Killerwork

Hammer, Maul, Rock? What do you use and how heavy?

So I have lived on this forum since I found it and discovered my love for leather products, especially what ever I happen to make....(DISCLAIMER: I am a no on and have not made to much besides a bunch of scrap I can't find beauty in. But it always is taken as an object to learn from, even if I take my diamond chisel and practice my hand sweing!)

So to my topic, I see a lot of discussion about stamps, surfaces, thread, machines, and so on. But I have not seen anything as far as what tool you prefer to use as a striker?

I happen to have access to a wood lathe and have become pretty decent at using it.

This is my maul. Roughly only a month old. It measures in at 9 inch long with 3 inch inch surface, 2 1/4 inch thick. Weighs 9 ounces with the help of lead shot core.

As you can tell it does dent easy, but so easy to fix and replace, it works.

0311182112_resized(1).jpg

don't let no body fool ya ifen it works then it ain't broke, none of the fancy tools kin make ya a better tooler.  And unless ya gotts tons O cash ya want to start parten with then just work with what ya gots plain n simple.  but is iffen ya wont to part with some cash theres lots of posts bout wacker sticks n mauls, and lots of good vendors that advertise here that'll take yer money fer some real good tools.

By  

@OLDNSLOW so my question to you would be what is your preference. What is it that you use and since money has been brought up, did you pay for it?

For lighter tooling, pattern marking, snap/rivet setting and small punching, I use a 1# dead blow hammer from ... drum roll please ... Harbor Freight!  I use a 3# dead blow from the same reputable dealer for slot punching and maker's marks.  Cheap, fairly durable and easily replaced.   The faces do wear out, but it takes some time.  I make gun leather with minimal stamping so I stay more to the orthopedic end of the leather working spectrum.

I have 3 mauls I think it is with out running out there to count, and 1 very small mallet, 2 of them I think came from Barry's, 1 is a no name that was probably came from china. And I did pay for them all, but if I did have access to machines I probably would make a few to see how they would come out, but I don't so I buy. 

@OLDNSLOW

Barry's are worth the cost! All of his tools are well worth the money. Unfortunately this early in my journey I have yet to be able to justify the cost to my wife, she just responds can't you make that. It never comes out anywhere close!

Barry makes some good stuff I have a few of his swivel knife blades, good stuff wish I could afford more being retired and trying to earn extra money with leather is money tight!

5 hours ago, Killerwork said:

@OLDNSLOW

Barry's are worth the cost! All of his tools are well worth the money. Unfortunately this early in my journey I have yet to be able to justify the cost to my wife, she just responds can't you make that. It never comes out anywhere close!

Some people have been known to turn a roller skate or pallet jack wheel into a mallet head.

That, a bolt, a nut, a washer, and a few pieces of stacked could make a pretty nice mallet.

I tool with a rawhide mallet about 2" diameter head, 11 oz.  And the old one - same thing just more worn - drives small punches, slots.  Under $30 and will last YEARS of pounding ALL DAY.  You can get them "fancier", but I'm a leather worker, not a tool collector.

Troy.jpgjm.jpg

I recently picked up a maul off of ebay from China, for all of $10, simply because I wanted to know if the maul style would work for me, as I had been using the "T" shaped hammer style.  It does, and I don't see wearing it out any time soon, and now that I have one, can't see dropping big $$ on a nicer name brand maul.  Not that I wouldn't want to, because I happen to also like to collect and use nice things.  Unfortunately.  for my bank account.

YinTx

Ya for many years till I went into management I made a living with my tools, the Snap On, Matco, Mac, type tools and boy oh boy did my wife hate the name Snap On, but ya know what all those tools were a write off at the end of the years because with out them it would have been kind of hard to run the wrack on a Cummins engine.  Along with the fact that the O E M's would use a knew type of screw head every year, to try and keep drivers from tearing shite up, so we always ( us wrenchers ) had to buy new stuff, see above about write offs.  But in the end they more than paid for themselves, but so is life then I went into management.  And of course then instead of fancy Snap On tools, I had to buy nice slacks and shirts to do that job sheesh talk about trying to make a nice leather item out of some old wrinkled skin.   

21 hours ago, Killerwork said:

So I have lived on this forum since I found it and discovered my love for leather products, especially what ever I happen to make....(DISCLAIMER: I am a no on and have not made to much besides a bunch of scrap I can't find beauty in. But it always is taken as an object to learn from, even if I take my diamond chisel and practice my hand sweing!)

So to my topic, I see a lot of discussion about stamps, surfaces, thread, machines, and so on. But I have not seen anything as far as what tool you prefer to use as a striker?

I happen to have access to a wood lathe and have become pretty decent at using it.

This is my maul. Roughly only a month old. It measures in at 9 inch long with 3 inch inch surface, 2 1/4 inch thick. Weighs 9 ounces with the help of lead shot core.

As you can tell it does dent easy, but so easy to fix and replace, it works.

0311182112_resized(1).jpg

Dig the maul. Have you thought about a rawhide wrap? Also I haven't tried it yet but if you look on you tube, certain milk cartons can be melted down for the poly.

My first Maul is 2lb from goods china and looks exactly like a BK but in silver. Less expensive and I love it.

