Sign in to follow this  
InfernoBestia

Good price on leather

Quick question for anyone who would want to put their 2 cents in. I did some shopping around and I managed to come across these prices. For a full 6-7oz tooling belly, or a full 4-5oz tooling goatskin, the cost is 21 dollars. Would you consider this a deal or not? I know springfield sells tooling leather for an average of 4-5 dollars per square foot, and tandy just tends to be expensive.

Edited by InfernoBestia

You can buy bellies direct from Wickett & Craig for 18.00 I believe. It will be nicer too.

And, 21.00 isn't bad.

12 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

You can buy bellies direct from Wickett & Craig for 18.00 I believe. It will be nicer too.

And, 21.00 isn't bad.

I suppose that extra 2 dollars would be my fee for the gas to go drive to the store and buy it immediately.

I dont mess with goathide much except for the time I made a wallet backing out of it. So 21 dollars is good for a whole hide? 

Edited by InfernoBestia

I haven't messed with goatskin so I'm not sure about the price on those. But 21.00 on a belly isn't bad. 

W&C is some of the nicest tooling leather you will find. Check out their website. Now that I'm thinking about it, their bellies may be 13.00.

35 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

I haven't messed with goatskin so I'm not sure about the price on those. But 21.00 on a belly isn't bad. 

W&C is some of the nicest tooling leather you will find. Check out their website. Now that I'm thinking about it, their bellies may be 13.00.

Yeah, they are, I just checked. Unfortunately the minimum order is 5. Good deal if I have 60 bucks to spend on that much leather at one time, probably wouldnt have to buy more for a while. Thanks for pointing them out

Just checked tandy, and it seems that with my military appreciation, the cost of bellies is only 22.50

I guess this 21 dollar deal I found would be a good alternative to anyone who is in need of some economy hides. At hobby lobby, they sell bellies for 35 bucks. All you have to do is whip out your phone, go to their website, and theres a 40 percent off any item in the store. Use it on the hide and watch that sucker drop. You can exploit it too by just leaving the store, waiting about 10 minutes,  and then rinse and repeat at another register. I've never been desperate enough to abuse a coupon like that, but it could be useful for someone on a budget with their leatherwork.

If anyone is in the Sacramento area, there is currently a manager special going on at tandy leather. Bellies are only 14 dollars. Best I've seen for getting single bellies. Be warned, I managed to snag most of the really good ones ;) 

Just picked up a 7/8oz double shoulder on sale for 44 dollars. I dont think ive ever seen a double shoulder that cheap before. It was just the standard run of the mill tandy leather, but at $3.40 a square foot i couldnt turn it down.