Hey guys i was looking on ebay at starting with using scrap leather since i don't have much after spending £150 on tools adn i was wondering is it okay to learn to pratice with scrap leather ?

57 minutes ago, leathermunchkin said:

Hey guys i was looking on ebay at starting with using scrap leather since i don't have much after spending £150 on tools adn i was wondering is it okay to learn to pratice with scrap leather ?

You bet. You can make all kinds of stuff from scrap. 

17 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

You bet. You can make all kinds of stuff from scrap. 

thank you :) i was just a little worried i don't wanna spend £40 on leather until i feel this is gonna be a fun little hobby and right for myself

Wot bikermutt says; but ask the seller for either more pictures or some ideas of the sizes of some pieces. Tandy was selling parts of bellies last November. They were real cheap. Then I saw them - I've thrown better and bigger more useful pieces in the 'free' box

I started out just like you, cheap stuff to practice, see if it was a "thing" for me. Then more practice, because I didn't want to spend serious money on crap work. Now, I've arrived a place where I want the additional quality that good leather provides. I've also replaced a lot of tools with better stuff. It makes a differences, but you really need to practice the basics with what you can afford.

Oh, and what Fredk just said. Tandy has some seriously nasty, overpriced "stuff". Search on this forum for leather sellers, you'll be amazed at the quality you can get for a better price than brand T.

Edited by alpha2

thank you guys i was surprised at the price of tandy leather haha. but wanted some cheap stuff to try out and make little fun things and build up my skills i have yet to learn to leather sew haha. but ill have a look on this forum in the sellers section :D, you guys are so helpful :D thank you :D

What country are you located in?

There are also folks on here that sell really nice scrap leathers, and some are darn near free:  pay for shipping.  Take a look in the for sale section!  Maybe someone there near the UK, if that is where you are at.

YinTx

Hi Leathermuchkin

I only started about 6 weeks ago and had to practice without spending a lot to learn the skills

What I did was search google for upholsterers in a 50 mile radius of my home and then emailed them and asked if they sold any scraps, one replied that if i came down to them they had some I could have for free but any really large bits I would have to pay

Went down and they gave me about 5 kilo for free, the smallest about A3 the largest about 1/3rd about A0 or larger(six square feet)

For veg tan shoulders I found a company that sells economy veg tan shoulders Email: sales@jwoodleathers.co.uk or www.jwoodleather.co.uk brought half shoulder in 2-2.4mm for £37.75 last week including vat and postage 2.50 ish a square foot and found nothing wrong with it for practice or making items or crafting

Good luck

Chris