Huntermetal

Difference between Adler 205 370 and 205 374

Hi. I just picked up an Adler 205-374 and can’t find much info on them. I do however see lots of info on the 370. Can anyone tell me what exactly are the differences? 

Thanks. 

7E82C226-5AF1-4CDB-A38F-EB65BC922106.png

The -374 has a smooth feed dog, like the Cowboy and Cobra 441 clone machines. The -370 has teeth on the feed dog, like the stock Juki 441.

Actually, the 205-374 preceded  the 205-370.  Adler came out with the 205-74 in 1985 when they introduced the machine.  They made a lot of changes in the first 6 months.  The new models were called 205-374.  Adding the 3 to the last part of the model number meant it was walking foot with alternating pressers.  When Durkopp bought Adler in the 1990's, the model number was changed to 205-370.  In essence, all these machines are the same.

glenn

13 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

Actually, the 205-374 preceded  the 205-370.  Adler came out with the 205-74 in 1985 when they introduced the machine.  They made a lot of changes in the first 6 months.  The new models were called 205-374.  Adding the 3 to the last part of the model number meant it was walking foot with alternating pressers.  When Durkopp bought Adler in the 1990's, the model number was changed to 205-370.  In essence, all these machines are the same.

glenn

Thank you shoepatcher. That’s exactly what I was looking for. 

Wiz, thank you too. I actually haven’t had a chance to thoroughly go through it yet. I’ll check out the feed dogs. 

I'm investigating the parts books now;

Part pdf Adler 205-370

Part pdf Adler 205-374

They have so many parts variations!

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

I hope someone reads this old post and can help me with my question. I can buy a 205-374 in decent shape for about $1200. I would like to have a heavy duty cylinder arm machine, that I also can use for edge binding. I read that the 374 does not have to hole in the cylinder arm to connect the moving binder to the shaft of the feed dogs, that the 470 version does have. Does this mean that this machine can not be used for edge binding?

I have a 205-374 that is not cut for the synchronized binder.   Some 205-374's could be, but not mine.  $1200 is a pretty good buy all the same though.   

You could probably use  a standard binder setup on it depending on your work.

@Rob2613

You might be able to hire an attachment company to make a suitable folder that will attach to the T-bar plate that the sliding edge guide attaches to. This assumes that the T-bar plate is present on the arm. If it isn't, you won't even have an edge guide on the machine, unless somebody installed a drop down guide assembly.

The Adler 205 series are long in the tooth by now. Parts may need to be ordered from Adler itself. Those parts are very expensive. Make sure you are getting a completely outfitted and working machine. Note, that there are clones of the Adler 205 machines that are made in China. Those companies may offer some of the the parts you may need, at a lower price.

@Wizkrafts: thank you for your fast reply! Based on your answer I guess I better wait for a 205-370 to be listed somewhere. Do you think a Pfaff 335 would be equally suited for handling heavy webbing and fabrics?                                         

I don't think the Pfaff 335 is what I'd call a heavy duty binder machine. Our member, @shoepatcher would know that better than me. But, if you need to sew heavy material and edge bind it, maybe look into a carpet binder walking foot machine.

Medium duty binder the 335-17 is.  May be able to use 138 thread but will have to do a little work on the machine.

glenn