My latest piece a fender bib for my Roadking. Overall, I'm happy with it but can always use advice.

Fenderbib3.jpg

Fenderbib2.jpg

Edited by panku82

I think it looks great man, and the lacing is really a good addition on a bike methinks. After getting it out in the sun for a bit too will age that leather up well too.

2 hours ago, panku82 said:

My latest piece a fender bib for my Roadking. Overall, I'm happy with it but can always use advice.

Fenderbib3.jpg

Fenderbib2.jpg

Looks awesome!  I know from doing mine, that lacing is a labor of love, I could never sell them as the labor on the stitching alone would be ridiculous.  Only advice i have is a question, did you line the bottom with anything to prevent rubbing against the paint?  I cheaped out on mine and put a soft felt under it, but wish i would've done something more luxurious like a really short wool liner or similar.

the way I made it was 

25 minutes ago, koreric75 said:

, did you line the bottom with anything to prevent rubbing against the paint?  

I tried something new with this one. I used Kydex and formed it to my fender then glued the top piece to that and used a pig skin lining on the back. made the lace out of 1/2 veg tanned leather cut at 1/8th in.

And Thanks Battlemunky much appreciated!

Edited by panku82

That's a great idea, i have a piece that extends past the rear bolt hole and it kind of just sticks straight out unless it gets rained on...lol.  the kydex molded backing would definitely fix that right up.

yeah that is exactly why I came up with that idea. that and the edges tend to curl after awhile so I'm trying to prevent that as well. I really like the result I got I used.028 thickness and got it off of Amazon. Here's a link to it ,https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BR38ZS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The nice thing about covering it front and back is that your Kydex doesn't have to be pretty :)

Edited by panku82

Thanks Dave I appreciate it.  The lacing is a Round Braid or Mexican Basketweave. It's called both in the Tandy guide to lacing.

i love it :D its beautiful and stunning how long did the carving take you ? :D

Ty leathermunchkin, the carving itself took most of a day. But I kinda suck at drawing so it took me longer to come up with the design than to carve it ;) 

if ur drawing sucks then all i can say is its impressive because i have seen so much worse you should be proud of what you have done here :)

Ty for the kind words and glad you like my work.  Like you, I'm just learning and I promise, I learn something new everyday! I just started learning a little before you did. 

Edited by panku82

Looks awesome! I would keep a close eye on the underside and make sure that Kydex doesn't rub it's way through the lining and noodle up your paint. I'm curious about your statement of the edges curling without the kydex. I've never had that issue and I've made a boat load over fender panels over the years. I have a couple spare fenders in the shop and I wet form the panel to the fender in between tooling and dying. I just wet it down and use pallet wrap plastic to wrap it to the fender and let it dry...dye, seal...ride.

I've not tried forming them yet as I don't have a extra fender (yet, I work at a dealership so maybe I'll get one from the scrap) but I've seen a few here in TX that have curled up ... I presume it's from the heat and drying it out. They obviously weren't kept conditioned properly as well.  Ty for the tips  Mark842.

On 4/3/2019 at 3:11 PM, art0565 said:

That looks awesome, I like the idea of kydex, I've never worked with it, how did you form it to the fender?

Ty for the compliment. I put painters tape on the fender then a cloth over that to protect the paint. Remember the Kydex will need gaps cut into it so it can form more easily with a smoother finish. Then I use a heat gun and wear gloves to help form it by hand w/o getting burned too many times anyway O.o