does anyone on here make work boots, thinking of trying to make my own ( tired of dealing with where my boots are made, ) everytime I think I have found 100% american made boots they either cost a fortune or they aren't the style I want, or they are made in some other country but claim to be made here. Could you give me advice on where to find all the special tools and stuff to make these                                                                                                                                                                                                     thanks

I don't have the answers. There are only a small handful of people here that mess with footwear. And, even less that deal with lasted boots. 

If time and money weren't so tight the best option I think would be to take Lisa Sorrell's boot making course. You wind up with a pair of lasts that fit you, and a pair of boots that you make.

But, even then, those are cowboy boots. I don't know if she would do a class on work boots.

does this person have a video so I could follow along, can't travel to do classes

She has a DVD set. It retails for $800.00, I believe. And she is an advertiser here. She is very well known and sought after. I think her base cowboy boots start @ $5,000.00.

As Bikermutt said, Lisa Sorrell is a site sponsor and well known cowboy boot maker.  She has a youtube channel which is really interesting to check out.   It is more about cowboy boots, but may give you some of idea on what goes into making a boot.  The videos aren't ALL about bootmaking, but generally entertaining in any case.

She also has an online store,  Sorrellnotionsandfindings.com where you can find lasts, tools, the DVD course mentioned(now $850), some leather, and lots of other helpful items.

You might also check out Tim Schroeder's gallery on here, he's made some pretty awesome looking cowboy boots and work boots.  He also has a few threads about boots like this one.

This thread has some info on a work boot video series kickstarter.  

Hope that helps

- Bill

@billybopp, it was Tim who's name I couldn't remember. Thanks. His stuff is great.

the video should be out in July I wanna give it a try 

http://laughingcrowe.com/

Any country that doesnt employ near slave labor is going to mean expensive boots. The number of man hours involved in making boots of any quality is at least 5 with really specialized equipment that costs more than a house, or 10-20 man hours with normal standard industrial leather working equipment. If you were to pay someone minimum wage there is between $50 and 200 in labor just for them and that doesnt count insurance or social security. IF the person has any skill what so ever they need to be paid $25-30 per hour to keep them at your shop and if they are working for themselves they really need to be charging $40 to $60. If you can get American made boots for less than $200 you are stealing them if they are custom and less than $300 they are working for the exposure alone. OR you can buy shoes made by slaves or shoes made with inferior components. Shoes that cost less than $100 means someone didnt eat or you are getting plastic that has been glued together. I will get off my soap box now.

my bootmaking is part of a 50 year adventure in sewing, fabric and leather fabrication.

as I age my best attributes are my eyes, hands, and experience.  standing all day is hard.

youtube and facebook will be your University

start by watching videos till you learn the learn the basics.  then scour junk shops

for footwear that fit your size and style,  pay special attention to "how to measure".

while junking look for tools, tools, tools.

now take your favorite boot apart to learn construction, then start looking

for a last.

you can probably do the whole deal to get started for less than $200. I just

made a pair of penny loafers with a $8 leather package including

veg. and chrome from Hobby lobby on sale.

thanks, thats why I thought I would try my hand at it just for myself not making them for anyone else, so I have all kinds of time, I can't find what I'm looking for so I will make my own .

3 hours ago, ljk said:

my bootmaking is part of a 50 year adventure in sewing, fabric and leather fabrication.

as I age my best attributes are my eyes, hands, and experience.  standing all day is hard.

youtube and facebook will be your University

start by watching videos till you learn the learn the basics.  then scour junk shops

for footwear that fit your size and style,  pay special attention to "how to measure".

while junking look for tools, tools, tools.

now take your favorite boot apart to learn construction, then start looking

for a last.

you can probably do the whole deal to get started for less than $200. I just

made a pair of penny loafers with a $8 leather package including

veg. and chrome from Hobby lobby on sale.

you're are into sewing machines, I make tool pouchs for some of the guys at work when asked, I put them together with copper rivets because I don't have a sewing machine, I am looking for an old used machine that will go through 3/8 thick leather ( 2 pieces of 3/16 sewn together around the edges and maybe up the middle to divide it into different pockets for tools ) I would like it to have some kind of flat ( table ? ) around it maybe foot pedal operated ? and american made if possible , do you have any idea where I could find something like this ?

I know you specified US made, but William Lennon has been making great quality boots in the UK for over a century. I have two pairs of them and they are like tanks, and the company is happy to make alterations and customisations. I don't consider their prices exorbitant -- a pair of steel-caps starts at £60/$83, though of course you will have to add shipping to that. That's for directly moulded soles, if you want welted (replaceable) it goes up a little. Even their most expensive standard line is under £200/$277.

As to sewing machines, that question is a bit like asking "which impact driver" -- there's a lot of options out there but not many are truly made in the USA any more. Used machines, unless from a reputable dealer, can be a bit of a crapshoot -- wear, work capacity, availability of consumables, accessories and spares... these all vary hugely from machine to machine and need some real homework.

The most popular machines for small manufacturers and serious hobbyists on this forum are Chinese manufactured clones of Juki or Consew designs, setup and specified for leatherwork by US technicians. You can get a modern version of the excellent Singer 45 for $1000 ($1300 if you want reverse) complete with table, servo motor and speed controller. The 45k was/is a classic, a very rugged and simple machine that could handle some very heavy duty threads. They were made in their millions in Kilbowie, Scotland until someone twigged that it was cheaper to have them made in the Far East, where things like workers' rights and standards of living are far less fashionable.

You may have more responses to your sewing machine question if you cross-post it to the sewing machine section. There are some truly excellent machine technicians, operators and dealers who post there and are very free with their knowledge. There is a fantastic pinned topic by @Wizcrafts which gives you a primer on sewing machines for leather: 

Edited by Matt S

I found this website from Tim Skyrme

http://www.shoemakingbook.com/index.htm

This looks like it could be the most put together book. 

I don't know if it covers making a last or not?

Finding lasts in small quantities may prove to be the hardest part.

lI have no financial interest in this thread just trying to help.  my go to machine in Fl. is a  $2.00   auction

bought 111w155

my thread is a $6.00 spool of bag sewing thread.

you should learn to handstitch by doing those tool pouches,   with a awl and some John Roberts needles your

good to go.  use two different colors of thread to prove it's done by hand.  machines keep the top

thread and bobbin thread on the bottom.

I sew my uppers by machine (LIGHT LEATHER CAN BE DONE WITH OLD BLACK SINGER AND

TEFLON OR ROLLER FOOT). my soles are done by hand in front of the computer (netflix) at night.

I sew my insole to midsole and my midsole to outsole.  all leather!!!!!!!!

if you want a 3/8" plus leather sewing machine follow the advice of the forum members.

the leather for the boots was home tanned veg elk I did myself.

keep in touch                                                 tx Lynn

walltes.jpg

Packer Boots resized.gif

1 Wingtip shoes resized.gif