howlback

How do I cut a straight belt border?

I have tried and tried and tried... Is it me? The knife? The leather? :wacko:

Anyway, just looking for advice on how to cut those long, straight borders on a belt.

Are you using a strap cutter of some sort, or just trying with a straight edge and a knife?

2 hours ago, howlback said:

I have tried and tried and tried... Is it me? The knife? The leather? :wacko:

Anyway, just looking for advice on how to cut those long, straight borders on a belt.

Start with a guide line; use a pair of compass dividers or an adjustable creaser or even an adjustable stitching groover. Work slowly. Do the guide line before you bevel the edges. Use a thick straight edge to guide your knife in the prepared groove line, do a section at a time, eg 30-35cm, then the next but over lap the guide by about 6 or 7 cms each time

Well, I'm just having a hard time consistently executing a straight border. My first time, I cut a nice one with a cheap knife and Tandy border tool but I wasn't paying enough attention to really re-create what I did. Each time after that I've run into various issues. I was just looking for some guidelines (get it?) on how to get consistent results. 

• Sidenote: I did learn that I can hide those pesky "drag" marks along each side of the cut but running the smooth side of my modeling tool over top of them. I'm assuming they are from my knife not being sharp enough or my leather not being properly cased.
Edited by howlback

I use the border tool myself. I tend to sand the edge down to get a nice straight, smooth edge, but I cut the border before I bevel the outside edge to give the border tool a good 90-degree edge to rest against.

Go slow, and if possible set yourself up so that you're pulling the blade toward you rather than sideways and you'll be less likely to wander off the edge.

Morning,  I clamp a 5' 1x4, face down to my bench.  That makes a fence for the belt to rest against so it doesn't move around.  And, I go slow when cutting the border.

Hope this helps,  Seabee

I use a steel ruler and run my swivel knife down the edge - works great.  For longer pieces I have a 4 foot ruler clamped to the edge of my bench that holds the leather securely and provides a straight edge to follow, but have to be careful not to mark the leather.  Best to clamp the dry leather first, then wet the edge you will be cutting.

Gary

On 3/13/2018 at 5:57 PM, howlback said:
  • Sidenote: I did learn that I can hide those pesky "drag" marks along each side of the cut but running the smooth side of my modeling tool over top of them. I'm assuming they are from my knife not being sharp enough or my leather not being properly cased.

Blunt blade I think. Even if it feels sharp, give it a kiss with a stone or strop every little while. Its surprising how quickly leather can take the keenness off a blade