My second Maul is 1lb from Russia by way of Etsy. Almost a month arrives tomorrow. I'll let you know.

My rawhide mallet is from parts unknown (I've forgotten) and I've modified the heck out of it decoratively. Make it yourself or make it your own is my opinion.

PS In the olden days husbands kept 'shoe money'. what the wife doesn't know... LOL scratch that, they always know.

Now I really want to drill a hole in a river rock and add a handle! Thanks!

@Mjolnir I am actually making my attempt at that. I just have not found the right type to use just yet. I have a business account at a landscape design supplier and the selections they have is endless. That is the whole reason I mentioned rock!

I actually use those small glass bead rocks that belong in fish tanks for decoration to slick and edge extremely tight spots.

I used a small woodworkers mallet for years til someone told me it was 'wrong'  some years later I've gone back to it. it's perfect for me.

I also use a very cheap plastic headed thing on a dowel handle - that's great as well.

I love spending money on tools, but it usually goes on things with a sharp edge or motors, just bought a Singer Patcher 29K in lovely condition which is fantastic to use.

If it works for you,  it don't matter what it is.

1 minute ago, KittenThrasher said:

If it works for you,  it don't matter what it is.

I fully agree with you. That is why I am loving leatherwork! There are so many ways of doing everything that there is no right or wrong, it just works for some and not others! 

I watch many videos on YouTube and as soon as someone says "this is the right way" I shut it off!

I know something are easier other ways but its not my way. 

I am still new to this, going on a couple months so my tools are very few, a majority handmade. I am working on some stamps now. First attempt was ugly, but now the bolts I used are holding my spools of thread, no use to waste good material.

As mentioned above, it's all about what works for you!

I've got several poundy tools that I use, and a few that I gave up on for leather.  

Wooden tapered maul that was given to me:  about 16oz. Liked the feel, but eventually it started splintering on leather tools, so now it's for woodworking chisels only.

Rawhide mallets, also gifted to me:  12oz & 16oz. They work fine, and still see some use - but never felt as nice as the maul did.

Chinesium cheapo maul from eBay:  About 16oz. Not bad for $12!  Still used often, but it's not tapered so still not as comfy as that wooden one.  You need to hold up your arm to use it rather than rest an elbow on the work surface .. Same with most mallets.

Shop Fox maul from Grizzley:  16oz & 30oz.  These are tapered, rubber wrapped wooden mauls and feel really nice but the rubber is a little too bouncy for tooling leather - They're fantastic for woodworking, tho!  The price was right at <$20.

Dead blow mallet:  32oz.  Great for those big 3D stamps where bouncing can lead to double impressions.  Also great for strap end and oblong cutting punches. NO bounce on this one!

About 6 months ago, I injured my shoulder so haven't done much tooling since - and what little I have done has been resting my elbow on the work surface.  A tapered maul in the 14-16oz range is in the future for me, I think.  I've been looking at Barry King mauls .. so ... tempted ...

They all have their place and uses - it's all about figuring out what works for you!

- Bill

On a side; do you name your tools?

i have some craft friends & one evening (alcohol may have been involved) we had a very lengthy discussion and ended up naming our hammers 

i have a nice 1lb poly hammer that is now referred to as Henry

my cheap rawhide hammer, that could not get on with has a rude name that I won’t post here :rolleyes:

@HaloJones

So my wooden maul that I posted, his name is Gobber, after my favorite character in my daughters favorite cartoon. 

This guy is my little helper, he has no point but to sit in front of me and remind me to smile and for that reason he is named after an old squad member I had in the Army, he was able to make a joke in all situations!

0318182134_resized(1).jpg

Just got my new 16oz tapered maul from Russia. Took a month but it's pretty. Thick poly. $62 total for20180319_110314_resized_1.jpg shipping and maul, found on ETSY.

@Mjolnir I like the new maul, what does she weigh in at? 

I still love your rawhide mallet! It is an inspirational piece of art, I need to go get some rawhide, and I am thinking a nice cocobolo handle.

3 minutes ago, Killerwork said:

@Mjolnir I like the new maul, what does she weigh in at? 

I still love your rawhide mallet! It is an inspirational piece of art, I need to go get some rawhide, and I am thinking a nice cocobolo handle.

Woops, would this be the 1lb one you were waiting on?

12 minutes ago, Killerwork said:

Woops, would this be the 1lb one you were waiting on?

That's the one. I'm excited try it out. Now I can destroy (recreate:) my cheap-o yellow poly mallet!

I don't do any tooling so the only maul I need is for punches. It started as a 4" HFPE rod from McMaster chucked up in an engine lathe and turned to a slightly conical shape with a countersunk hole for the handle. The handle is a former maple chair leg chucked up in a wood lathe to turn a round tenon for the business end and sand a rounded grip to fit my hand.

In case anyone's considering turning HDPE on any lathe, do yourself a favor and screw it to a plate instead of chucking it up. It deforms under pressure and will eventually wobble its way free. I can confirm from experience that something weighing several pounds getting thrown from an industrial machine is in fact terrifying.

It weighs 1.5 lbs including the handle.

This one's been in service for several years with no real damage to speak of.

Also well suited for home defense.

IMG_0529.png.e14e985a4257a698043453b4c0e0c64f.png