Foam liner drying at one end (weighted to dry in a curve through 90 degrees). The rest looks a little hodge-podge at the moment. Decided to try strengthening the croc with silk organza (had some laying around), then wanted a bit more support through what will be the bottom curve of the clutch, so added some fine cotton fabric. 

The green plastic piece is a template I made to mark out the strap slots a little more precisely. Using here to draw the slots on the wrong side so that I don’t overlap them with any liners or stiffeners. 

09FE6692-BAB6-4B7B-968C-114BBBF6E6D8.jpeg

All looking great so far. Good thinking on the drawer liner ...I think. Is that the rubbery stuff that has holes through it? Love the edge coat idea.:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, RockyAussie said:

All looking great so far. Good thinking on the drawer liner ...I think. Is that the rubbery stuff that has holes through it? Love the edge coat idea.:thumbsup:

Thanks! I remember that stuff lol! Great for caravans :) . This is a little different; will post a better pic in am; it’s about 1.5mm thick, I think closed cell, smooth, with no holes and a super faint grid impression on both sides. 

Ha! Got that idea from someone I know....:whistle:

Here’s a pic of the liner, called “Easy Liner”, from duckbrand.com (https://www.duckbrand.com/products/shelf-liner-bath/non-adhesive-shelf-liner/white-12-in-x-7-ft). 

Also another shot of the interior, with the foam attached. Making this up as I go along, but wanted to leave the bottom rolled edge more flexible and add some body to the front and back panels. 

61A2A08A-C5FF-4756-9985-6EB57701785D.jpeg

36CB5D55-5A80-48DA-ADDC-3568B84D89D9.jpeg

Edited by motocouture

Thanks for that @motocouture .Don't know if that is available in Oz but I will check it out.

Making progress! Edged the straps, added the strap hardware, and reinforced the front flap (with kitchen mat) before adding the post fastener. 

0776FBD5-3E60-4C13-893C-ADDF2F5988C1.jpeg

A234F2C7-26C3-4C5A-AF48-825E1E561A78.jpeg

03EF404C-1978-4E11-A90E-0FFACDFD9160.jpeg

Beautiful work @motocouture ! looking forward to seeing more of your work and the finished piece!

14 hours ago, SonderingSusan said:

Beautiful work @motocouture ! looking forward to seeing more of your work and the finished piece!

Thank you so much! Unfortunately, work has been interfering with my bench time sigh... :huh:

10 hours ago, Joseph1836 said:

We're did you get the croc.  

I bought the croc from a fellow forum member.  It’s originally from the American Tanning Company (AMTAN USA on Instagram); they do have some great deals occasionally on leftover hides / end of runs etc.

Another couple of shots.  Stitched the inner pocket in, which I was procrastinating on, since stitching floppy calf leather to floppy calf leather is always fun :rolleyes:.

Second pic is glueing in the liner, after first stitching on the straps at the back. I left the clutch in a rolled up position for a while, to gently start shaping the outer croc, then heeded the wise words of @RockyAussie, who suggested glueing in the liner at a 90 degree bend to reduce wrinkling on the inside when it’s finally assembled. 

I used the pins to mark the corners of the liner, and to help key the two layers as I glued. The pins are also pushed through into a sewing ham underneath, which helps stops everything wriggling around.

0BE00C70-5685-4C04-B6BD-D605FEBB1475.jpeg

93E73194-0C67-430E-9371-D7B7E70D3BB4.jpeg

Edited by motocouture

Ooooooo it's gonna be a bute.

It’s all coming together nicely and beautiful work as always. Stitching looks great too.

Really nice that you share all the process with us! Also this is such a nice piece you put together, I wish I was able to produce such good and clean work. One question came to my mind that I was not able to see from the pictures: How did you do the edges of e.g. the gussets? I do not mean the edges you painted but the area close to the border where the croc meets the edge. It almost looks like you turned the lining underneath the croc... Or did you paint over the edge to make the border that dark on the front side? Hope that doesn't sound too silly...

22 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Ooooooo it's gonna be a bute.

Thanks mate! Fingers crossed!!

19 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

It’s all coming together nicely and beautiful work as always. Stitching looks great too.

Thank you so much, it’s nice to get back to it after having been on the road. 

17 hours ago, charon said:

Really nice that you share all the process with us! Also this is such a nice piece you put together, I wish I was able to produce such good and clean work. One question came to my mind that I was not able to see from the pictures: How did you do the edges of e.g. the gussets? I do not mean the edges you painted but the area close to the border where the croc meets the edge. It almost looks like you turned the lining underneath the croc... Or did you paint over the edge to make the border that dark on the front side? Hope that doesn't sound too silly...

