SteveHolt

Edge Paint on Glued Leather/Fabric

Hey guys!

I am having issues with the edges on some of the belts I am making. I’m using 8-9oz Veg-Tan glued to a thin faux-fabric liner with Barges Contact Cement. I’ve attached a picture, not a very good one. 

After sanding the edges with low and high grit sandpapers, burnishing, and then applying edge paint (I’ve used Fiebings Edge Kote as well as Fenice), I still can’t seem to get the edge I want. The leather portion is smooth, but the fabric portion always feels so rough. I trim the overlapping fabric as much as possible without exposing the leather on the back side. 

Maybe not sanding enough? Not trimming the fabric close enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for what you do on this board. 

Cheers!

31434163-6539-49B2-AE09-542B0C517ACE.png

I use edge paint on one product which has fabric lining and leather outer. I find that several coats are needed, so that when sanding back the fabric fibres aren't exposed. I've also found that putting a folded edge on the fabric helps to keep it neat, rather than a cut edge.

Thanks Matt! I’m going to add an extra coat or two on next project and see if that helps. 

Also, forgive me in advance as I am still new to the craft, but when you say folded edge on the fabric, do you mean literally folding the fabric over onto the edge and gluing down? Because cutting a clean edge seems to be a big issue for me. 

Thanks again!

First of all, I think you should use a thin layer of calf skin, goat, etc. for the back of your belts. The faux material is going to wear immaturely I think.

I believe Matt is suggesting you make a rolled edge on your fabric then gluing it to your leather with the rolled edge at the edge of your leather. That would help the painted edge maybe while making it more difficult to make the belt.

Ferg

There are products out there that are supposed to stop fraying but why pay extra for a special bottle when it's basically white glue. I've never lined a belt with fabric but I do what Matt suggests when I'm lining a wallet or bag, especially on the open sides.