MisterSmith

1911 Holster OWB Mohogany & Black Sunburst

I wanted to create an atypical looking holster as far as pattern design that was inteded to be carried at the 4/5 o'clock position. I used 8oz Hermann-oak, and 1.2mm tiger thread for the stitching. The dye work was done with an air brush, and fiebiengs' mohogany & black. All comments, critiques and criticism welcome! 

Happy Leather-crafting! 

LRG_DSC01323.jpg

LRG_DSC01322.jpg

LRG_DSC01324.jpg

Edited by MisterSmith

I like it generally - and nice color.  Only question would be if it's carried that far back, is it fixin'a stick out (from the profile) with barrel that length?  Looks like solid work, nice 'n' tight.

Nice job on the colors, and you made that thick thread look elegant.  How deep is that trigger guard indentation?  any concerns it would pull the trigger when reholstering?

YinTx

@YinTx the indentation isn’t tremendously deep. The lighting makes it look a little a further recessed than it is. Accidental discharge is something I’m fanatically paranoid about, and take great care to mold aroud the trigger guard.

@JLSleather it does stick out a bit from the barrel length. To get the angle of reach to the handle that far back was kinda the challenge, and that was the trade off that was made. More trial and error needs to be done to get this right.

I appreciate you folks checking it out. 

Edited by MisterSmith
Typo

Wow looks great, nice stitching and dye job!

Very nice! The stitching looks very professional, like mine never does:(

I have never seen a 1911 45 acp in blue but it looks good:)

I too appreciate the concern for safety and accidental discharges of firearms but there are numerous safety features on the 1911 series of pistols:

1. Carry with no round in the chamber.

2. Don't carry with the trigger cocked on a live round seated in the chamber.

3. Given number 2, there is still the 'safety lever' trigger lock.

4. given 2 and 3 above, the 'Beaver tail' safety right below the trigger must be pushed forward with the web between the thumb and index finger for the weapon to fire.

I sometimes carry my M1911 Gold Cup National Match, in 45 acp in Stainless steel.

I would suggest a strap of some kind to hold the pistol within the holster--just in case.

Nice work!

Sam:)

Nice, clean work, Mister Smith!  If I could make one suggestion in regards to function; typically when the belt slots are so far apart, the holster will tend to sag, especially as the holster wears and softens a bit.  With an all steel 40 oz. 1911, that'll happen sooner than later.  If you move the slots inboard (specifically the trigger guard side)  it will do wonders for pulling the butt of the pistol in towards the body.  

Just my two cents, and nothing to take away from the fine work, sir!

@Joon1911 @ComputerDoctor I appreciate you checking out the post, and very valid feedback.