My pleasure! I always feel like I gain more here than I could possibly give back, so I try where I can :rolleyes:

Great question, and makes perfect sense. I’ve attached another pic below which might help. The border is just extra lining, which I trim off after everything is glued in.  That way I’m not struggling to line up edges as I go. This time, I took a little extra time though to keep the excess lining the same width all the way around, and draw in the actual outline, so that the pocket placement ended up right on the inside. 

AEEEE89E-447A-4DB0-8D3D-C5A1C8948E2B.jpeg

Thank you for your explanation :-) The question came to my mind when looking at your picture of the (finished) gussets. There is a crease mark on it and from that crease mark to the edge the leather is black (on that picture with that lovely edge paint this applies also to the section where there is no edge paint yet). So, that is also "lining excess" that you left there intentionally or how did you achieve that dark border? Sorry for the extra question but that looks so nice, I have to know how it's done. 

13 hours ago, charon said:

Thank you for your explanation :-) The question came to my mind when looking at your picture of the (finished) gussets. There is a crease mark on it and from that crease mark to the edge the leather is black (on that picture with that lovely edge paint this applies also to the section where there is no edge paint yet). So, that is also "lining excess" that you left there intentionally or how did you achieve that dark border? Sorry for the extra question but that looks so nice, I have to know how it's done. 

Ah ok! My apologies! I think that is from unintentionally being a little too slow with my heated edge creaser, which left the edge black. It may also have to do with the angle I held the creaser at. Good news is, it didn’t seem to damage the edge at all!

Next time do it intentionally and call it special technique :-) I totally like the look it gives.

Edited by charon

On 4/18/2018 at 4:54 AM, charon said:

Next time do it intentionally and call it special technique :-) I totally like the look it gives.

I like that strategy!

So, getting close to the end now! Made some good progress last day or so, on edging the straps and stitching in the gussets. 

Using a slightly different approach on the gussets this time; I’m making the stitching holes on both the main body and the gusset (using my KS irons) the whole way around. I designed the gusset so that the stitching line is (theoretically) the exact same length as the stitching line on the main body. I made the stitch holes on the gusset pieces from the inside, to keep the slant aligned. Then, I just lined up the pieces and stitched, no glue.

Started on the straight stretches on both sides so that I could hold the piece in the stitching pony for as much as possible before folding around the rest of the gussets. 

4B632F00-4990-4045-9DF0-A4B865D2FE1F.jpeg

83D09266-9F42-48F4-9743-37821441597B.jpeg

540A7687-3338-4E42-90C4-B74053A622F2.jpeg

07CFE67B-B5F6-4FD0-9BC4-3663BF156A5C.jpeg

Edited by motocouture

18 hours ago, motocouture said:

So, getting close to the end now! Made some good progress last day or so, on edging the straps and stitching in the gussets. 

Using a slightly different approach on the gussets this time; I’m making the stitching holes on both the main body and the gusset (using my KS irons) the whole way around. I designed the gusset so that the stitching line is (theoretically) the exact same length as the stitching line on the main body. I made the stitch holes on the gusset pieces from the inside, to keep the slant aligned. Then, I just lined up the pieces and stitched, no glue.

Started on the straight stretches on both sides so that I could hold the piece in the stitching pony for as much as possible before folding around the rest of the gussets. 

4B632F00-4990-4045-9DF0-A4B865D2FE1F.jpeg

83D09266-9F42-48F4-9743-37821441597B.jpeg

540A7687-3338-4E42-90C4-B74053A622F2.jpeg

07CFE67B-B5F6-4FD0-9BC4-3663BF156A5C.jpeg

Is that your pattern. If so have thought about selling it PDF file. 

It’s turning out really nice! Lovely work.

I bought a set of inverse stitching chisels so as I could line up pieces like you and they work very well. 

5 hours ago, Joseph1836 said:

Is that your pattern. If so have thought about selling it PDF file. 

Yes, it is, drafted it from scratch.  I hadn’t, but if there’s appetite for it, would be willing to give it a shot!

4 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

It’s turning out really nice! Lovely work.

I bought a set of inverse stitching chisels so as I could line up pieces like you and they work very well. 

Thank you so much! I’m really enjoying working with the croc. Needs a little more TLC, but works up beautifully.

Been thinking about the inverse chisels, definitely on my wish list...

Here’s a shot of the gusset being stitched, using a few needles to line up the stitching holes. I also dampened the bottom of gusset and the bend in the main body, and shaped both a little to help ease the leather through the curve. 

7F473A56-0314-4E25-8BCF-12976AE74495.jpeg