchels and make interior pockets. It gives a real finished look and allows me to sell nicely lined products for about a 25% more than unlined bags. I figure the hide has more than paid for itself a few times. I just bought another couple of whole hides on the $99.00 sale. This time one was only 56 and the other 52 square feet but just as good a quality as the first one, only one slightly darker and the other lighter in shade. I was able to hand pick the hides and went over 40 or so to get the best available. I am leery of not being able to inspect the leather before I shell out $$$$. I love em!

jr

On 3/2/2018 at 6:02 PM, JREESER1 said:

… I am leery of not being able to inspect the leather before I shell out $$$$. …

Totally agree. Although when it comes to b runs of things like Horween or W&C, I don't mind the risk as bad. cc @Maverick Leather Company

On 3/2/2018 at 1:58 PM, bikermutt07 said:

…a giant poncho. 

Oooooh!

On 3/1/2018 at 5:36 AM, Mark842 said:

Try sav mor Leather in Los Angeles. Line 24 snaps 100 for $18. They don’t have a website but if you call they will ship or if your local you can pick up. 

2 hours ago, treyman said:

Try sav mor Leather in Los Angeles. Line 24 snaps 100 for $18. They don’t have a website but if you call they will ship or if your local you can pick up. 

Actually they do have a website, www.savmorleatherca.com 

Karina

2 hours ago, treyman said:

Thank you! They do have some excellent prices it appears.

7 hours ago, veedub3 said:

Actually they do have a website, www.savmorleatherca.com 

Karina

The site is pretty new, didn’t  even realize the finally got it up. 

On 01/03/2018 at 0:21 PM, hwinbermuda said:

I have just spoken to Tandy in the UK and there is Business Pricing available if you complete a form and it passes muster.. They are emailing me a form.

Harry

It's legit, I have it. I only use it for stuff I can't get elsewhere, which is a pretty short list now that they discontinued Will Ghormley's patterns.