Bodra

Handmade leather tools

Hi guys, just wanted to brag a little bit about my recent project :) Since I am new in leatherworking and it is kinda of expensive hoby after purchesing threads, pricking irons, hole punches, glue, cutting mat etc etc etc (  you know list goes on and on and on ) I decided to make some tools that looks easy to make and are quite expensive to buy online.

I started project by drawing on a piece of paper templates. I drew templates by looking of images on google and adjusting what i think would work for me. Cutting was done with power tools and other work with hand tools. Steel used in project was old saw blade. Tools are shaving sharp and i was hitting wood with round knife like you would with an axe and it does hold edge quite decent. I quenched them and tempered. Sorry i dont have more pictures, i dont have a habbit of taking photos this is all I have. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

https://ibb.co/f4qw9c

https://ibb.co/mM9pUc

https://ibb.co/g5syNx

https://ibb.co/cepTNx

Edited by Northmount
Fixed URLs

I am amazed at your work. These look great. 

Since linked images tend to "unlink" over time, I've created a photo collage with your images so they can stay embedded here for all to see. They really are inspiring.

Making-Handmade-Tools.jpg

Nice work. I must have a go at that also.

I notice you beveled the small knife on the left side and the skiving knife on the right side... I bought a cutting knife with it sharpened on the left side and while it was very well made it tends to cut away from me when I’m trying to stay on a line. Have you noticed anything like that with yours?

Thanks for kind words guys, really appreciate it. This is my first metalworking project and I learned A LOT making those. I have in plan making one more leather cutting tool and i think it will turn much better than these two ( just recieved today by mail buffing wheel and buffing compounds so they will have much better finish ;) ) so stay tuned. But overall, the only important thing is that they perform good and since ive made them for myself they dont need to be perfect, they are not going for sale :) Next time I will do better job documenting steps in production so guys can see how simple it is and make something similar.

As for bevels, skiving knife is chisel type grind ( single bevel ), head knife  is convex grind and small knife is compound grind.

knife_edges.jpg.e5e2e5e5199e787c3b64b039f0f610b7.jpg

Edited by Bodra

1 hour ago, Bodra said:

Thanks for kind words guys, really appreciate it. This is my first metalworking project and I learned A LOT making those. I have in plan making one more leather cutting tool and i think it will turn much better than these two ( just recieved today by mail buffing wheel and buffing compounds so they will have much better finish ;) ) so stay tuned. But overall, the only important thing is that they perform good and since ive made them for myself they dont need to be perfect, they are not going for sale :) Next time I will do better job documenting steps in production so guys can see how simple it is and make something similar.

As for bevels, skiving knife is chisel type grind ( single bevel ), head knife  is convex grind and small knife is compound grind.

knife_edges.jpg.e5e2e5e5199e787c3b64b039f0f610b7.jpg

It will be great to see all the stages. I think a lot of leather workers will be interested.Thanks.

Looks like you made them out of a carbide tipped masonry blade. Those are made of pretty soft steel as carbide is the only thing which comes in contact with brick or tiles this works with. So I am sorry to rain on your parade, but you may be in for frequent re-sharpening and very frequent stroping. I thought that like when I was a kid some 30+ years ago, I could use saw blades for knife blades but alas, everything carbide tipped is soft. Still have all-steel blades stashed for this purpose and that's awesome hard steel of 1075 or similar variety.

1 hour ago, DrmCa said:

Looks like you made them out of a carbide tipped masonry blade. Those are made of pretty soft steel as carbide is the only thing which comes in contact with brick or tiles this works with. So I am sorry to rain on your parade, but you may be in for frequent re-sharpening and very frequent stroping. I thought that like when I was a kid some 30+ years ago, I could use saw blades for knife blades but alas, everything carbide tipped is soft. Still have all-steel blades stashed for this purpose and that's awesome hard steel of 1075 or similar variety.

I am aware steel is crap and since that was my first time working with metal I didnt expect how project would turn up and will i have everything what it takes to finish it ( I was mostly worried with heat treating ) Since ive learned a lot just making those when i will have more time i think I will invest in some proper tool steel like O1 or 1095 and make better quality skiving knifes ( one with straight edge and one with curved edge ) cuz it is and it will be most used tool and i want it to be resistant and hold sharp edge....although after few strokes on strop the edge comes shaving sharp every time.

Even if the steel is a little soft and will need touching up more often you did a great job.  Use them with pride and your next ones will be even better.

Rodney

Ah, well, it works as a learning material of course.

You might want to look at old lawnmower blades for your future projects. They are not wide enough for a head knife the way they are, but if you have access to welding, that could be a non-issue. Those blades are still made of good still for the most part, except for the cheapest throw-away lawnmowers. Contractor-grade mowers have excellent steel in their blades still ;)

I used this for some of my bookbinding blades a while back

Sandviik HSS Power Hacksaw Blade 700x50x2.5mm

I ground the teeth, and the basic shapes then sharpened carefully

I am using an old hacksaw blade, much smaller, that I made in 1987 to fit my clicker handle, when working in a factory, only ever strop it, haven't had to stone it or rouge it for years. It was one of the old guys there that showed me how.

Best

Harry