cajunpen

Sewing with a Single Needle

Probably a silly question, but I don't know the answer.  I have sewn a couple of projects using the two needle method (saddle stitching?).  I think that sewing with a single needle would be easier for me.  For the saddle stitch method I use a diamond shaped pricking iron  -  what kind of holes should be made for stitching with a single needle?  Is their a pricking type iron available for the holes?  Any help will be appreciated.

Edited by cajunpen

On soft and/or thinish leather I use a Glovers needle. I sew at approx 3mm intervals; about 8spi. I sew one way round the project then double back, going through the same holes.  If I remember I swop the Glovers needle for a Saddlers needle so I don't make fresh holes or cut the first thread, but most often I don't bother, I just be careful. When sewing this way I don't use a pricker at all.

If you're looking for the type of pricking iron that gmace99 is using, it is often sold as a "reverse" pricking iron but more properly known as a "portmanteau" iron.  To the best of my knowledge nobody makes a diamond stitching chisel in reverse/portmanteau.

And thanks gmace99 for this and your other videos!  I had forgotten your "knot trick".  Really handy to know!

- Bill

3 hours ago, billybopp said:

To the best of my knowledge nobody makes a diamond stitching chisel in reverse/portmanteau.

FYI - these were just released by CrimsonHide (in my opinion the best diamond chisel available):

https://crimsonhides.com/collections/leathercraft-tools/products/crimson-irons-reverse

All my tools are Dixon’s I think abbey saddlery bought the name and are making them