Jetdoctorbox

Bifold Minimalist Wallet With Credit Card Thumb Slot

C7761B8A-3DCF-480A-AA8D-1AF98F70FC35.thumb.jpeg.5a240706c047c615376f4d7e8444d678.jpeg

Made this bifold minimalist wallet with credit a card thumb slot and diagonal cash strap. A neutral edge coat was applied to seal the edges leaving a nice contrast of color.  I used a 3 to 4 oz veg tanned leather and was hand sewn with a waxed nylon thread. 

Looks really nice!

Looks great! I'm curious about what weight leather you use (if it's not a trade secret!)

14 minutes ago, JMixx said:

Looks great! I'm curious about what weight leather you use (if it's not a trade secret!)

Thanks!  I used a 4 to 5 oz veg tanned. (No trade secrets here! lol)

I love that! I want to teach my kids how to hand stitch. They are home schooled. What are the basic supplies I need to finish veg tan wallets?

1 hour ago, JeannieH said:

I love that! I want to teach my kids how to hand stitch. They are home schooled. What are the basic supplies I need to finish veg tan wallets?

There are an array of different types of dyes, coatings, conditioners, and techniques used to finish veg tanned leather. (Too many to list here.). To try and explain what's needed here would do you an injustice. YouTube is your friend. A lot of what I've learned about leathercraft came from the internet. Tandy Leather has a ton of instructional videos on YouTube on just about anything related to leatherworking. You'll find all you need for the basics of finishing leather there. It's a great resource. 

Beleive it or not, you have one of the best resources right in front of you.....Leatherworker.net. If you go to the section “How It’s Done”, you’ll find a wealth of information and will answer many of your questions. 

Edited by Jetdoctorbox

8 hours ago, JeannieH said:

You could search for hours and probably never find the end of different techniques, methods etc for hand stitching, so I'll tell you how i started...the basic leather kit from tandy contained a few items that are prepunched holes, and come with lace or thread and the instruction booklet.  My first time trying to sew a 3-d shape for a fishing reel case i spent hours on youtube watching different ideas and settled on boxstitching.  You see what i'm getting at?  for something like this wallet or others, I'd get at least something to mark my lines for holes/stitching...this can be a number of things from a straight edge and a blunt narrow edged object (i've used a butter knife and old screwdriver that i ground down on the bench grinder) my preferred tool now is an edge creaser with a guide or wing dividers (the old school style compass with a stylus in the pencil spot would work if you can keep it from opening.  

Now for the holes, i started out with a simple grip style leather punch that i'd used for belt holes, i've seen videos of folks using a dill press, nails, etc...to keep the holes spaced you can line up a ruler and make tick marks with a pointed object then make the holes with an awl.  My preferred method on this is the craftool  diamond hole chisel set for the range of spacing etc. for hand stitching ( i use the saddle stitch for wallets and other items back to back)

One of my wallets i used the hole punch and punched holes all around and used leather lace to do the mexican round edge braid all the way around the outside (looks nice but bulky)

It's all a matter of preference and letting the kids decide what they enjoy, i also should mention that when stitching it's helpful to have something hold the work while you use your hands, especially for two needle (saddle stitching) like a stitching pony or a wood bench vise with padding.  
I hope this gets you started, also leathercraft library has a bunch of free educational patterns for educators working with kids  You add to the cart and when you "purchase" there is no charge and you get your downoad links there or in email.

Thanks for the replies guys!  I should have been more specific lol.  I am talking about to finish the edges.  I have tools to mark the stitch lines and make the holes...but I only have edge paint.  I know there are different things needed to finish the edges just by burnishing.  So, what are the basic things I would need to get nice edges without using paint?  

3 minutes ago, JeannieH said:

Thanks for the replies guys!  I should have been more specific lol.  I am talking about to finish the edges.  I have tools to mark the stitch lines and make the holes...but I only have edge paint.  I know there are different things needed to finish the edges just by burnishing.  So, what are the basic things I would need to get nice edges without using paint?  

aha, i didn't even touch that....lol, for burnishing there are as many opinions/options...but again for my preferred method on wallets, if using heavier vegtan i use a small edge skiver to round of the edges so when the backs meet it forms a sort of semicircle, then i sand to make sure there is no glue and the edges are even.  I then lightly dampen the edges with water or gum trag and use a wood burnishing tool to slick the edges.  I will do these while watching t.v. or just relaxing in the recliner to keep my hands busy.  The edge paint works as well, especially on softer/thinner leather edges, with that i have also sanded to ensure the edges are smooth and shaped and no ridges or valleys then i'll use a separate edge burnisher to slick the painted edges to almost a mirror gloss.

Ok!  So I will get gum trag and a wood burnisher.  I already have an edge skiver.  Thanks for the info!

1 minute ago, JeannieH said:

Ok!  So I will get gum trag and a wood burnisher.  I already have an edge skiver.  Thanks for the info!

Makk sure with the gum trag if you'ree using eco-flo or similar color, don't get it on the pretty side of the face.  I use my finger with a light touch but for the kiddos q-tips or small paint brushes would work well.  

Ok.  I will do some youtubing too.

1 hour ago, JeannieH said:

I have a quick solution for you that just came to mind. . There is a company that I get a lot of my acrylic patterns from. The company is called MakeSupply. Go to their web site: www.makesupply-leather.com  

There you will find all of their products for sale along with step by step build along videos associated with those products. I can't tell you how much I've learned from Justin who is the owner of MakeSpply. In every one of his videos he shows you the tools and supplies needed in order to complete and put finished edges on Leather projects. Problem solved!  lol

25 minutes ago, Northmount said:

For edge burnishing read Bob Park's pinned post under how to do that. 

Just read the article you suggested by Bob Park and it was very good. I was not aware of the glycerin bar soap as opposed to Tragacanth. That's what I love about this site....,You are always learning from others. Thanks for the post!