Frank

Highlights from the Last 4 Years

Hey all,

It's been about 4 years since I last logged on here. I'm glad to see the site still getting good use. I've just been too busy to sit down and read. Anyways, no I've not "stepped on a rainbow". I am still around and still kicking. Here are just a few highlights of the past 4 years.

DSC04953.JPG

DSC04976.JPG

DSC05165.JPG

DSC05178.JPG

DSC05186.JPG

DSC05242.JPG

DSC05372.JPG

DSC05392.JPG

DSC05429.JPG

DSC05576.JPG

DSC05648.JPG

DSC05688.JPG

DSC05715.JPG

DSC05718.JPG

20180226_110320.jpg

DSC05710.JPG

DSC05612.JPG

DSC05000.jpg

David Clarke 001.jpg

Yep, looks like you have been really busy.

That all looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Those are some beautiful pieces! I love that breast collar....

Fine craftsmanship, Frank! I checked out your website...more top-shelf, heirloom examples to be found there as well. Inspiring, sir...thanks for sharing!

Very nice work Frank!  Which background tool are you using on the revolver holsters?  I like the nice even background.

Gary

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate it. I just can't believe how time has gotten away from me. I've been featured in so many magazine articles the last 2 years that even I can't fathom it. Gary, the backgrounder that I used on both of those holsters is: Craftool Co. USA 104

Very nice work Frank! I would be forever in your debt if you could share your secret on how you inserted that Susan B. Anthony dollar into that case. My next project is a holster for my brother's new Colt SAA.  I wanted to do the same thing only with an old silver dollar that belonged to our great grandmother. Thanks!

Keith

I was going to ask about the coin holder in the first photo as well, all of your work is top shelf for sure and would like to see more of your items for sure.  Its nice to have recognition for work well done either from major or minor publications, they can be a real shot in the arm for any business after the pubs hit the street good job!

That is an awesome display of craftsmanship.

Something for all of us to aspire to in your work there Frank.  Keep up the great work

Ross

Welcome back to the forum and I love your work.

Thanks everyone. I do very much appreciate it. As far as the finish coat, 99% of the time, I use Fiebing's Bag Kote. Bag Kote produces the nicest looking finish IMO. If I need a tougher finish and a resist, then I use Fiebing's Tan Kote.
The coin business card holster was a little tricky. If I remember correctly, the center hole on the rosette was 2 punch sizes smaller than the edge of the coin. This gives enough "meat" to stitch and trap the coin in there. I think the stitch line was about an 1/8 inch from the inside edge. Scribe the stitch line with a dividers, then mark your stitch holes. Hand punch the holes in the rosette, then lay the rosette on the project and transfer the markings over to the project then punch those holes (be sure to lightly mark the top stitch hole on the rosette, so you know where to line it up). Start stitching in the middle on either the left or right side, depending on you, and stitch down and around the bottom to the other side. When the stitching is less than half way done, slide a flat bone folder inside the rosette to stretch it out a bit, right up to the stitching. Slide the coin in and push it in there hard to seat it up against the stitching, but make sure you have it centered. They can be a bugger to turn inside the rosette. Then start stitching the rest of the way. It just takes patience.

Thank you Frank!

Keith

Really beautiful pieces. I love the studded belt and holster set.

I think I said this above but your work is really top notch!! I would like to know what stamp was used on the holster and knife sheath, also is the pattern for the shoulder holster rig your own?

Thanks Again!

Thanks again. As far as the stamp on the sheath and holster, that is a Barry King Sea shell stamp without the optional filler stamp. As far as the western style shoulder holsters, yes they are my own pattern. I used and modified the top shoulder strap and the lacing hole pattern from Al Stohlman's How To Make Holsters. The M3 Tanker style is close to the original, I just made the straps wider, added a sliding shoulder patch, and used all Sam Browne Studs instead of snaps. The double 1911 Shoulder rig (holster pattern itself) was given to me by Ray Cory who used to own Lobo Gunleather.