SonderingSusan

occasional loose stitch when sewing

Hey everyone , 

i am attempting to sew a seam with a right sided foot ( if that makes sense) so the seam will be right up to the needle of the foot. 

Its not the usual foot i use for such  job, and after hours of tinkering with everything i am finding that there is STILL about one kind of loose stitch every 30 stitiches.

I have included an image of it below. 

All / any suggestions about what I'm doing wrong or what i should check would be very appreciated. 

thanks in advance!

IMG_3216.jpg

Edited by SonderingSusan

I'm interested in this too because my fabric sewing machine is doing it, except once every 10 stitches. 

what machine are you using as well as needle/thread size.  I'm no expert but if i offer up something maybe one of the SME's will chime in and correct me...lol.  With the attached picture it's hard to tell, but perhaps if this is the top side, you have a bobbin that wasn't wound consistently, or had a loose wind?  The bobbin tension should resolve that though...hmmmm, 30 stitches at whatever stitch length you're using, maybe it's a spot where sewing a straight line, you move your hand position and maybe push a little or pull a little more?  Again apologies, as I could only guess, how does the bottom side of the stitch look? did it miss//skip there as well?

12 hours ago, koreric75 said:

what machine are you using as well as needle/thread size.  I'm no expert but if i offer up something maybe one of the SME's will chime in and correct me...lol.  With the attached picture it's hard to tell, but perhaps if this is the top side, you have a bobbin that wasn't wound consistently, or had a loose wind?  The bobbin tension should resolve that though...hmmmm, 30 stitches at whatever stitch length you're using, maybe it's a spot where sewing a straight line, you move your hand position and maybe push a little or pull a little more?  Again apologies, as I could only guess, how does the bottom side of the stitch look? did it miss//skip there as well?

Hey @koreric75, I'm using a highland cylinder arm machine. My needle is a standard leather needle for that machine. The thing is , when i use my standard foot- that i use all the time , it does not do any loose stitches. it seems to be about the fact I'm using the right handed foot . i will try adjusting the bobbin and using a different bobbin and see if that helps too though!

26 minutes ago, SonderingSusan said:

Hey @koreric75, I'm using a highland cylinder arm machine. My needle is a standard leather needle for that machine. The thing is , when i use my standard foot- that i use all the time , it does not do any loose stitches. it seems to be about the fact I'm using the right handed foot . i will try adjusting the bobbin and using a different bobbin and see if that helps too though!

Cool, let us know if it works, like i said, i'm no sewing machine expert, but i can troubleshoot...if it's a consistent # stitches, every time, it sounds like something mechanical, so the top stitch is what is loose and that is pulled through from the bobbin side when the hook passes by the needle and picks up the bobbing thread.  Watching a few of @Uwe videos on timing and hook/needle positioning there are gears underneath that are adjusted to dial them in.  I don't even have a walking foot machine yet but have been watching anything he's posted so when i do finally get one I understand the mechanics and theory.   If you do a google search like this "site:leatherworker.net uwe cylinder bed loose stitch"    it'll bring up posts related to what you're looking, also just search on his youtube... youtube  https://www.youtube.com/user/UweXY/search?query=hook

also @Wizcrafts has many informative posts about anything sewing machine... here's a link to a youtube vid that is interesting...I'm not sure if you have a walking foot or not  https://youtu.be/hBblZzdEmcA

Edited by koreric75
added info