DisplacedLouisianaGuy

Greetings from Louisiana

New member here! Been lurking around for a few months, and figured it was time to make an account.

I've been doing leatherwork for about 5 years, but got serious about it as a hobby about 2 years ago. I haven't made the jump to full fledged business, but it's starting to pay for itself and provide me with a little bit of excess to throw in the "new gun fund".

I enjoy the hell out of the hobby, and really like all the diverse topics and interest that are represented on this forum. 

20180318_163957.jpg

Welcome to the forum. You have a good looking holster there! I really like your carving style. Its always good to add to the new gun fund!:gun:

38 minutes ago, DisplacedLouisianaGuy said:

New member here! Been lurking around for a few months, and figured it was time to make an account.

I've been doing leatherwork for about 5 years, but got serious about it as a hobby about 2 years ago. I haven't made the jump to full fledged business, but it's starting to pay for itself and provide me with a little bit of excess to throw in the "new gun fund".

I enjoy the hell out of the hobby, and really like all the diverse topics and interest that are represented on this forum. 

Welcome and nice job on the holster!  I’m curious about the cupped piece at the bottom of the holster - don’t recall seeing this style before.  What’s the purpose?

Gary

JD62- Thanks! I learned a lot by browsing through Will Ghormley's work. Looking at his stuff is what got me interested in Sheridan Carving.

Gary PL- the cup is a wax bullet deflector... odd, I know. There is a group called the Cowboy Fast Draw Association, that does fast draw shooting, but the bullets are wax and the charge is just a shotgun primer- no actual propellant. Apparently they get to really cranking on those 6-shooters (the serious competitors all draw, cock, shoot, and hit the target in less than half a second) and sometimes send a wax bullet down the leg. Not fatal, but embarrassing, and it can leave a bad blood bruise.

Anyway, most of the companies that make holsters for their game have metal bullet deflectors. I got to playing around to see if I could make one entirely out of leather that can stand up to repeated wax bullets being fired into it. The cup you see is the final iteration of that design. Thanks for asking!

That is cool, really cool how you worked the leather cup into it vs metal.  

Thanks, koreric! I actually owe it to a guy that goes by Moon in CFDA. He commissioned a fast draw rig and wanted a bullet deflector. I never made one until he asked, and I'm no metal worker. So I figured I needed to figure out how to make an effective one out of leather. The customer is always right, ya know? If it wasn't for him asking about 10 months ago, I never would have sat down to figure it out. Because of him, I've sold 8 or 10 rigs with that feature, now.

That is some nice work. Where are you displaced to?

I'm in the Shreveport area.

Bikermutt- Thanks! The handle is a long story, but I'm actually no longer displaced. Been going by that handle for about 10 years now on various internet forums though, after my wife dragged me to Florida in 2008. 

Originally from Natchitoches, spent several years in Alexandria. Currently in Baton Rouge. Family is still all around the Cenla area. I get up to Alexandria about once a month.

41 minutes ago, DisplacedLouisianaGuy said:

Bikermutt- Thanks! The handle is a long story, but I'm actually no longer displaced. Been going by that handle for about 10 years now on various internet forums though, after my wife dragged me to Florida in 2008. 

Originally from Natchitoches, spent several years in Alexandria. Currently in Baton Rouge. Family is still all around the Cenla area. I get up to Alexandria about once a month.

Cool, I still miss Texas. I moved here in '08. I tell people, "I have the only woman worth leaving Texas for".