samNZJP

How to glue plastic and leather together?

Hello,

So recently I made a train pass/ID case which is attached below. This was a bit of a failed product as in the end I didn’t realize that usual glues for leather don’t stick well to plastics. The opening at the bottom of the plastic section, which I could stitch but I’d rather not to, has come loose. I tried super glue as well but that also came loose. So I was wondering, maybe Epoxy would be good or is there some unknown product I don’t know about or should I just stitch this really inconvenient place to stitch?

sam

81B4ABA1-D69A-42FA-BAD4-C5067E81AFC4.png

Edited by samNZJP

Did you scuff up the smooth surface of the plastic first? Various glues and cements need a "tooth" to hold onto.  I have been able to use water-based contact cement successfully with several different plastics.  There are some plastics apparently that do not play well.

Always good to test "new to you" processes on some scrap first to prove the concept.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I’ll try scratching it to make teeth and see if it’ll work on some scrap leather 

You want a glue that has a decent bond and is flexible. super glue is way to hard and brittle. If you use epoxy then you want one with a low psi rating. If in doubt try barge.