Sign in to follow this  
wolvenstien

Want tp make Plastic Templates

Anyone know how to make a "craftaid" plastic template? Or if Tandy/Craftool would make one special for you within a reasonable cost?

TY

Jeff Mosby at www.greyghostgraphics.com can do that for you. His price is $35 and up. Don't know how that compares to something similar though. I've had him make a couple of maker's stamps for me and I'm very satisfied with those.

Jeff Mosby at www.greyghostgraphics.com can do that for you. His price is $35 and up. Don't know how that compares to something similar though. I've had him make a couple of maker's stamps for me and I'm very satisfied with those.

I have not purchased any of Jeffs templates but I have seen them at the show in Sheridan and they look really cool and I think that they would work great for a person that wanted to do a small production run type of project.

Clay M.

Thanks guys... I shot him an email. Will see what he says....

Verlane once mentioned on the other list that she used a kind of plastic to make craftaids.

Something like you trace the pattern ( mirror image ) on the plastic, go over the lines with a vibrating tool ( engraver? ), the 'lines' will pop up and you got yourself a craftaid. Can't remember the name of that plastic, maybe someone can ask her again.

B.

Thanks guys... I shot him an email. Will see what he says....
Edited by Brandon

Thanks Brandon, I shot the guy Clay and KMan mantioned above an email asking about a quote for a template and then sent him a second and still no response....

Thanks Brandon, I shot the guy Clay and KMan mantioned above an email asking about a quote for a template and then sent him a second and still no response....

I am pretty sure that Jeff at Grey Ghost Graphics has been away from his shop for several days. He had a gig in NC and possibly to teach a class while there also. I have a few of his templets and a makers stamp by him that I love.

Anne

The plastic that Verlane uses is LDPE. Which stands for either, "low density poly ethelene" or "low density poly eurathane" can't remember which just at the moment. Verlane kindly gave me a sample of it. It works realy great! Just place it over a drawing (mirror imaged) of your patern and then engrave the lines with an oscillating engraver (not a rotary engraver). These engravers are less than $20 at hardware store. Scourcing the plastic can be a bit tricky. It is used by the people who make prosthetics. So find a medical supply company. I've been told that you can also heat it with a hair dryer and then shape/mould it around the swell of a saddle fork for transfering tooling paterns onto swell covers. Have not actualy tried that yet, but given time I will.

regards

DAM

McMaster Carr carries LDPE, a 100' by 36" roll of .004 transparent film is just over $14.00

I don't know how thick it needs to be for Verlane's technique to work, but it looks like it could be very cost effective.

http://www.mcmaster.com/