JJN

Bernina Chandler 217 Industrial Zig-Zag Sewing Machine

This is a Swiss made Bernina Chandler 217 industrial zig-zag sewing machine with power stand/table, motor, bobbin winder, spool stand and accessories.

This machine has the optional decorative stitch cam box attachment on the back side. With the cam attachment, this machine can sew special stitches in multiple layers of heavy material. This machine comes with 2 cams, a serpentine zig-zag stitch and a 3-stitch zig-zag that is very popular with sail makers. Over 20 different cam styles are available online at AllCraft.
This machine comes with three feet, ten bobbins, one bobbin case, two cams and a dual-needle holder. The machine is mounted in its original industrial power stand with a bobbin winder and spool stand. It has a newer Consew 550w servo motor powering the machine.

The machine is in great working condition with very little evidence of wear. Please look at the photos provided and go the the YouTube link below to see a video I made of this machine in action.

Asking $1600. Local pick up.

https://youtu.be/j3XXoFs9bVk

217-01.jpg

217-07.jpg

217-09.jpg

217-10.jpg

217-11.jpg

Hi,

I am interested to buy the accessories i.e all the feet, bobbins and bibbon case and double needle. 

How much please for these items?

Thanks

AM

Aaron,

The accessories go with the machine. It would be kind of crazy to separate them as it would make the machine unusable. Try ebay for the parts you are looking for.

John

Hello John,

Do you know where the  3-stitch zig-zag cam came from?

its hard to find one,

Do you still have it and is there a change you would be so kind to make a scan or something for me (so i can make one myself)

kind regards,

michiel

On 11/4/2021 at 3:21 PM, Michiel said:

its hard to find one,

Hi Michiel,

I bought the cam about 4 years ago from a seller I found online. It appeared they were an older couple and losing interest in selling them. They had all the cams reproduced in white delrin. The cams were $22.50 each. I cannot find the site now. Maybe I can find the receipt in my records.

I have to go to my storage to get the cam. I will scan it and make some precise measurements for you. Give me a couple days to get it.

John

Hi John,

thanks for your reply

that would be verry kind…

regards, michiel

On 11/4/2021 at 6:21 PM, Michiel said:

Hello John,

its hard to find one,

Do you still have it and is there a change you would be so kind to make a scan or something for me (so i can make one myself)

kind regards,

michiel

It was an ebay seller for the 217 plastic ones.  I have the double throw and triple throw versions for the 217 in delerin and the full set of decorative stitches in original metal. Just got a double throw metal original cam for 217n. My buying history doesn't go back far enough to find ebay seller but they haven't listed them for 3 or 4 years. I lost my double throw delerin cam and contacted them directly for another one.  But just don't have the contact.

Thanks,

i realised they are a good candidate for 3D printing

i think i should be able to draw them in a cad program 

I finally got the two cams I have from storage. The white delrin cam is a reproduction triple zig-zag cam. It looks like it was laser cut. The other cam is an original Berinia 217 cam #29 that make a scallop-like satin stitch. The dimensions on the triple zz cam should be pretty accurate. No guarantees! The delrin cam is .064" thick. The metal cam is .060" thick.

scallop-cam.jpg

triple-zz-cam.jpg

Thank you John,

this will help improving my self made cam

kind regards michiel

ps: for who is interested :

my machine has the 6 mm  stitch but i figured out with a new cam and some small adjustments it should be possible to make 12 mm with 2 or 3 step stitches (i need to replace the feed dogs, needle plate and foot but they are not so expensive since global makes them)

i took a better look to your photos:

your cam is better than de photos i used till now

This really helps, thanks again for your efford!