Little King Goods posted this stitching pony on his IG and had to order one.  It came from Korea in about 2 weeks a little pricey for what it is, it is very nice and very portable.  I am going to put some leather on the jaws  love this design I think I might have to reverse engineer this in walnut or oak.  

20180312_190706_resized.thumb.jpg.7a1a5cd953031a24b30cc62a6ccb7d8f.jpg

20180312_190736_resized.jpg

I like the concept, I saw this last year some time and started engineering a similar one to cut out on my CNC machine. I apparently shelved the project, as I forgot all about it until this post. I think it may be time for me to dust it off and get back to working on it. I like the fact that it attaches to a table, I didn't like that it was made out of laminated plywood. My prototype is out of MDF because it's cheap, but the finished product will definitely be a hard wood.

Let us know how you like it after you have put it through it's paces.

Karina

33 minutes ago, veedub3 said:

I like the concept, I saw this last year some time and started engineering a similar one to cut out on my CNC machine. I apparently shelved the project, as I forgot all about it until this post. I think it may be time for me to dust it off and get back to working on it. I like the fact that it attaches to a table, I didn't like that it was made out of laminated plywood. My prototype is out of MDF because it's cheap, but the finished product will definitely be a hard wood.

Karina

I didn't mind how it was constructed but wish it was made from harder wood.  You could cnc one made from  plexiglass  laminated then flame torch the ends and sandwich some leds in the middle LOL.

It is very pretty. Making that yourself would be a headache. It doesn't have a lot of depth. Leaves me curious how thick the watch straps would have to be.

2 hours ago, AdamPCain said:

You could cnc one made from  plexiglass  laminated then flame torch the ends and sandwich some leds in the middle LOL.

Yeah, no!

2 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

Making that yourself would be a headache. 

Actually, it won't be a headache to make if you know how to use Fusion 360 and a CNC machine which I happen to own and know quite well. I just got busy with paying projects and all and put that project on the back burner.

6 hours ago, veedub3 said:

Yeah, no!

Actually, it won't be a headache to make if you know how to use Fusion 360 and a CNC machine which I happen to own and know quite well. I just got busy with paying projects and all and put that project on the back burner.

I run a C02 5000w Mitsubishi laser at work, no time to do side projects.

18 hours ago, veedub3 said:

Karina

I have 4x8 shopbot CNC. I am looking at making one to. I like the automatic foot peddle clamp the same people sell. Don't know how well it will hold.

If your not trying to sell yours and don't mind shearing the files I would like take a look at them 

17 hours ago, Joseph1836 said:

If your not trying to sell yours and don't mind shearing the files I would like take a look at them 

Sure I would be happy to share. Hopefully this weekend I can revisit the project. When I was last working on the project, I had just started trying to figure out the center part that clamps to the table. Once I get that dialed in it should be ready to go.

Karina

On 2018. 3. 13. at 9:05 AM, veedub3 said:

Karina

It's a product that's developed with wisdom to live on. It's a good idea to try, but don't sell it.

And it's being made out of walnut.

Please protect my intellectual property.

dream factory

lee ho myoung

Edited by DreamFactory

22 hours ago, DreamFactory said:

It's a product that's developed with wisdom to live on. It's a good idea to try, but don't sell it.

And it's being made out of walnut.

Please protect my intellectual property.

dream factory

lee ho myoung

If you read and understood my post I clearly stated I was making one SIMILAR! Not a knock off of yours. You are not the first person to make a stitching pony that attaches to a table, and I sure won't be the last to try this. I am not making a copy of your design. Make no mistake, the design I come up with will be MY design, and if I choose to sell it or give it away, that is my right. 

Karina

Even fully closed it leaves a little gap at the top? Are you stiching standing or seated cuz imo this sits high when seated or you can tilt it towards yourself?

Edited by Bodra

5 hours ago, veedub3 said:

If you read and understood my post I clearly stated I was making one SIMILAR! Not a knock off of yours. You are not the first person to make a stitching pony that attaches to a table, and I sure won't be the last to try this. I am not making a copy of your design. Make no mistake, the design I come up with will be MY design, and if I choose to sell it or give it away, that is my right. 

Karina

First of all, I sincerely appologize if I hurt your feeling. I thought you are trying to copy my invention.   Sorry about misunderstanding.  Please keep up the good work. 

Sincerely,

Lee Homyoung

Edited by DreamFactory

1 hour ago, DreamFactory said:

First of all, I sincerely appologize if I hurt your feeling. I thought you are trying to copy my invention.   Sorry about misunderstanding.  Please keep up the good work. 

Sincerely,

Lee Homyoung

Hi

LOL!

Lee you are talking to Americans here.

We have invented or improved more things than the rest of the World put together!

While I appreciate your workmanship, it is nothing that has not been done many times before in this country!

Good luck with your endevours, but this ain't Rocket Science, just shop work!

52 minutes ago, seagiant said:

Hi

LOL!

We have invented or improved more things than the rest of the World put together!

While I appreciate your workmanship, it is nothing that has not been done many times before in this country!

My English is not good. I want to clear up the misunderstanding. I look forward to your kind cooperation.

IF I may jump in: a cobbler which was in a small town near me [sadly closed down these many years] used several clamp-to-table clams. He used a low bench and clamped the clam to it, so it was at seated working height. The object of using them was he clamped the item he was working on in a clam and he could quickly change what he was working on without disturbing it in the clam. The cobbler told me that these clams had been in use since at least the 1930s, he'd inherited them from his fore-fathers. Proving nothing in this Leather-working is new, just slightly different

There is nothing new under the sun.....

