JeannieH

Great site I found with the best thread I have came across!

Hello everyone! I have been using this business to buy my supplies. The Vinymo thread from Japan they sell is the best I have ever used! It can be used to hand stitch AND in your machine!!! That’s such a bonus for me! Reasonable prices and extremely great customer service. The owner, Bill has helped me so much. I thought I’d share the link to his site. He has everything from leather, tools, edge finishing supplies, books, etc. the link will get you 10% off your purchase as well.

http://i.refs.cc/i95g1PzD?u=1520691892201

Thanks for sharing!

Very welcome

Yes, thanks!  Only wish the thread description gave a comparison to millimeters or something other than a visual representation.  Wonder which size is similar to .8 mm Tiger Thread for example.

Edited by Tugadude

6 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Yes, thanks!  Only wish the thread description gave a comparison to millimeters or something other than a visual representation.  Wonder which size is similar to .8 mm Tiger Thread for example.

Does this help

80B825DB-08AB-4C6A-8344-C4395E6770BF.jpeg

57D23DA5-5097-4187-8932-2D0AF3D81F77.jpeg

E173DC85-6FD5-4E36-9D20-C283648CB468.jpeg

Vinymo thread is nice.  Consistent, selection, versatility and best of all, cheap. It’s a twisted thread so it has a similar look as linen.  Its surprisingly strong and because of the consistency, it actually looks thinner than comparable threads the same size.  My only criticisms are: it’s shiny and it has a strange stretch to it.  When hand sewing it has a tendency to stretch but it recovers.  

Bill is great and works hard to bring really interesting stuff in and his selection of per sq ft leathers can’t be beat and a great way to feel and work with leathers before committing to a full side. 

Thanks for the extra info webicons! I haven’t noticed the stretching, but I am new to leather and handstitching so that may be why lol. Yes Bill is great. If he starts selling leather hides for me to make bags with I will be ecstatic! Have any of you heard of Gruppo Mastrotto express? A tannery in Italy. Mastrotto.com

Im having a hard time finding the leather I want for my bags. Well fineleatherworking has the shrunken calf I really want, but it’s not cost effective for me right now...my bag needs 5 sq ft..the shrunken calf is perfect but I won’t get a lot for my money. I need at least 4 oz..supple but hold its shape..soft..but not floppy..high quality but not too expensive..lol..any suggestions throw them at me!

I think the problem is that you have developed an expensive taste in leather!:P

Its difficult for District or any other vendor that typically sells by the sqft to offer nice European or Asian imports at larger sizes.  After shipping costs, labor, customs duties and yield is taken into account, the margins start to get thin and it’s just more profitable to sell per square. 

There are some local shops in NYC that offer leathers that resembles shrunken calf (actually chrome cow/lower right). This the Navajo line at Global Leathers. 

Tempesti offers a line called St. Venere and St Gemini in a lot of colors with a nice pronounced grain.  They will sell one or two shoulders for trial but after that the MOQ jumps up pretty high. 

Did you ask @nstarleather if he had anything like what you’re looking for?  His prices are great and he will sell small quantities. 

22629106-29BE-47FF-ABFE-B7082C076AD5.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Webicons said:

I think the problem is that you have developed an expensive taste in leather!:P

Its difficult for District or any other vendor that typically sells by the sqft to offer nice European or Asian imports at larger sizes.  After shipping costs, labor, customs duties and yield is taken into account, the margins start to get thin and it’s just more profitable to sell per square. 

There are some local shops in NYC that offer leathers that resembles shrunken calf (actually chrome cow/lower right). This the Navajo line at Global Leathers. 

Tempesti offers a line called St. Venere and St Gemini in a lot of colors with a nice pronounced grain.  They will sell one or two shoulders for trial but after that the MOQ jumps up pretty high. 

Did you ask @nstarleather if he had anything like what you’re looking for?  His prices are great and he will sell small quantities. 

22629106-29BE-47FF-ABFE-B7082C076AD5.jpeg

Yes you are right lol..looks like I have fallen in love with the fine leather I can afford right now. I just want my bags to be bought and women just squeal because of how well the leather feels lol. At the same time, I’m new to all of this so I don’t know who has high quality at prices I can afford. The first hide I bought I was very disappointed. I got it from a seller on Etsy. It’s hard to buy and it’s not in person. For this bag I need a durable yet soft leather. No I don’t know who nstarleather is but I will look him up as well as the other companies you mentioned. I have samples from places like Garrett leather, mastrotto, and United leather. Garrett is way too high..Mastrotto doesn’t have the thickness I want. The bag was made from an upholstery hide by holly hunt..purchased from a seller on eBay. Anyway, thanks. Once I find the right place I will be able to sleep lol.

10 minutes ago, nstarleather said:

I'm not really a leather seller but if you check the Leather and Lace section in the For Sale section of this site you can see some of what I have.  

Best deal I've had that's anything like what you've got there is some HAAS Calf scrap by the pound- I've still got some left, though I'm not sure how big you need the pieces.  

I sent you a pm before I saw your post lol. I don’t need anymore Haas right now because I just bought some. 

5 hours ago, JeannieH said:

The first hide I bought I was very disappointed. I got it from a seller on Etsy. 

May I ask what leather you purchased and from whom on Etsy? 

Well it was just listed as black pebbled leather. I rather not say who. The leather just wasn’t what I was expecting.

Edited by JeannieH