So I dove in head first and purchased my first sewing machine, a Cowboy 4500 with all the bells and whistles.  Brought it home, set it up and was able to sew up a couple of projects I had on the bench without issue.  That is until I needed to sew a single action gun holster I had recently finished.  The previous projects, knife sheaths, and a couple of custom sunglass cases, were around 1/2" or less thick and ran under my presser/walking feet without issue when the arm was raised up.  Well, the gun holster is significantly thicker and will not fit under the feet when the arm is raised up and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it done.  I you-tubed it last night 'til 3am this morning trying to find a video about it and nothing.  I now can adjust tension, modify timing, mess with the bobbin, oil the thing, etc., etc.  I just want the feet to raise higher when I lift the arm up so I can get the thicker projects I do underneath them to start sewing.  Thought I was smarter than this but obviously not and now i am just damn frustrated.  Anybody out there that could help me I sure would appreciate it.  I did find the adjustment nut on the banana slot but that only lifted the center foot and not the outside ones.  I need to the whole assembly higher.

cowboy_4500.JPG

Edited by internetcowboy

The 4500 will do up to 7/8", is your project  below that?

yes i have attached a picture.  I have attached a picture.  Currently the feet only go up to 1/2" and the thickness on the holster in 5/8"  Can't figure out how to raise the feet assembly to at least 3/4" when I raise the arm.

cowboy_4500.JPG

That's not right, but it just occurred to me that when I was reading the manual for mine, it mentioned that the lever, and the foot pedal don't raise the feet the same distance. I don't recall which raises it higher, but I think it was the foot pedal. It hasn't up for me yet, so I don't remember!

I'll give the chain the on foot pedal a good pull really quick to see if that make a difference.  be right back.

Definitely the foot pedal ASSUMING THE CHAIN doesn't have a bunch of slack in it..

nope, maxed out.  gotta be an adjustment somewhere on this thing.

The first two pics are the foot pedal mechanism at rest, and fully deployed. How does it match your?

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2529.JPG

So mine did look very similar.  I just grabbed the bracket the chain is hooked to and pushed it down as hard as I could and it released and I was able to raise the foot up all the way now.  Still not sure what it was stuck on but now that it is released I think I can adjust the chain a bit to get it up there.  AWESOME!  Thanks!   Your last two pictures did it.  Mine were not going down that far.  Double and Triple checked it now and is smooth as silk.   Thank You AGAIN!

Gotta love pictures! Glad we could help.

Jeff

I dont think any of these come with turn buckle types to fine tune that chain.  Or my Cobra didnt anyway as some others I seen. 

I understand the frustration and glad your back to stitchin. 

Something I used in one of them quick moments was, some elastic. This was some 1/2” wide stuff from doing some repairs on a hunting blind. 

Anyway I took about 8” and put it through a couple links roughly 4” apart and carefully stitched the elastic together. Bam! Instant tensioner, just light enough to keep the chain straight. 

I rather like the idea of a staight adjustable rod there but havent had another issue as yet, so what the heck. 

Congrats on the new machine

Floyd

Hey Jeff,Switch the chain around end for end,it's catching on the big end & you want to tapered end pointing down.

Got it.  thanks!

Thanks, Bob! 

Done!

Oh, and Bob...it's Sunday! Take a day off, already!

Edited by alpha2

20 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Thanks, Bob! 

Done!

Oh, and Bob...it's Sunday! Take a day off, already!

Now,this is work writing to 2 Jeffs,Glad you got her fixed & alpha Jeff ,I'm just relaxing watching a movie,my Wife is giving me the evil eye while I'm typing better run.

Just now, CowboyBob said:

Edited by CowboyBob

The pictures also show the thread-path and I see that you looped it back under the thread-guide.  I don't think I have done this should I be?

5aafe388521fd_CB4500threading1.jpg.75deba02f577127b1566f24e929a1f92.jpg

I agree!

This is though how some videos mention. To my eyes all these 441 types I have noticed; the release lever that splits the tensioner contacts the thread. Sorry to anyone offended but reason my Cobra setup skips this recommendation. 

I think it may help in some way if thread is working its way out of the tensioner. So in this respect I can sure entertain a remedy to address the constant thread contact. 

Good day

Floyd

The best pic I've found on threading this machine, is from the Juki 441 manual. It shows it this way, so as the 4500 is a 441 clone, I figured this is the way to do it. I can't tell the difference in this way or the other way. The other "manual" pics are pretty indistinct. 

This way will slightly increase the thread tension, so you might want to back off a half turn on the adjustment. 

8 hours ago, Yetibelle said:

The pictures also show the thread-path and I see that you looped it back under the thread-guide.  I don't think I have done this should I be?

5aafe388521fd_CB4500threading1.jpg.75deba02f577127b1566f24e929a1f92.jpg

That's how I thread my Artisan 441 clone. (and how the manual shows it)

18 hours ago, brmax said:

I agree!

This is though how some videos mention. To my eyes all these 441 types I have noticed; the release lever that splits the tensioner contacts the thread. Sorry to anyone offended but reason my Cobra setup skips this recommendation. 

I think it may help in some way if thread is working its way out of the tensioner. So in this respect I can sure entertain a remedy to address the constant thread contact. 

Good day

Floyd

I agree with Floyd and have run it straight down for the same reason and have not had any problems.

11 hours ago, Sonydaze said:

That's how I thread my Artisan 441 clone. (and how the manual shows it)

The reason behind threading that way is once in a while the thread can work it's way out of the tension while sewing,BUT then when threading like this it isn't lined up with the next tension.SO what we have people do is run the thread through 2 of the holes in the spool pin for alittle tension before the thread gets to this one & it seems to work too.

My solution is to lower the steel loop thread guide that sits just before the top tension disks. There is a small amount of slack in the mounting bracket, which can be used to lower it for a sharper angle to the disks.