.....except Doritos Tacos, which, happen to be horrible. How could they take such a wonderful chip and mess it up like that?

I think @DreamFactory has every right to be concerned when this thread discusses making copies of his design.

It's hard enough to make a living doing leather work without always having to worry about someone stealing either core aspects of your design or just a blatant copy.

When people say "similar" all I can think about is Raphael's Lean wallet v. Craft&Lore's Port wallet (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jamesraphael/the-leantm-essentials-wallet-from-raphael-quality/posts/1286812). 

Everyone has a right to make their own, it's a free world, i'm just saying, put yourself in his shoes before being indignant and give this guy a break. 

With all this talk of reverse engineering, any self respecting maker would be concerned. 

1 hour ago, Webicons said:

I think @DreamFactory has every right to be concerned when this thread discusses making copies of his design.

There is no mention anywhere in this thread of anyone saying they were copying his design.

When people say "similar" all I can think about is Raphael's Lean wallet v. Craft&Lore's Port wallet (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jamesraphael/the-leantm-essentials-wallet-from-raphael-quality/posts/1286812). 

Oh please, if that's the case then everything anyone of us has ever made is copying someone's work, which isn't the case here. 

With all this talk of reverse engineering, any self respecting maker would be concerned. 

Where in this thread did anyone say anything about reverse engineering? 

If this was an original Idea or concept I could understand why someone would get upset, but there are so many images in old leather working books and on google of stitching ponys attached to tables, whose to say this guy didn't get his inspiration form one of those. So does the same apply to him because he made one "similar" to others already on the market or currently being used?

This type of design first landed on my radar years ago and it is made by Sheridan called the Colt Stitcher.  I decided then I wanted one - but a modified one for my specific needs. I forgot about that until I saw another one clamped to a table last year, and it wasn't even this one, it was the one made by Elfita.  Because I have a shop full of tools, and the skills to make one, that is what I decided to do. For the last 3+ years I have simply been laying my stitching pony on it's side and using an Irwin quick clamp to clamp it to my work table. Last year when I saw the Elfita clamp I decided it was time to upgrade that. So I opened up my design software and started engineering/designing one - I just haven't finished it. (a process which is very different from reverse engineering btw.) 

Karina

Edited by veedub3

2 hours ago, veedub3 said:

There is no mention anywhere in this thread of anyone saying they were copying his design.

Oh please, if that's the case then everything anyone of us has ever made is copying someone's work, which isn't the case here. 

Where in this thread did anyone say anything about reverse engineering? 

If this was an original Idea or concept I could understand why someone would get upset, but there are so many images in old leather working books and on google of stitching ponys attached to tables, whose to say this guy didn't get his inspiration form one of those. So does the same apply to him because he made one "similar" to others already on the market or currently being used?

This type of design first landed on my radar years ago and it is made by Sheridan called the Colt Stitcher.  I decided then I wanted one - but a modified one for my specific needs. I forgot about that until I saw another one clamped to a table last year, and it wasn't even this one, it was the one made by Elfita.  Because I have a shop full of tools, and the skills to make one, that is what I decided to do. For the last 3+ years I have simply been laying my stitching pony on it's side and using an Irwin quick clamp to clamp it to my work table. Last year when I saw the Elfita clamp I decided it was time to upgrade that. So I opened up my design software and started engineering/designing one - I just haven't finished it. (a process which is very different from reverse engineering btw.) 

Karina

The Elfita pony maker is my friend. (korean)
My pony is a structural difference.
My Pony's strength is in the fold. (Portable)
I'm glad to hear that you are inspired by Elfita pony.
I wish you good work.

Lee Ho Myoung

I also think @DreamFactory has the right to be concerned and also was totally polite about it, you shouldn't just copy this really nice pony (kudos to DreamFactory for the really nice item), but I disagree with @Webicons about the Lean and Port wallets. Something like the Lean wallet is neither innovative design (it is in fact lean, because it's just a piece of leather wrapped around 3 times) nor something that could be patented. Even I do these things as a minimal wallet without even knowing there's someone else calling it a "Lean (tm) wallet", although I use different material and are still able to cut and make holes by hand and not with a laser. It's like claiming you invented the card slots for a bifold wallet, the possibilities for designs are limited and thus are doomed to be "copied". But that's just my $0.02

But I have a slightly offtopic question to @DreamFactory, just because you mentioned it: Is Elfita still doing business? I love their tools and would like to order some, however they didn't respond to my mails and since you know them personally...

Andy

This is the first post in the thread...clearly mentions reverse engineering.  FWIW.

• Members
  •  
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:wallets, bags
  • Leatherwork Specialty:none yet
  • Interested in learning about:camera bags
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:forum search

Little King Goods posted this stitching pony on his IG and had to order one.  It came from Korea in about 2 weeks a little pricey for what it is, it is very nice and very portable.  I am going to put some leather on the jaws  love this design I think I might have to reverse engineer this in walnut or oak.  

The beauty of this design is the fact that the pony swivels and turns to accomodate the work.  With a typical horse or pony, you have to sometimes do gymnastics with the project in order to get a good angle to stitch.  Not so with this design.  If you have not, click on the link and look carefully at the photos.  

On 3/21/2018 at 5:18 AM, seagiant said:

Hi

LOL!

Actually the Asian world has been around much longer than America has been a country, please read https://www.history.com/topics/korea/south-korea, and as far as inventions many products you think were invented by the US were actually invented by Koreans and licensed to US companies like Apple and/or stolen by the US.  See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Korean_inventions_and_discoveries.  Check your facts before you do your bashing.

from retired history teacher.