I'm planning to build a case for my shotgun and was thinking about lining it with sheepskin. I have a lot of 1" bark tanned shearling left over from saddles. Any opinions on this? 

Thanks in advance,

Randy

If I used sheepskin, . . . I would make sure never to leave the gun in there.  It would be for travel only, . . . and even then, . . . not across country.

Any moisture at all in there is not going away, . . . except after it turns to rust on your gun.

May God bless,

Dwight

I have to agree with Dwight - specially if the skin contains wool and you use that as padding. At first the sheepskin will look great, but after a while oil and dust turns to grime in the wool and then the problems start!!

if its just the skin (leather) then it would have to be tanned well and not attract moisture or rust becomes your biggest enemy.

Not ALL leather is suitable for fire arms - I made a pouch for magazines and left the mags in the pouch. When I removed it a few weeks later I had to start removing rust marks from the mags.

I do know of one military group, . . . a veterans "Honor Guard" organization that used to use canvas ones what had a wool like lining.  

I don't know if it was real wool or synthetic, . . . but the main reason they used them was for the "bump" factor, . . . you could throw 10 of em in the back of the pickup truck, . . . drive 50 miles on back gravel roads, . . . and they wouldn't bump together and scratch each other up.

They went into the bags . . . . to the ceremony, . . . out of the bags for performance, . . . back in the bags for the trip home, . . . and out of the bags ASAP once arrival back at the Amvets post.  NEVER were left in the bags even overnight.

The wool would be good for the bump protection, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

I made a rifle scabbard for my saddle and lined it with synthetic wool. It turned out pretty good and I like it was worth the cost. If you use real wool you may want to shave it down a bit as it is a lot denser than the synthetic and you might have trouble stitching the edges of the case together. Not sure if that helps or not.

-Ryan

Thanks for the comments. You've talked me out of using sheepskin so that leaves me wondering what to use. Any suggestions? 

Randy

Synthetic wool is your best bet Like others said, Real will cause to rust if left in.....  I have used it a lot and works great for protecting what is inside..

The darker is real, synthetic wool is the lighter colour...

image1.jpg

Kiwi's are not interested.  :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

Kiwi's are not interested.  :rolleyes:

Only if they come with a puncture repair kit!

On 11/03/2018 at 8:13 AM, Matt S said:

Only if they come with a puncture repair kit!

You must be thinking of Australians! 

1 hour ago, kiwican said:

You must be thinking of Australians! 

I dunno mate, saw some velcro gloves in the Swanndri shop the other day...

40 minutes ago, Matt S said:

I dunno mate, saw some velcro gloves in the Swanndri shop the other day...

Never let it be said that we don't cater to our ANZAC brothers!