Pirate305

Pricking irons comparison for Newbies

Well since I started working with leather I have tried a bunch of different tools and dyes. So I thought I would share a collection of the different pricking irons and their patterns. These are all the same size except the French which is smaller. IMG_0054.thumb.jpg.be2ed423f5a2ab750627b8f3f649ae13.jpg

At last, a stitchmarked on leather comparison thank you.

Harry

Confusion reigns - they look like stitching chisels to me

1 hour ago, zuludog said:

I gave up trying to tell them apart until I saw the marks.  I only use pricking irons, and two of the patterns match mine.

Two don't.

I never saw the term stitching chisel til I looked outside of the U.K.

Mine are all from Abbey. But I had been wondering about others. Most comparisons are verbal as opposed to pictoral. So I can't tell from websites what the stitch is likely to be like.

Best

H

Nigel at armitage leather has done an entire series on stitching chisels and pricking irons on YouTube.

He also has a PDF chart available with the findings of about 12-15 sets.

2 hours ago, zuludog said:

The stitching chisels all come to a point, where the pricking irons have a flat blade at the end.

Pricking irons = simply marks the leather surface for the awl.

Stitching chisels = hammers thru the leather to negate the need for an awl.

I hope someday to be able to order the crimson hide sets. Their points are shaped like individual awls. If I knew then what I know now, I would have started with those.

Zoom in a little closer on the picture.

You will see the flat blades on the far left. Pricking iron.

The two in the center have points, but the legs of the times are the same dimension all the way up. Stitching chisels.

On the right you have the crimson hide. Each blade tapers as it goes down the leg to the point. This is a new style that crosses over from a stitching chisels to an actual row of awl blades. So, the point will Pierce the leather and then the legs will spread the hole open. This allows the hole to swell shut around the thread. Genius.

@Bikermutt

"Nigel at armitage leather has done an entire series on stitching chisels and pricking irons on YouTube"

I think he has done a comprehensive pdf summarising the videos.

H

5 hours ago, hwinbermuda said:

@Bikermutt

"Nigel at armitage leather has done an entire series on stitching chisels and pricking irons on YouTube"

I think he has done a comprehensive pdf summarising the videos.

H

Yes? I mentioned the PDF as well.

thanks for the pic, the only thing better would be a ruler in the shot!

im currently using the cheap black Tandy irons, but CANT WAIT to get my hands on a set of Crimsons. 

19 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Yes? I mentioned the PDF as well.

Sorry Sir,

Missed that, my bad.:blink:

Best

Harry

26 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

Sorry Sir,

Missed that, my bad.:blink:

Best

Harry

No worries. ;)

On 3/4/2018 at 2:36 AM, Pirate305 said:

So I thought I would share a collection of the different pricking irons and their patterns.

I like this.  Most times you see comparisons or reviews, but no one seems to put the marks all side by side like that. Would be neat to see them side by side, stitched and unstitched also!

YinTx

On 3/4/2018 at 0:42 AM, hwinbermuda said:

At last, a stitchmarked on leather comparison thank you.

Harry

I'll do some of the larger ones I have if that will help.. also the leather is 6oz 

On 3/4/2018 at 3:20 AM, hwinbermuda said:

I gave up trying to tell them apart until I saw the marks.  I only use pricking irons, and two of the patterns match mine.

Two don't.

I never saw the term stitching chisel til I looked outside of the U.K.

Mine are all from Abbey. But I had been wondering about others. Most comparisons are verbal as opposed to pictoral. So I can't tell from websites what the stitch is likely to be like.

Best

H

On 3/4/2018 at 4:44 AM, bikermutt07 said:

Nigel at armitage leather has done an entire series on stitching chisels and pricking irons on YouTube.

He also has a PDF chart available with the findings of about 12-15 sets.

The stitching chisels all come to a point, where the pricking irons have a flat blade at the end.

Pricking irons = simply marks the leather surface for the awl.

Stitching chisels = hammers thru the leather to negate the need for an awl.

I hope someday to be able to order the crimson hide sets. Their points are shaped like individual awls. If I knew then what I know now, I would have started with those.

I'm really liking the Crimson irons, the holes are not so huge as the Seiwa. 

On 3/4/2018 at 11:02 AM, nolangherity said:

thanks for the pic, the only thing better would be a ruler in the shot!

im currently using the cheap black Tandy irons, but CANT WAIT to get my hands on a set of Crimsons. 

I'll take a few more shots and make sure to include a ruler.. lol 

I think the other reason you don't see many picture comparisons is that no one is dumb enough to buy a set of every type of iron, except me.. LOL 

nice Youtube video of the different type of punches.. 

10 hours ago, Pirate305 said:

I think the other reason you don't see many picture comparisons is that no one is dumb enough to buy a set of every type of iron, except me.. LOL 

If you're dumb, so am I, but I find them all useful in different situations, so ... Maybe not!

- Bill

6 hours ago, billybopp said:

If you're dumb, so am I, but I find them all useful in different situations, so ... Maybe not!

- Bill

Me too, dumby over this way....:bike:

46 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

7 hours ago, billybopp said:

- Bill

I... don't know what you are talking about... 

YinTx

18 hours ago, Pirate305 said:

I'll do some of the larger ones I have if that will help.. also the leather is 6oz 

Thank you Pirate

Harry

Okay, so maybe I'm not so dumb.. LOL 

Here are some larger irons and just in case someone out there is confused I threw in some lacing irons. When I get a minute I'm going to thread these pieces all with the same size thread to show the difference in hole size to thread. 

comp1.jpg.af38a7623559f17fd2efe8c414deae2c.jpglace1.jpg.a4b002cf78bca3ada90ded63f83d6dd8.jpg

On 3/12/2018 at 11:27 AM, bikermutt07 said:

:rockon:

On 3/12/2018 at 0:15 PM, YinTx said:

I... don't know what you are talking about... 

YinTx

Nice comparison. Thx.

Does anybody know exact spi of seiwa 3mm stiching iron ? Some say 9, some 8.5 and some 8. Do you mind counting stiches per one inch and posting results here? I have 4mm Seiwa stiching iron and I can confirm it has 6.5 ( six and a half ) stiches per inch. I am thinking of getting 3mm for finer work.

On 3/19/2018 at 10:05 AM, Bodra said:

Does anybody know exact spi of seiwa 3mm stiching iron ? Some say 9, some 8.5 and some 8. Do you mind counting stiches per one inch and posting results here? I have 4mm Seiwa stiching iron and I can confirm it has 6.5 ( six and a half ) stiches per inch. I am thinking of getting 3mm for finer work.

I'm going to post some new shots with a ruler. 

Here are some shots comparing Crimson 3.85, Seiwa #4 and cheap ebay 4mmIMG_7264.jpg.1049131386aceee27bb081738d9ae958.jpgIMG_7265.jpg.0a76124e8e8b113f20ff4d4420c71a6e.jpgIMG_7266.jpg.3f1f0d5668da42c63a0e054047e31d56.jpg