Dwight

Need Re-Soling advice Rocky Mt. Boots

A friend has a pair of Rocky boots that are in wonderful shape except that the soles are junk, . . . falling apart like the white hard insulation that just breaks off in little white balls.  Only thing is this is black rubber, . . . and they are wasted.

He wants me to clean off the old rubber soles, . . . and put new ones on, . . . 

Somebody out there give me a real good shot at how to clean the bottom of the boots, . . . the insole, . . . what do I use to get it where the contact cement will work????

And should I use weldwood or Barges, . . . is there an appreciable difference for shoes???

Thanks, may God bless,

Dwight

It depends on the style of sole that is on the boot.  If it is flat glues on sole you likely can do it.  If it is a molded sole it is not going to happen.  Weldwood in not strong enough to hold it, Renia, masters or barge. 

5 hours ago, electrathon said:

It depends on the style of sole that is on the boot.  If it is flat glues on sole you likely can do it.  If it is a molded sole it is not going to happen.  Weldwood in not strong enough to hold it, Renia, masters or barge. 

Thanks, appreciate the info.  He said he had another pair done some time back, . . . barge was used there, . . . but I think that was the shoe guy who passed away last year.

Mr. Martin was a fixture in the community as far back as I can recall, . . . and I'm 73.  I miss him.

Is there any special prep needed on the insole before "barging" the soles on???

Thanks, may God bless,

Dwight

7 hours ago, Dwight said:

Thanks, appreciate the info.  He said he had another pair done some time back, . . . barge was used there, . . . but I think that was the shoe guy who passed away last year.

Mr. Martin was a fixture in the community as far back as I can recall, . . . and I'm 73.  I miss him.

Is there any special prep needed on the insole before "barging" the soles on???

Thanks, may God bless,

Dwight

A picture would help Dwight but at a guess I'd say you first need to break away all of that probably poly urethane sole and clean it up with a wire brush. Next put a leather randing around the edge to cover up where the other sole came up too. Put on a mid sole say 1/8 -8oz or so thick and get some cobblers tacks long enough to clinch down into the mid sole after gluing it in place. These need to be hammered down onto a steel last normally. Then glue your sole down onto that midsole and sand it all up level with your randing. Often a thin sock liner (insole) would be put inside to make sure the tacks are not going to rub the foot. If it has a midsole already then the barge glue should work alright. Brian

Edited by RockyAussie
missed steps

Thanks, RockyAussie, . . . 

This is one of those "pro-bono" jobs we sometimes do for folks.  No great salary to be had here.

But it would be good to get the experience in case I needed it later on for something else.

I'll clean one of em up early next week and see where we have to go from there.

May God bless,

Dwight

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:41 AM, RockyAussie said:

A picture would help Dwight but at a guess I'd say you first need to break away all of that probably poly urethane sole and clean it up with a wire brush. Next put a leather randing around the edge to cover up where the other sole came up too. Put on a mid sole say 1/8 -8oz or so thick and get some cobblers tacks long enough to clinch down into the mid sole after gluing it in place. These need to be hammered down onto a steel last normally. Then glue your sole down onto that midsole and sand it all up level with your randing. Often a thin sock liner (insole) would be put inside to make sure the tacks are not going to rub the foot. If it has a midsole already then the barge glue should work alright. Brian

This is correct if the bottom sole and midsole are both damaged.  If it is just the bottom sole it is a lot easier.  If it is, you can carefully remove the bottom sole (there is a solvent) and then put on glue primer.  Two layers of glue, then attach the sole.  Trim off the excess with a belt sander and you are done.  It is a lot more complicate if it is more than just the lower sole.

Thanks electrathon, . . . It looks more like this is the way to go with this.  Just the old soles being shot.

May God bless,

Dwight