About a year ago my son and I discovered trad archery. I made arm guards and quivers for us, and the pals in our club recently expressed desire to purchase similar pieces from me.

This is what I came up with so far.

Comments, critique and advice welcome.

P1060116.JPG

P1060117.JPG

Very nice

Very nice and practical too! Anyone that has ever had the bow string hit them HARD on the forearm will understand the importance of having the arm guard:)

Sam:)

Edited by ComputerDoctor

1 hour ago, ComputerDoctor said:

Very nice and practical too! Anyone that has ever had the bow string hit them HARD on the forearm will understand the importance of having the arm guard:)

Sam:)

Amen to that!!  :wacko:

Very nice work!

I see that 2 of them use metal rings for the lacing and one only uses holes through the leather. 
Which do you think is the more comfortable and secure system?

Thank you all for the kind words!

Sam & Sheilajeanne:

I can't say exactly why, but since I switched to the thumbring technique I didn't hit my forearm with the bowstring anymore . I wear the arm guard merely because everybody else does, and for showing off my leatherwork. 

DJole:

Metal rings are more comfortable. The paracord pinches a little where it passes through simple holes. The cord stopper holds both kinds of guards securely in place.

My archery arm guard and leather finger tabs were the first leather work I ever did, back when I was 12 or 13 years old.  Both were made out of a pair of old leather calfskin gloves, For the tabs, I just cut the ends off the fingers, and for the arm guard, I sewed the palms together to get enough length, and attached it around my arm with elastic sewn to the leather. (You know, the sort of elastic used in waist bands and sleeves, not elastic bands!) I used to whack myself on the inside of my elbow, so the guard was full length, and the elastic above my elbow had a dome fastener in it that I snapped closed for a snug fit. 

All of it was hand-sewn with my mom's sewing needles and some button thread... :P A thimble came in VERY handy for pushing the needle through the leather!

I wonder if I still have them tucked away in a drawer somewhere... :D

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Sheilajeanne, to read about how your love affair with leather started, makes my fingers hurt!

And, yes, the string tends to hit exactly where the arm guard ends!

Leder, the pain in my fingers helped reduce the pain and bruising I got on my arm from that bowstring, so it was worth it in the end!  :lol:

(This is obviously NOT the arm guard I made, and yes, I'm a southpaw...)

Archer2.jpg

Edited by Sheilajeanne

For many, a change in technique can save your arm (and the fancy carving on your arm guard):

Hold your bow arm out straight, with the bow horizontal, parallel to the ground. Now bend you elbow just enough so you know it's bent and hold it there. Now rotate just your wrist to bring the bow to vertical.

Voila. Never smack your arm again.

Cyberwolf, it's been a long time since I've smacked my elbow with the string. I was just a beginner at the time I made this arm guard. My bow had about a 20 something draw weight. My current bow is 40 plus. That would be on VERY serious 'ouch' if it happened now!

I like the bracers.

I use eyelets on one side and hooks on the other - I find it easier to put on.

Most bows you just need the arm guard to keep your clothing out of the way, but if you shoot an english longbow the bracing height is about 5 inches, so you get string slap and that's why you need a nice thick leather bracer :-)

Edited by stormdevil

Sheilajeanne,

the picture shows that you are shooting a horsebow, so I'll direct my missionary zeal (:)) at you suggesting thumb release., which could entail another small leatherwork project: My first thumbring was a simple leather strip with a bulge for thumb protection and a tapered end which I threaded through a small hole on the other end. Because of the friction no closure was required.

Cyberwolfe,

that's a clever trick (starting out with the bow held horizontally), but needs more elbow room than there usually is indoors

Stormdevil,

ME TOO! ... Meaning that I was first thinking of hooks, but in the arts and crafts shop around the corner they had only dees. I'll have to order some (less shiny) hooks (and dees)from Tandy. I think that I'll also experiment a little with buttons and/or conchos.

Once you teach yourself the difference and see how it changes your arm's shape, you don't have to do the full twist to get it. I still wear the bracer anyway, I think it looks cool and sometimes I forget ;)

Plus it goes with the knuckle guard I wear when I shoot my English longbow with no arrow rest.

Leder, I no longer have that recurve bow. My husband gave it away to my nephew. :(

I now have a 'broomstick' wood laminated bow, made by Checkmate Archery (used to be in B.C., has since gone out of business.) No gewgaws or gimmicks - I don't even use a sight, and it would be a cold day in H*E*L*L before you'd catch me using something with pulleys and wheels on it!

chekmate_70in_50lb_strung_1.jpg

Edited by Sheilajeanne

On 3/18/2018 at 6:34 AM, Sheilajeanne said:

No gewgaws or gimmicks - I don't even use a sight, and it would be a cold day in H*E*L*L before you'd catch me using something with pulleys and wheels on it!

Fist Bump to my fellow purist :)

[fist bump back]  BTW, I have Robert Hardy's book on The Longbow. I just checked it out on Amazon, and it is out of print, and a good used copy is selling for a minimum of $143.00 Canadian!  :huh:  Won't be parting with mine anytime soon... 

They had just discovered the longbows and arrows from the Mary Rose at the time it came out. What a marvelous time capsule that ship was!

Edited by Sheilajeanne