naklumb

Using colored sharpie markers to color the leather

Hi all, 

I am wanting to color a few things but I am new to using the dyes and am not very good at it. I am wondering if anybody has had any luck using colored sharpie markers. I'm thinking the color should penetrate the leather but not sure how it would hold up and if it smears when applying something like super sheen.

Thanks,

Nick

Sharpies and similar are grand for colouring edges, but not good on the surface. The ink spreads, unless you contain it by cuts. Once into the leather it continues to bleed out. I'd recommend using acrylic paints

here is a checkbook cover that I stamped with the Tandy 3d stamps and all was painted with sharpie pens.

let dry overnight and sealed with a clear finish. no bleed and will not rub off. 

flower standard checkbook.JPG

That is excellent

Thanks for your replies. Cowhide, that checkbook cover looks great!  I think I need to get some scraps and do a few trial runs. Hopefully they turn out as nice as yours did.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't sharpie ink the same as what's in spirit dyes?