Sign in to follow this  
Cubbie

Newbie here with some questions on sewing machines...

How's it goin' everyone! I'm a newbie here and just recently found this sight a couple weeks ago. I've always wanted to get into leather craft a few years back and just recently bought me some stamps! I'm mainly looking to make belts, knife sheaths and the occasional wallet. 

When it comes to sewing machines I am lost! What type of sewing machine do I need for these types of projects? anything that I can buy at the store and readily available? Or do the older/vintage machines do better for these types of projects?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Wallets require a smaller machine while belts and sheaths require one of the bigger machines.

That being said, you can look at a cowboy cb 341 or a 3200.

Both machines will handle up to a ½" of material. But the 3200 will handle larger thread for belts and sheaths, or even holsters. 

The 341 will handle up to 207 thread which, I believe, would be fine for belts and sheaths. But, if you want to make holsters I have read that you shouldn't use less than 277 thread.

All machines have a certain amount of range and a sweet spot that they operate in. No one machine will do it all.

If I had my way, I would have a 341 and a 4500 to cover anything I wanted to make. But, here I am still hand stitching everything. All of the info above has been only researched.

Other brands like Cobra and artisan have comprable machines. They, and the cowboys are clones of much more expensive machines. These are all built in China to specs set out by these dealers. Then they are inspected and adjusted by the dealers here in the States before they are shipped to the end user. They will last decades, if not longer. 

Cowboy and Cobra are well known here for their great service, before and after the sale. I have researched cowboy more because they have a dealership within driving distance to me. Shipping is expensive on these machines.

Hope this helps.

As Bikermutt pointed out, the machine you need is largely dictated by the things you want to sew.   But I'd suggest the first stop on your quest should be this sticky post on LWN.  It will answer many questions.

- Bill

Awesome thank you guys for the info! I was thinking of hand stitching the belts and wallets before I buy a machine. As I'm just starting out, I would like to learn how the art of hand stitching before jumping on a machine.

Any recommendations on thread size for belts and wallets?

6 hours ago, Cubbie said:

Awesome thank you guys for the info! I was thinking of hand stitching the belts and wallets before I buy a machine. As I'm just starting out, I would like to learn how the art of hand stitching before jumping on a machine.

.6mm with 3mm spacing will look good on wallets. Probably 1mm with as much spacing you can get on a belt (5 or 6mm). That's a lot of stitches.

11 hours ago, Cubbie said:

This a 5 foot belt I’m working on for a satchel. The stitch marking is 4mm and the thread is tiger .8mm.

This belt has taken me about 4 hours to sew.

F80A6950-C15C-4C29-BF2B-4EA5CCE7D577.jpeg