JMixx

First Actual Project: Cuff

Hello all!  This is the first thing I've made that is an actual project, and not just trying out stitches, or goofing around with stamps, using scraps.  I would welcome suggestions; please bear in mind that this was made with a Tandy stitching awl, a scratch awl (for some of the thin lining leather), and no stitching clam, pony, or horse.  I am "making do" until I can get a better awl and (probably) a pony.  Can anyone tell me the functional differences between a clam, pony, and horse? (Other than the obvious differences in construction)  Which is the most "user-friendly" for a beginner?  What are the pros/cons of each?  I'm guessing that any of them would be an improvement on my "two-rigid-cutting-boards-and-two-C-clamps" arrangement that I used for this cuff.

leather cuff 1.jpg

leather cuff 2.jpg

leather cuff 3.jpg

That is a pretty elaborate first project. Tackling binding on your first go is pretty ballsy.

Of course you know your stitching will improve with time. All the rest of it looks evenly spaced and consistent.

Great job.

Capacity is really the only pro or con between the three horses. The clam and pony are obviously more portable than the horse. 

Regarding capacity, you need to decide what the dimensions of your projects are likely to be. You don't want something that doesn't have the span or depth to get your work into. My clam has a bolt running through from side to side that limits the size of my projects. There are many designs that use different methods to create tension on the project. Google stitching clams, ponies, horses etc. for a lot pics of the different styles available. 

Great first project!

1 hour ago, alpha2 said:

Regarding capacity, you need to decide what the dimensions of your projects are likely to be. You don't want something that doesn't have the span or depth to get your work into. My clam has a bolt running through from side to side that limits the size of my projects. There are many designs that use different methods to create tension on the project. Google stitching clams, ponies, horses etc. for a lot pics of the different styles available. 

Great first project!

You can always take the bolt out and use a bar clamp on bigger stuff. I have also clamped stuff to the outside of my pony. Purses and such. Used a ruler with binder clips to make stuff not flop over when stitching. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that. Lol

For the big stuff, I lay it flat on the table and hang the edge off the front. Then lay a smaller quartz slab on it to keep it still. Stitching sideways is pretty fun.

35 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

You can always take the bolt out and use a bar clamp on bigger stuff. I have also clamped stuff to the outside of my pony. Purses and such. Used a ruler with binder clips to make stuff not flop over when stitching. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that. Lol

I have done the ruler and binder clips, too!  That floppy work is annoying, for sure. I've also done the "hang it over the edge" bit. Whatever it takes.

I believe a stitching horse is a bigger unit, possibly with a built-in seat, whereas a pony is a smaller clamping/holding device.

The pony is more suitable for a tabletop or held between your legs.

A clam is a simple clamping deveice that might or might not have any sort of fixing to hold it (like the horse or pony).

Of course, there is a huge possibility I am totally wrong in everything.

I'm inclined to agree with Rockoboy, but I have to insist on the same disclaimer. Because, well, experience. 

Basically the are the 3 styles of holding devises. Variation are innumerable. Clam on top, pony on left, horse on right. These also are terms that sometimes are interchangeable like pricking iron and chisel. In my experience anyways.

IMG_20180304_173435-625x625.jpg

Matt is correct. AGAIN! Seriously, Matt?

He agrees with me! How did that happen?? :P

Also there is what Al Stohlman calls the "quarter horse" with no back legs that you use on "your favorite chair". Lol

12 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

Also there is what Al Stohlman calls the "quarter horse" with no back legs that you use on "your favorite chair". Lol

Funny, I thought a "quarter horse" would refer to a horse with extra-wide and stocky hindquarters... :lol: Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

But seriously, thank you all for both the information and the feedback.  Nobody said, "Well that's *#@&," so I felt confident enough to give it to the intended recipient.  Who appeared to appreciate the gift (or maybe was just being gracious).  Either way, your comments were very helpful and encouraging.  Onward!

Jennifer

Not that this is exciting to anybody else, but this is a photo of me giving that first project to its intended recipient...:lol:

MeNAlice3 compressed.jpg

Well, that is pretty exciting.

Funniest line in the whole movie, "Dark Shadows"..."that's the ugliest woman I've ever seen".  Big fan. Not as big a fan as Mrs. Alpha2, but pretty big.

3 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Funniest line in the whole movie, "Dark Shadows"..."that's the ugliest woman I've ever seen". 

I haven't seen that one...I am woefully underexposed to movies that came out after 1999.  I saw the last half of  "Monster Dog" on TV, though. Ack.

My sister, who I took to the concert, started me listening to his music when I was about 7 years old.  My only "complaint" about the concert is that he only performs "Billion Dollar Babies" once.  I always have to listen to it twice.  "I'm so scared your little head will come off in my hands..."

MeNAlice5b compressed.jpg