I’ve just began research on the risks of spraying leather dyes and finishes as I really like the results I’ve been getting. I started this search for two reasons, my health and the environment. I have been researching the advantages/disadvantages of spraying standard solvent-based dyes, low-voc solvent-based dyes and low-voc water-based dyes. I eventually want to continue the research on into the different finishes that are available but I figured dyes we’re a good place to start.

Recently, I’ve been experienting with different types of dyes in order to find alternatives. My way of thinking (which I am sure is not the standard way of thinking) is that if I can achieve the same results with something that is less harmful to myself and my surroundings than I would much rather pursue that as an option, even if it means that there are potential drawbacks (i.e. more expensive, takes longer to dry). I can share what I find on this thread but I wanted to start a discussion in hopes that there might be some likeminded leather crafters out there who share a similar philosophy and have some information to add to the conversation.

Proper breathing protection and ventilation will go a long way to protect you. 

I don't have advice on all the different types of dyes and which are less harmful to the environment than others.

I will say this, though, I doubt the amount of dye you airbrush in your entire lifetime will have a drops worth of effect on the local environment. The many painting contractors in your area probably sprayed more laquer today then you ever will thru that airbrush.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking trying to do your part, but just providing some alternative perspective.

I use the best respirator from Lowes with the best (smallest particulate) filters. Smells don't get through it so I figured the other parts don't either. Hopefully. Plus I'm out in my shed with a fan in each window, one pulling in fresh and the other blowing out not fresh.

Please share what you find. Not killing yourself slowly with chemicals is always interesting.

Great point Mutt. You do use VERY little when you airbrush.

Use filter cartridges designed/listed for organic chemicals on your respirator.  If you start to smell the chemicals, it is time to change the cartridges.  When not in use, cap the cartridges tightly to keep the adsorbent being used up by the ambient air.

Tom

Protip^^^^^

Those SDS sheets can really throw you for a loop. Especially for a reader like me who had no idea what all the numbers and symbols meant, haha! After some breif research, I was able to get a better grasp on things. One of the more interesting topics to note when deep diving on this subject are the advantages/disadvantages of spraying products with VOCs vs their "low-VOC" counter parts.

After speaking to some folks in the spray booth manufacturing industry, it's pretty typical of the low-VOC counterparts to be less efficient which at times can result in the need for more spraying or taking longer to dry etc. What I thought was interesting was that if the product has 5x less VOC content, but you need to spray on 5x the amount to get the same results as your standard dye than what good are you doing??? If the same amount of VOCs are polluting the atmosphere, you're really only hurting your wallet because spraying more = needing to buy more product to spray sooner. Or as @bikermutt07 pointed out, Car manufacturers, who spray more in a day than I'll spray in a lifetime, are having to invest in drying systems for the low-voc products in order to keep their production time lower = more energy consumption BLAH BLAH BLAH... Lucky for me, I don't even spray enough to require a permit. The whole thing is a real conundrum.

There are some local laws to note when setting up a spray booth with an exhaust system. Especially when you're spraying flammable materials. I will share once I gather a bit more information. 

Edited by howlback

I will just throw this comment out for your general information, not to get a war going or anything like that.  Take what you wish from it especially for spraying and good ventilation.

I had a discussion with a renowned wood worker / finishing personality a few years ago.  The discussion started of with safe use of acetone in paints, etc. where fast drying time is needed.  He was of the opinion that acetone was completely safe since it wasn't regulated by the EPA.  The EPA has their definition for VOCs which doesn't conform to the chemical aspects and definitions.  He quoted from some EPA literature indicating that acetone is not a VOC.  The reason the EPA doesn't count acetone as a VOC is because it doesn't contribute to certain types of pollution and smog.  However, it is an organic chemical, and is quite volatile as you note from from its smell and how fast it evaporates.  

Just because acetone is not regulated  by the EPA, doesn't mean it is safe to breathe. Continuous exposure to acetone is certainly not good for your health or the environment.  Be careful with its usage and stay healthy.

Tom

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

He was of the opinion that acetone was completely safe since it wasn't regulated by the EPA

Just show him the MSDS (or SDS as they are now known).  

He could retain his opinion, or decide that renal disease, aspiration pneumonia, etc.  resulting from exposure doesn't sound fun, or safe.

YinTx