jmedel02

Issues with Juki LU-563

Hello all! I'm new to sewing leather on an industrial sewing machine and I was wondering if I can get some help figuring out a solution to a problem I'm having with the sewing machine I recently purchased. The machine is a Juki LU-563. I purchased it used from a private seller. I've attached some photos of the issue I'm having because I don't know what the term is for this particular type of problem. The veg tan leather piece is the bottom piece. I'd appreciate any advice on how to fix this problem.

20180321_053020.png

Is the feed dog coming above the needle  plate as the needle & inside foot move back?

Back off the foot pressure screw! That is way too much downward pressure for that thickness and density of leather. You only need to apply enough foot pressure to prevent the material from lifting as the needle ascends.

Thanks for the responding. Here I took a picture see if this answers your question. My apologies I'm new to this and still haven't figured out how to configure the machine.

20180321_152502.jpg

Lower the feed dog so that just tops of the teeth are showing top of the throat plate during the transport cycle. They need to be very slightly above the plane of the throat plate, but not that high.

I'll give it a try see if it resolves my issue. I'll update soon.

My apologies. I've been busy lately. I tried what was suggested and it worked! Thank you everyone for your advice.

I am in the market for a sewing machine to increase my production of some items. I've found a Juki Industrial LU-563 in my area for what looks like a good price. I mainly make wallets, watch straps and belts. Can anyone speak to the max thickness this model can sew through? Right now I am hand sewing through at a max of 8 to 10oz veg tan leather. Would this model have an easy time working with garment leather and chrome tan leather? I would like to make totes using chrome tan leather at a thickness of 4oz doubled at the seams.

Thank you

26 minutes ago, 227Crafting said:

I am in the market for a sewing machine to increase my production of some items. I've found a Juki Industrial LU-563 in my area for what looks like a good price. I mainly make wallets, watch straps and belts. Can anyone speak to the max thickness this model can sew through? Right now I am hand sewing through at a max of 8 to 10oz veg tan leather. Would this model have an easy time working with garment leather and chrome tan leather? I would like to make totes using chrome tan leather at a thickness of 4oz doubled at the seams.

Thank you

Approximately 3/8 of an inch maximum under the working feet.

Isn't this a textile feed dog in the picture? I thought leather dogs should be smooth or slightly checkered, where heavy duty textile dogs are sharply serrated.

19 minutes ago, DrmCa said:

Isn't this a textile feed dog in the picture? I thought leather dogs should be smooth or slightly checkered, where heavy duty textile dogs are sharply serrated.

It is a Juki feed dog for the LU-562 and 563. It is what it is.

9 hours ago, DrmCa said:

All of my used machines came with that type of feed dog, for what it's worth, and the replacement feet/feed dog assembly that I bought for my Pfaff 335 also had serrated teeth.